Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,624 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to Kansas City looking to live in a good, save, low-crime neighborhood where he can easily meet other singles. He would prefer to live in walking distance of a lively area with restaurants, bars etc. He is looking to rent an appartment, loft or similar. Can anybody make any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM

476 posts, read 1,317,088 times
Downtown. There are many lofts now and it is an up and coming area and he can walk to the Power and Light District. It is pretty safe - I'd recommend somewhere in the Crossroads. I always see young people walking their dogs or jogging.

The Plaza is also a terrific area with tons of young people and a great (albeit pricey) bar and restaurant district. Its probably the most walkable area in the city. Lots of great people watching there, and some of the nicest parks in the city - Mill Creek and Loose Park - are nearby. Rent there can be a bit pricey, but if you shop around you should be able to find something reasonable.

Westport is a bit more affordable but a bit noisier. It has a bar district as well. It has a reputation for not being as safe.

The River Market is also an up and coming area, although there aren't that many bars yet, but you're still very close to downtown.

You should also take note these are all in Missouri, not Kansas. Kansas is the suburban part of KC, and is more bedroom communities and families.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 10,624 times
Default Living single in Kansas City

Thank you so much. this is very valuable information for us.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 PM

886 posts, read 2,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renategrupp View Post
My son is moving to Kansas City looking to live in a good, save, low-crime neighborhood where he can easily meet other singles. He would prefer to live in walking distance of a lively area with restaurants, bars etc. He is looking to rent an appartment, loft or similar. Can anybody make any suggestions?
Downtown (Crossroads district, River Market district, P&L district, Quality Hill District..), Westport, or the Plaza....

all of those would be good choices. Very walkable, lots to do. Prices ranging from low to very high for apartments so depends how much he wants to spend. I would say he would find the best prices and the safest areas downtown. Westport is awesome and safe IMO, but it can be a bit more rowdy too. Some people may say it's unsafe but thats really just a stereotype.. the majority of people living in the area are college kids.

Plaza is the more upscale and more expensive area.

Downtown will have the biggest range of prices, you can find lofts for $500/month to 2 bedrooms for $800/month, and other upscale places for $2000/month.

The River Market in Kansas City - Home

River Market is pretty cool I think, and a lot of people live there, it's only about a 10-15 min walk to P&L district.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Yep, River Market, downtown, Crossroads, Plaza, Westport are probably gonna be best suited to what he's looking for. Of those areas, I've only lived in the Plaza, and even for somebody making a modest middle class income such as myself, it was a nice place to live. When you live on the Plaza and aren't loaded, you don't necessarily do your spending on the Plaza, but it's nice to have the aesthetics of it right there. And not all retail and dining on the Plaza is high end, either. I frequented places in my price range, spent a lot of time just enjoying the courtyards, sculptures, fountains, parks, browsed in places out of my price range when I felt like it, and rented a nice apartment in a classy vintage building in "The Poets" that was wholly affordable. So not ALL of the Plaza is inaccessible due to expense. There are bargains to be found.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 AM

886 posts, read 2,227,945 times
Yeah my bad.... I meant pricey as in if you shop at the Plaza daily LOL.

and there are plenty of reasonable priced places there too... my problem is (and I had this downtown KC too) I wanna eat out all the time cuz there is so much to walk too

Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Yeah my bad.... I meant pricey as in if you shop at the Plaza daily LOL.

and there are plenty of reasonable priced places there too...
Indeed. When I lived there, most of my shopping money was spent at Panera, Barnes & Noble, Latteland, Cinemark, and Bath and Body Works. I don't think I ever dropped a dime anyplace else as a shopper. Except Function Junction during its liquidation sale.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM

448 posts, read 1,459,641 times
The other posters gave really great responses. I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: