Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,105,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Crown Center wouldn't be my first pick, if walkability is a priority, personally. There's just not much to walk TO, beyond Union Station and the Liberty Memorial. There are other neighborhoods that come to mind much more when I think of walkability.
Thanks.
Any specific Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Plaza, Westport, City Market, even Brookside and Waldo are all a bit more walkable, although the first two have by far the most retail if that's a priority. Crown Center does have a mall, but it's mainly touristy stuff.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Biking under a mile is no great problem for me.

Is "Groceries: Deerfield Energy- : 356 ft" less well stocked tham Consentino's?
^Never heard of it. Ignore Walkscore lists as much is way off. It lists Mill Creek Park downtown but is near Plaza, 40 blocks away. I suppose the scores are OK relative between hoods but what they list often doesn't make much sense or is just wrong.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Yeah, I have no idea what Deerfield Energy, Inc. is, and neither does Google.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^Never heard of it. Ignore Walkscore lists as much is way off. It lists Mill Creek Park downtown but is near Plaza, 40 blocks away. I suppose the scores are OK relative between hoods but what they list often doesn't make much sense or is just wrong.
Thanks, X.
That's why I am here.
Do you have any comments on that 909 Walnut St Apartment/Condo?
It looks like a converted office tower.

I gather you like Lofts.
Are the ones near you like in New York City - Tribeca?

This painting was painted in a Loft I found some years ago:

Triumph Over Mastery II

But that's a long story....

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks, X.
That's why I am here.
Do you have any comments on that 909 Walnut St Apartment/Condo?
It looks like a converted office tower.

I gather you like Lofts.
Are the ones near you like in New York City - Tribeca?
Can't compare KC to NYC in any way really - just pointing out KC has a lot of 'real' warehouse style lofts in 3 warehouse districts, many are Tribeca era buildings but comparisons stop there. Crossroads is sort of like Williamsburgh in Brooklyn with about as many galleries but very low population density and places are scattered. West Bottoms is very much like DUMBO in Brooklyn before gentrified, but is very isolated from downtown down a bluff. River Market is like a quaint E Coast river town with mostly warehouse loft conversions and some new contemp buildings. The big difference is that KC lofts are dirt cheap in comparison and much larger rooms than you'd find on E Coast. Be prepared that KC is very low density, even in city. Friend of mine from Shanghai likes that, people not living on top of each other. If you want density, KC won't be for you. But it looks like you are looking for smaller cities, so KC should be a good balance.

Are you coming directly from Hong Kong or originally from there?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Are you coming directly from Hong Kong or originally from there?
I am American, through and through, but have lived outside the US for most if the last two decades:
London and Hong Kong.

I am originally from Detroit. And have lived in: Boston, New York City, and Chicago over the years.

The lesser density will take some getting used to, so will
the wide roads, and speeding cars.

Still, it seems that KC may have most of what I am looking for, but I am on a steep learning curve right now.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM

377 posts, read 570,455 times
OP, you might be spinning your wheels a bit by relying on WalkScore or any other online source for information about the livability of a city. As another person pointed out, some of the information you found about the condos on Walnut was just plain wrong. I'd suggest visiting KC in about six weeks when spring has sprung, staying in Westport (puts you right in the center of things) and walking and cycling until you drop until you feel like you've gotten a taste of all the 'hoods. You just can't learn what it's like to live someplace until you get there and wander.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I am American, through and through, but have lived outside the US for most if the last two decades:
London and Hong Kong.

I am originally from Detroit. And have lived in: Boston, New York City, and Chicago over the years.
If you want a large scale city in those categories, KC won't be for you. But the lower density/lower cost of KC with many bigger city amenities gives a pretty good balance. Much more to offer than the smaller cities you are considering, much less hassle than larger cities.

And as mentioned, check Westport/Plaza area too as it's more lively than downtown on a daily basis - if that is important to you.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
If you want a large scale city in those categories, KC won't be for you. But the lower density/lower cost of KC with many bigger city amenities gives a pretty good balance.
Actually, I was a bit shocked when I saw how low the costs could be.

Example:
Quote:
Thanks for those comments.
909 Walnut StAPT 1403, Kansas City, MO 64106
For Sale: $242,100 / Zestimate®: $223,304
=======================================
This place shows a property tax of $165 per Zillow. Can that be right?
If so, then it must be related to the "abatement" which expires in 2026?

This is a bit worrisome:
+ How does the City earn the revenues it needs to pay for infrastructure? Is there a big deficit?

+ 2026 seems a long time from now. But if you live there for 5 years, the time will be much closer when you want to sell. I can imagine the price of the property DROPPING each year as the end of the abatement period approaches. These places may be like burning matches. And therefore not a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City