Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely amazing. This might be the biggest music event this city has ever seen.

Eminem, Muse, The Black Keys, A Perfect Circle, The Flaming Lips, Kid Cudi, D12, Girl Talk, Primus, Flogging Molly, Jack's Mannequin, Arctic Monkeys, Fitz & The Tantrums, & Tinie Tempah plus several more to be announced.

Expected attendance is 10,000 for the 2 day music festival. This will bring a ton of attention and money to the area.

Early bird tickets go one sale tomorrow for $159 and will go to $179 after that. I will be buying my tickets in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
Biggest? Well 10K is pretty small for a festival, did you mean 100K? An arena show alone draws more than that. With ticket prices that high, I could see why only 10K would be expected. Most fests in KC draw 50-100K like RockFest and Jazz fest in the 90s. Stadium shows draw 80K or more.

The Omega fest outside Lawrence in the 90s was pretty wild, which was a 3 day overnight fest. I miss Reggae fest that was held in Penn Valley park, which drew about 40K a day in its peak years.

I'm sure you meant the lineup though, which is of course subjective. The biggest event in KC history to those who know history of music was probably the Coleman Hawkins match up against Lester Young, with Charlie Parker in the wings.

Last edited by xenokc; 04-25-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

396 posts, read 999,113 times
This is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Looks interesting. I would be more inclined to go to an event like this than something like rockfest. Rockfest is a bit too…well, never mind haha. But I like having a seat and being in an actual venue.

I can see this drawing 100k (50k each day). At least in the first year as everybody checks it out. It could turn into a pretty big annual event.

Not a bad lineup either.

xenokc, Reggae Fest was freaking awesome. One of the best festivals in KC. That brings back some good memories. Same with the peak years of Spirit Fest and the Blues and Jazz Festivals. Those events used to bring 40-100k plus downtown in their peak years. Spirit Fest was a big deal at one time.
I was at Spirit Fest with 120,000 others when Bob Dillan headlined. Good times.

But all those types of festivals have really lost their draw or popularity or something. Same deal with the VP Fair (now Fair StLous). I don’t think that is anything like it used to be either.

Speaking of big concerts at Arrowhead. Pink Floyd was pretty amazing there. I think there were 80-90k in that stadium.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-25-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Geeze, I must be really over the hill. I've only heard of Eminem, and the only Flaming Lips I know is my husband's nephew's band in the UK...and I doubt it's the same Flaming Lips. In any case, I hope it's a great success, but wow, terrible name for a festival.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM

216 posts, read 623,600 times
KCMO Wrote: Bob Dillan

DYLAN! Please KCMO. I can ignore lots of things, but misspelling the great man's name? Who has ever heard of Dillan Thomas?

(Please accept my comments in the spirit they are intended. With humor!)

And by the way a Reggaefest sounds like a good time to me. I wish that was still a fixture in the area. Much preferred to Eminem and Flaming Lips. But hey, if it brings a bunch of music lovers in and heats up the local entertainment scene, it is good in my book. Wish them lots of great music and fun times. And peace. No disasters.

Are there any other local music gatherings that people know of? Places where one might feel comfortable with school aged kids? We like to get our two out to hear live music as much as possible, even just local bands... we are all about the music in our family.

Including Bob Dylan.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
wow, terrible name for a festival.
You can say that again.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
KCMO Wrote: Bob Dillan

DYLAN! Please KCMO. I can ignore lots of things, but misspelling the great man's name? Who has ever heard of Dillan Thomas?

(Please accept my comments in the spirit they are intended. With humor!)

And by the way a Reggaefest sounds like a good time to me. I wish that was still a fixture in the area. Much preferred to Eminem and Flaming Lips. But hey, if it brings a bunch of music lovers in and heats up the local entertainment scene, it is good in my book. Wish them lots of great music and fun times. And peace. No disasters.

Are there any other local music gatherings that people know of? Places where one might feel comfortable with school aged kids? We like to get our two out to hear live music as much as possible, even just local bands... we are all about the music in our family.

Including Bob Dylan.
Sorry about that (Dylan)

Reggaefest needs to come back, but if it does, that should be a downtown event like Penn Valley Park.

One of the better family friendly festivals (and great for adults too) is the Corporate Woods Jazz Festival. That's a pretty good jazz fest. But KCMO needs to bring back the bigger jazz and blues festival. That was a pretty big deal at one time and places like Memphis, Chicago and New Orleans still have them.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
I love the idea but the name is god awful.

Also, I have a problem with it being the first week of august in blazing heat. Is there even a single tree over in that area for someone to get relief at 3 pm?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Same deal with the VP Fair (now Fair StLous). I don’t think that is anything like it used to be either.
I don't know if that's true -- They regularly get about a million people down there (give or take a couple hundred thousand either way based on weather).

And I know last year was one of the biggest since 2006 when they last did the air show.

It's pretty much always been the second largest 4th of July weekend event in the Midwest (after Chicago's Taste which is honestly so painfully overcrowded -- and overpriced -- as to be no fun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City