Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Do you know what year your map is from? In my 1877 atlas there is not an island there, nor is it there on my 1979 map. It was probably one of many islands that came and went at the whim of the Mighty Mo.
The map was 1904. The island was still there in 1929.

I have never paid much attention to Blue Mills. Knew it was there. Knew there was a Blue Mills Road but thought since I had only heard of Blue Mills Landing that Blue Mills was on the Missouri River somewhere but it was actually on the Little Blue. The Little Blue has even shifted away from the site of the old mill.

Two foundations there and so dilapidated that there is no real understanding of what it all means but someone has put it it up as a National Historic site.

At any rate, I get a feeling that the Livingston and Independence RR, Livingston, Jones Island, Blue Mills Landing, Independence Chute all have something to do with each other even though they may not have existed at the same time in history.

There was also a Battle of Blue Mills fought apparently on the north side of the river. Iowa troops were involved with the federals against the Rebs.

I see where there was a Liberty Landing a little further east down the Missouri. Heard of that one also, but never did know exactly where it was at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Okay, Indepenedence, Jackson County history fans, what is this place?

Well, I guess the others don't have a guess, so I'll answer.

This is the town of Buckner Hill along the route of the Wyandotte, Kansas City & Northwestern RR (aka the Narrow Gauge). Later the town name was shortened to Buckner, and the RR became the Lexington Branch of the MoPac and was converted to standard gauge.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Well, I guess the others don't have a guess, so I'll answer.

This is the town of Buckner Hill along the route of the Wyandotte, Kansas City & Northwestern RR (aka the Narrow Gauge). Later the town name was shortened to Buckner, and the RR became the Lexington Branch of the MoPac and was converted to standard gauge.

The town was named for a former general officer who lived on a hill near the future town. He had passed away before the town was ever envisioned in 1875.

One description of the city indicates it was called Buckner Hill for many years but the 1881 History of Jackson County refers to it in many pages only as Buckner.

The town cemetery is still named Buckner Hill.

There used to be a United Super on the north side of Highway 24. Walker Cooper’s skating rink was in that area also.

Lasater Ford advertised metro wide on radio, TV, and the Star. They were on the north side of Highway 24 and I think the first business coming into Buckner from the west. I recall seeing their car lot one time and could not believe such a large dealer could be in such a small town. It seemed like it had acres of cars.

A few years back Buckner increased its size—most probably being influenced by the eastward advance of Independence. But, I think they might have bit off more than they could chew and it still may be that way.

The building that stands out in my mind thinking of Buckner was the high school right there at the only stop light in town. I guess they all go to Ft Osage, now. I just looked and that location is a new elementary school of the Ft Osage district.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
The map was 1904. The island was still there in 1929.

I have never paid much attention to Blue Mills. Knew it was there. Knew there was a Blue Mills Road but thought since I had only heard of Blue Mills Landing that Blue Mills was on the Missouri River somewhere but it was actually on the Little Blue. The Little Blue has even shifted away from the site of the old mill.

Two foundations there and so dilapidated that there is no real understanding of what it all means but someone has put it it up as a National Historic site.

At any rate, I get a feeling that the Livingston and Independence RR, Livingston, Jones Island, Blue Mills Landing, Independence Chute all have something to do with each other even though they may not have existed at the same time in history.

There was also a Battle of Blue Mills fought apparently on the north side of the river. Iowa troops were involved with the federals against the Rebs.

I see where there was a Liberty Landing a little further east down the Missouri. Heard of that one also, but never did know exactly where it was at.

According to Pearl Wilcox, my maternal GG GF was one of the founders of the Blue Mills in the 1830s and its long time manager for which he as paid the grand total of $600/yr. He also was the treasurer of the Township (Blue Township I presume) and postmaster of Blue Mills. I visited the family plot on Perrin Rd. when I was in KC last year.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
According to Pearl Wilcox, my maternal GG GF was one of the founders of the Blue Mills in the 1830s and its long time manager for which he as paid the grand total of $600/yr. He also was the treasurer of the Township (Blue Township I presume) and postmaster of Blue Mills. I visited the family plot on Perrin Rd. when I was in KC last year.
Civil Townships (not to be confused with a Survey Townships) such as Blue, use to be the grassroots of county government.

In each township, there was a township seat (in place of a county seat), a township hall (in place of a courthouse), two constables who were the township policemen reporting to the sheriff, a state court overseen by a justice of the peace, and the township was responsible for creating and maintaining county roads within the township. At least this was the way it was in Kansas. I suspect it was similar in Missouri.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM

Civil Townships today in most places generally exist mostly for voting purposes and for old time cemetery management purposes. Transportation and communications have generally rendered them obsolete.

Jackson County had four original civil townships:
Fort Osage
Blue
Kaw
Harmony

And added more as the population grew:

Boone (1830)
Sni-a-bar (1834)
Washington (1836)
Van Buren (1837)
Prairie (1860)
Westport (1869)
Brooking (1872)

Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM

This one is for MRG Dallas

What is the name of this place? It was seven miles southwest of Raytown.

You may be there already.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
This one is for MRG Dallas

What is the name of this place? It was seven miles southwest of Raytown.

You may be there already.

Watts Mill?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Watts Mill?
Chuckle--this is hilarious--when I posted this, I did not see Watt's Mill right there are the north bank of Indian Creek. Never even noticed Watts owning all that land. Getting old, I guess.

Watt's Mill is an excellent answer even though it was not what I was referring to.

The blanked out portion is the community of Dallas. Today, most everyone has heard of Watt's Mill but I doubt if many know about Dallas--I didn't.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Chuckle--this is hilarious--when I posted this, I did not see Watt's Mill right there are the north bank of Indian Creek. Never even noticed Watts owning all that land. Getting old, I guess.

Watt's Mill is an excellent answer even though it was not what I was referring to.

The blanked out portion is the community of Dallas. Today, most everyone has heard of Watt's Mill but I doubt if many know about Dallas--I didn't.

Ha! That is funny. I thought you picked up on Pearl's topic of Watts Mill the page after Blue Mills.

I was unaware of "Dallas" And yes, that part of your post puzzled me since I didn't get the connection.

Where are you finding all these maps? Are they part of the Historical Atlas published by JaCo Historical Society? I bought one from 1877 at the HS located in the Commerce Bank bldg on Truman & Main. Has great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City