Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
You got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
My initial guess is that is a two-lane Noland Road going south with a divided Southside Boulevard veering off at an arc going west.

Fair Street is going east from the arc across Noland.
As a kid, I always wondered why Southside Boulevard was a divided four lane street for just a short distance.

I also was confused as to why a street was named Southside when it was more in the middle of city.

In that same photo, but out of site on Noland Road the street just south of Alton (23rd) intersection was a divided four lane for about 200 feet or so. In later years, I thought maybe the city was trying to have a divided four lane swinging around to Southside and then going further west as some type of grand entry to the city. Somewhere along the way, they may have given up and scrubbed the project.

Noland north of Alton intersection and on to Pacific was four lane as far back as I can remember and probably before I was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Noland Road-71 Bypass

What part of Independence was this in? Would seem to me it might have been north of Truman.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,274 times
Quote:
As a kid, I always wondered why Southside Boulevard was a divided four lane street for just a short distance.

I also was confused as to why a street was named Southside when it was more in the middle of city.

In that same photo, but out of site on Noland Road the street just south of Alton (23rd) intersection was a divided four lane for about 200 feet or so. In later years, I thought maybe the city was trying to have a divided four lane swinging around to Southside and then going further west as some type of grand entry to the city. Somewhere along the way, they may have given up and scrubbed the project.

Noland north of Alton intersection and on to Pacific was four lane as far back as I can remember and probably before I was born.

Maybe because Southside is on the "south side" of 23rd? More than likely though, at some point in time, it was the south side of town.

Of course Noland is now four lanes from 24 Hiway south to 40 Hiway.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,274 times
Quote:
What part of Independence was this in? Would seem to me it might have been north of Truman.

Yes. From the east side of Noland (71 bypass) looking west, with 24 hiway just a block to the north.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I am guessing that is the Missouri Pacific depot at Liberty and Short Streets.
Is this the correct answer or is the place of this photo unknown?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
Here's my last one:
Quote:
I am guessing that is the Missouri Pacific depot at Liberty and Short Streets.
Quote:
Is this the correct answer or is the place of this photo unknown?
To me that depot looks like one in Indiana, not Independence.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
To me that depot looks like one in Indiana, not Independence.
Quote:
Try this one one for size. (Sorry it's somewhat out of focus)
If that would be the case, this one must be from Indiana also, chuckle.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe because Southside is on the "south side" of 23rd? More than likely though, at some point in time, it was the south side of town.

The Independence southern city limits were a block south of Southside Boulevard until 1948.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:

It seems to me that the first expansion of Noland was the south side, the area from the Clark Barnard drug store at Noland and Alton south in stages to I-70. The Noland roadway south of I-70 to US 40 was not expanded until a few years later. The city priority was to get Noland up to four lanes coming into the square area as fast as possible to coincide with the opening of I-70.

At that time, the existing Noland Road four lane island dividers from Pacific to Alton had grass that the city had to keep up by mowing, etc.

In the first stretches of the Noland south expansion, the city tried to emulate the grass dividers by putting in green indoor-outdoor carpeting, where there were island dividers, in place of grass.

That misguided effort did not last very long. At some point the city also got rid of the green grass between Pacific and Alton by replacing with brick pavers.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:

Noland Road-71 Bypass

Using Google Streetview I see that the first two houses still exist. Go to 912 N Noland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City