Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,467,443 times

Advertisements

After some digging I was able to find several sites with free legal forms that you can file yourself. However you will first have to have a copy of your arrest information. I don't know what the court costs are but it will have to be worth it.

I'm glad I stopped by this thread. This has nagged at me for so long. About a year ago, I applied for a job that I really wanted, I was well suited for but I didn't get it because of this. This will remove alot of stress for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,757,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
After some digging I was able to find several sites with free legal forms that you can file yourself. However you will first have to have a copy of your arrest information. I don't know what the court costs are but it will have to be worth it.

I'm glad I stopped by this thread. This has nagged at me for so long. About a year ago, I applied for a job that I really wanted, I was well suited for but I didn't get it because of this. This will remove alot of stress for me.
Can you post the link for these sites! I might need these forms too for my expungement!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Texas Department of Public Safety - Criminal Records Service

Here is the link where I found out some information and then I searched for Texas free legal forms seal record, I think is what I googled, then I saved the PDF to my computer. I can't find the website but I can email you the PDF if you want to send me a message with it.

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...tal/index.aspx
Here is where you can get a copy of your record.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,757,663 times
Oh, thanks.. but I gotta expunge an Illinois felony record!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Oh, thanks.. but I gotta expunge an Illinois felony record!
Just do a search with that state name and free legal forms and seal record or expungement, something to that effect.
I found several sites who were willing to SELL me the forms for 200 bucks but keep looking. You might even contact the courthouse in the jurisdiction where you were arrested and they might be able to direct you.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,381 times
"were willing to SELL me the forms for 200 bucks but keep looking"

Good Advice from Lindsey, but do not on any account pay 200 for forms!

There are 2 ways to do an Expungement!!

First way, go to the court house and Do IT YOURSELF.

or

Hire an attorney in that city to do it for you!!

Hint: Many States do not allow Expungment!! Some states do allow it. Furthermore, a Felony Conviction is not easy to expunge,,, and I don't hold out much hope for you.

But you should at least Try. If you do it yourself, it cost less than 40 bucks!! good luck

Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,381 times
Well, if after 7 years it don't matter in employment... But what about housing"

Yes, it does matter! Since, unless it is a very big company that you can "prove' didn't hire you based on 10 year old record, you will not get or keep the job. Since, they will "come up" with a reason.

So, my advice is to pay the 40 bucks to the court and get your record expunged, IF your state allows it. Or hire an attorney and pay 250 dollars to have them do it, IF your state allow it.

Regarding housing, if you are prejudiced against, it should be easier to prove and sue them, if they have considered a 10 year old record, IF your state doesn't allow it.

again good luck

Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
I was arrested a few years ago on a driving charge (the case was later dropped) but I had a real hoot when the prosecuting attorney, after apparently doing a (obviously hasty) background check, popped up in court and said I had a host of prior convictions ranging from grand larceny to other felony whatevers and a bunch of aliases. Someone obviously had mistyped one digit of my SS number and one middle-aged, blonde white female, 5'6" tall was transformed into a 20 years younger 5'2" black-haired, dark-complected Hispanic female. Even the judge laughed when I pointed out the very obvious discrepancies...

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,327,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, if after 7 years it don't matter in employment... But what about housing"

Yes, it does matter! Since, unless it is a very big company that you can "prove' didn't hire you based on 10 year old record, you will not get or keep the job. Since, they will "come up" with a reason.

So, my advice is to pay the 40 bucks to the court and get your record expunged, IF your state allows it. Or hire an attorney and pay 250 dollars to have them do it, IF your state allow it.

Regarding housing, if you are prejudiced against, it should be easier to prove and sue them, if they have considered a 10 year old record, IF your state doesn't allow it.

again good luck
A lot of companies in states that have the 7-year rule can not gain access to anything outside of that scope. Also, some companies do not gain access to the actual reports; they rely on people like me to grade the reports according to their applicable laws and standards and act on that accordingly. It varies company to company and state to state; there is no universal standard.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
"were willing to SELL me the forms for 200 bucks but keep looking"

Good Advice from Lindsey, but do not on any account pay 200 for forms!

There are 2 ways to do an Expungement!!

First way, go to the court house and Do IT YOURSELF.

or

Hire an attorney in that city to do it for you!!

Hint: Many States do not allow Expungment!! Some states do allow it. Furthermore, a Felony Conviction is not easy to expunge,,, and I don't hold out much hope for you.

But you should at least Try. If you do it yourself, it cost less than 40 bucks!! good luck
It wasn't a felony conviction, I plead no contest to a misdemeanor. The laws in texas to allow for these records to be sealed or expunged. I would go down to the courthouse and do it myself except I now live in Florida, thats a long drive to Texas.

I found the forms and will try filing them myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search