Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Am wondering just how much "Background" is checked by an employer or agency:
Employment Dates/Employment References
(what if a company is no longer is in business?)
Military Years/Duties
(what if military duty was years ago?)
Education (years, classes)
(what if college was also "years ago", didn't finish/left?)
(what if Internet classes were done?)

I know that a Background Check does cost and, depending on the cost will depend on how much is checked. Government jobs check pretty thoroughly, while private sector ones may not.

Pre-Employment Physical: If a Physical is required, can a company refuse to hire a person who has had a couple of surgeries in the past (nothing serious)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
How much is checked by an employer varies widely. Some don't even run background checks at all. Others are very thorough. It is the employer's prerogative to decide what information is relevant and what isn't (within the confines of labor law, of course).

As for a former employer out of business, I just write 'out of business' in parentheses next to their name. Provide military experience if asked, no matter how long ago. Provide college name and dates of attendance, even if years ago. If you didn't complete the degree state 'undergraduate History coursework' or something to that effect. There really is no need to indicate whether the courses were taken online, through 'distance learning' programs or at satellite campuses.

As for a physical, the physical examination has to be limited to the scope of the job you will be performing. Reasons for denial have to be because you have a condition, or lack a condition necessary to perform the job. As for surgeries, usually it is not the surgery itself, but the cause for the surgery that would be the concern.

If you have had prior spinal surgeries, the physician and the employer would be concerned if you were applying for a job involving heavy lifting. If your surgeries indicate that you may have weakness in your limbs or limited motor skills, the employer may be concerned about your ability to operate a construction crane or perform brain surgery.

If you had your appendix removed twenty years ago, an employer wouldn't be concerned about that because neither the surgery nor the lack of appendix would prevent you from doing your job.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Well, on my resume', I really watch the "dates" thing........when a person is 60 years old, believe me THEY HAVE TO!! I am showing 13 years of employment (1 current position and 2 previous), but one of the previous companies has been out of business since 1997, with obviously no Reference or phone number. Went to college back in 1975, but no way am I putting that date on my resume! Went into the Navy in 1968; another date to leave off! But, can be fairly sure that in leaving these dates off, a "red flag" could easily go up by a recruiter or Manager looking at my resume online or faxed to them! In the job I have now, I didn't have to worry about ANY of this, because I own the small in-home business. Unfortunately, it just isn't making it financially at all!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Well a resume and an application are entirely different things. From the wording of your OP, I thought you were talking about an application.

A resume is what qualifications you want to present to an employer. If you want to leave off education or dates or employment or military service, then do that.

An application is document that reflects all of your work history information. Usually this document contains a statement that you must sign, stating that the information you have provided is accurate and complete and that any omissions or false statement may be grounds for dismissal.

Most organizations use a boilerplate application form, or use their own very similar application form, that looks similar to this one: Sample Employment Application

Between these two documents, you can see that most boilerplate forms in some degree avoid requesting information in the 'education' section that would reveal your age. The employment section is limited to only the most recent employment, again limiting the information that might reveal your age.

And regarding the matter of the phone number, as said previously, I suggested you put down their address and phone number and supervisor's name at the time you were employed there. And then note next to the company name that they are now out of business. The fact that they are out of business reveals nothing about you. I have 10 years of experience and two of my past employers are now out of business. The owner of one retired and closed his business and moved to a resort place somewhere, the other succumbed to the most recent economic woes. It isn't a reflection on my work and I do not feel that it has been an issue for me at all during my job search.

Frankly I think most people feel like there is some part of their history that might be subject to scrutiny or question by an employer. More often than not when I talk with HR personnel, they tell me these fears are blown way out of proportion. They tell me the people with nothing really to worry about are the ones who worry too much, and the ones who should be worried about their background are usually defiantly stubbornly insistent that their background shouldn't be a concern for an employer.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 PM

Either way, Resume or Application, at my age, certain resume dates can be a killer for me! No way to prove someone done an "age discrimination" thing on me, but sure can happen. Nothing I can do about it, except to say it stinks!
Actually, a couple of months ago I had a phone interview and the guy asked me if I had a college degree (probably thought I'd left it off of my resume because I do have a college on it that I did attend for a short while) and I told him "no". Then, don't know why, but he asked me if I graduated from high school. I told him "yes" and he asked me what year.......uh oh didn't want to tell him that, but had to. Then, because I had the Navy on my resume, but no dates, he asked me when I was in the Navy......another uh oh! I told him. He told me that he would review my resume and phone interview and get back to me......never did! I called him, left a couple of messages to no avail.
As far as my surgeries go, I've had a rotator cuff surgery and hip replacement.
What about if I pay for a Background Check of myself? Wonder how many people do that just to see what comes back?

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 12-03-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Employment Dates/Employment References
(what if a company is no longer is in business?)
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I'll post it anyway

One of my previous employers is no longer in business and it was a fairly significant chunk of time in my work history. I had normally just noted that it was closed and left it at that, until I went for an interview and the woman said something about it being a lot of time that couldn't be verified, etc. She asked if I could provide a reference from that particular position ... which thankfully, I could (my former supervisor).

After that interview I got in touch with an HR guy from a previous job (we remained in touch after I left). He told me that depending on the circumstances it could be a huge red flag. In my case, it was especially crucial because it was a big chunk of time. He suggested to me that I do indicate they are closed, but make a notation (on my resume) that I can provide a reference that would cover that particular experience.

Whether it makes a difference or not, I'm not sure....but it made a lot of sense

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
He told me that he would review my resume and phone interview and get back to me......never did! I called him, left a couple of messages to no avail.
Gee, maybe because he got the sense that you were hiding something.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,675 times
Default Don't Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

What about if I pay for a Background Check of myself? Wonder how many people do that just to see what comes back?
I haven't done it yet but I've had this site bookmarked forever and it's a free report that you are allowed to request on an annual basis. It's a Lexis Nexis company called Choicepoint. Totally legitimate I'm sure.

ChoicePoint Consumer Full File Disclosure

Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
You can't hide your age. Sooner or later, they'll find out. Not to mention that you probably don't look like a spring chicken any more. (I'm 60 and know I sure don't! LOL)

Yes, you may be denied a job because of your age, which is illegal but almost impossible to prove, but that's just the way it is. Lying about your age to get a job is a good way to get fired from it when they find out.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM

I guess going to college but not getting a degree, for whatever reason, is unheard of?? I mean, there could be a very good reason a person doesn't finish college and get the degree.......right?
Under "EDUCATION", he seen the name/location of the college, my major, but no degree or dates listed. No degree meant that I had to drop out and unable to return. No "attending dates" is because of my age. The "dates thing" also goes for my past military experience......my age! Sure don't want to show dates going back to the late 60's and mid 70's on a resume! These dates could be found out during an interview, but at least I got an in-person interview and I'll be able to explain why they were left off (if asked).
And, I have found out that a lot of companys don't care at all about previous military experience, even if the experience does relate to the job applying for! My last supervisor told me in his office, "I really don't care about college education or past military stuff......period! I was never in the military or have known anyone in the military." All I could say was, "okkkkkkkkkk!"
My wife got her Bachelor's in Business/Accounting in 1997. That is now 12 years ago and she has found out how much Acccounting has changed in the last 12 years......not a lot, but definitely enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Gee, maybe because he got the sense that you were hiding something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search