Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Easy to say you are interested. You have to have demonstrated it in some tangible fashion to set yourself apart.
Doing your research, following the company, endorsing their work/product and expressing genuine promise to contribute beneficially to the corporation and offering to work with feedback about anything I'm able to do to contribute to the company's well-being while offering to job shadow or "post-grad intern" to gain experience and contribute to the company without promise of prospective employment isn't setting yourself apart these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
i think you really have to commit in a tangible way.

such as getting the company logo tattooed on your forehead or offering up one of your children (preferably first-born) to the senior partners.

seriously, i would love to hear an example of a tangible way to show interest in a company.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
#38 is a good post. It's exactly what I do as an employer.
Good for you!!!

But per the article in the OP, that's not what all employers are doing. IF they were, the unemployment rate would be a lot lower than what it is.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think you really have to commit in a tangible way.

such as getting the company logo tattooed on your forehead or offering up one of your children (preferably first-born) to the senior partners.

seriously, i would love to hear an example of a tangible way to show interest in a company.
You might chuckle at this one, then:
Employees Get Tattoo of Company Logo For Pay Raise | TIME.com

Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
I keep seeing the article regarding bringing up wages. The money has to come from somewhere.

Most people start with low wages, and prove themselves as a valuable asset. If people rather sit at home with no money, vs working for a company that pays lower than they like, then go ahead. In the interim, someone will be gathering the experience needed and moving up, while that person sits at home and posts on forums about how life is unfair, and employers suck, etc...

So much attitude against people who can pay you , no wonder most of you are unemployed.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
i can't speak for anyone else, but i'm not talking about people sitting at home unemployed because the pay is not high enough.

i'm talking about qualified people taking jobs that do pay them properly, rather than the ones that don't. and then the employers offering the jobs that pay below market rate are complaining that they can't find people to fill them.

for like the 40th time in this thread, if that is happening then they need to raise their wages OR LOWER THEIR EXPECTATIONS. if you can't afford people with the skills/experience/education you need and/or want, then you need to hire people who don't have them but can learn.

this is, like, capitalism 101 guys. supply and demand.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
ManpowerGroup Annual Talent Shortage Survey Reveals U.S. Employers Making Strides to Build Sustainable... -- MILWAUKEE, May 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

"Among the more than 1,000 U.S. employers surveyed, respondents say they are having difficulty filling open positions because candidates lack technical competencies/hard skills (48 percent); candidates lack workplace competencies/soft skills (33 percent); and because of a lack of/no available candidates (32 percent). "

All I can say is...hogwash
No. They can't find viable candidates because they want someone with 13 years of experience, a Master's Degree and a black belt in Karate for a Receptionist job and pay them minimum wage. In other words, they can't find suckers.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Interesting.

Employers and some skilled jobs themselves have become very skills specific and centric. Employers won't hire unless the candidate has the exact or very close skills match, especially in technology oriented jobs.

Some candidates won't put in the time/efforts to learn/update their new skills or what is required to get hired.

There becomes a gap between skills desired and skills possessed/available.
why won't candidates learn the skills? In my area, companies are looking for people with skills in SPSS, LISREL and R (very specific analyses tools) and many were looking for people with experience writing syntax and code in each. So you know what I did? I bought a few books, downloaded the software, talked to people with experience in them, and taught them to myself. Then, when I went for interviews and they asked if I knew them and what my experience was with them I was able to talk to them and explain projects I had done on them, whether that be on a small project I had done on my own, or in school.

People complain there is a mismatch and that companies should teach them....go teach yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I agree - these HR people are a huge waste of time. They have little to no actual experience doing anything and just have a degree in HR. They're like the career counselors who've never had a job other than as a career counselor, after getting a degree in career counseling. Everyone is so obsessed with a stupid piece of paper.

I was recently told I can't be considered for an internal position because even though I have three graduate degrees (including a PhD) in a closely related field, and 20 years experience actually doing the same job - including 10 as a top performer for my present employer - I don't have the exact right Master's degree they are looking for (doesn't matter that I actually have more graduate credits in that field than an MA would require - they want an actual paper with that name on it). And they complain they can't find people!! The job doesn't even pay that much.
This happened to me too. I was finishing up my PhD, but skipped my masters, so I got turned down for the degree because I was 6 months from completing the PhD. Because I didn't currently have the MS they wouldn't let me apply. This has to do with how the job was written (decided by the hiring mangers) not HR. HR just has to follow policy for legal reasons. I didn't "meet the minimum qualifications" hiring me over someone else could quickly lead to a lawsuit.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
If people rather sit at home with no money, vs working for a company that pays lower than they like, then go ahead. In the interim, someone will be gathering the experience needed and moving up, while that person sits at home and posts on forums about how life is unfair, and employers suck, etc...

So much attitude against people who can pay you , no wonder most of you are unemployed.
Out of my 152 job applications I've filled so far, any of the ones that ask how much I want to be paid I have put minimum wage.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
It's hardly true that employers are looking for perfect candidates and seeking to pay ridiculous wages. It's an extreme assertion.
It's so widespread that recruiters have a name for the elusive perfect candidate: the "purple squirrel".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search