Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
"Talent shortage" translates into "Why can't we find people with 3 to 5 years experience developing the exact product we make here with our specific software package who will work for peanuts?" It's a joke - if companies were actually willing to train new employees and stopped weeding people out based upon absurdities such as which specific software they use, how long they've been out of work, etc. they wouldn't have any trouble finding people. Most of the time when I read articles about "talent shortages" I just wonder how long it'll be until those companies hire visa workers since they "can't find any qualified Americans." Right.

Heck, even today, I still get ads for engineering positions where the first requirement is having X number of years of experience with the specific CAD tool the company uses... because nobody can learn a new CAD tool... crud like that flat-out excludes huge numbers of workers from being "qualified."
Exactly describes situations I've encountered.

Seeking individuals with backgrounds specific to the employer's industry (need familiarity with materials, processes, and terminology), and having X number of years experience with the particular CAD vendor's product they utilize.

Despite living in a metro with a population over two million, outside of a couple of the most popular CAD software packages, training is not likely available locally, and the employer is not willing to provide OJT. It's a non-exempt position, so they won't pay for relo. No wonder some of these openings become perennial postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i like how you skip all the posts questioning your points and asking you for examples or clarifcation and just go back to declaring "kids today! no one is qualified to work! just because! twitter twitter twitter! google aol!"
That's fine.

What that usually shows is that they don't know what they're talking about. Instead, they're just to cover their ears and reaffirm their BS.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
You can not really use that model and analogy in the construction field. Training is essential in that field. No one is born to know anything about everything and is automatically qualified for every position. I am just amazed how companies want the perfect candiate with all of these skills. I'm not entirely too convince that positions half of the times ever get filled. I wonder if companies just post these job openings just to make it look good on their records that they are hiring. I still see job openings which were originally posted months ago, perhaps since December and no one has filled the position.

You've hit on something there. I have been told by more than one employment agency that many companies will post a position already knowing who they are going to hire but because of EEOC rules, the position must be posted for X number of days.

They are also posting positions that have high turnover rates so they always have a "pool" of potential candidates - no immediate need for these people.

Then you have HR folks reviewing applications from qualified people, but not really understanding the desires of the actual department needing the employee. If an application doesn't say VERBATIM what the manager said, the applicant is dumped - even if they are qualified.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Explain...

(otherwise employers wouldn't be whining about a talent shortage in an era where there's a record number of unemployed skilled workers)
No, you explain. You are the one that made the stupid statement.

It's hardly true that employers are looking for perfect candidates and seeking to pay ridiculous wages. It's an extreme assertion.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Fully agree. Lots of Twitter Nation, reality show addicts with new degrees that have no idea what they want to do.

Fortunately I only need a few strong graduates each year that have a real interest in our business, and have been able to find those needles in the haystack.
I've expressed genuine interests towards companies I'm interested in and have been rejected all the same.
Maybe I should start mentioning that I don't use Twitter on my resume in addition to that.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 AM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
You've hit on something there. I have been told by more than one employment agency that many companies will post a position already knowing who they are going to hire but because of EEOC rules, the position must be posted for X number of days.

They are also posting positions that have high turnover rates so they always have a "pool" of potential candidates - no immediate need for these people.

Then you have HR folks reviewing applications from qualified people, but not really understanding the desires of the actual department needing the employee. If an application doesn't say VERBATIM what the manager said, the applicant is dumped - even if they are qualified.
I've applied to some of the places I have friends at. A lot of my friends have gone in to dig out the reason why I get rejected and usually turn up with the same thing: "We're interviewing apparently but they said we're in a hiring freeze."

Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:

It's hardly true that employers are looking for perfect candidates and seeking to pay ridiculous wages. It's an extreme assertion.
I'm not going to keep repeating myself because you and a few others are being thick.

See post #38.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I've expressed genuine interests towards companies I'm interested in and have been rejected all the same.
Maybe I should start mentioning that I don't use Twitter on my resume in addition to that.
Easy to say you are interested. You have to have demonstrated it in some tangible fashion to set yourself apart.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm not going to keep repeating myself because you and a few others are being thick.

See post #38.
#38 is a good post. It's exactly what I do as an employer.

See my reply under related thread titled: "New College" graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search