Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
wow, you guys have seen some odd assessments. That is actually an item from the MMPI. An assessment designed to measure mental health (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which should have no place in a workplace assessment.

I haven't seen those type of items used in years. All items I see today are framed in a work context, which would make that particular item irrelevant. I don't care what you do outside of work unless of course you are a major league athlete and I have invested millions of dollars in you , then I do care if you go sky diving!
Really? They're on every single job application I've filled out online. Then again, I've only been applying to mostly retail and food service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM

382 posts, read 664,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
those psychological questions are not like this. You will see a lot of people who tried to answer what they think the employers want got very low score.

1. I work under a great deal of tension T/F
2. I have diarrhea once a month or more T/F
3. I had never worked under any tension. T/F

Question 1 and 3 are the same. it just asked differently. If you see people have both T or both F on 1 and 3, they are mostly likely going to fail the test.

They will ask the same questions many time, but just worded differently.
A whole lot of retail assessment tests are like that. I guess the whole purpose of those tests is to determine how consistent the person is with the answers. Even though you could have diarrhea due to IBS though or some other medical condition. The bad thing about those tests is that everything is either black or white. There is no such thing as an gray area. The worst thing is the fact that people would waste well over an hour just to take the assessment. Chances are slim that they would get approved for the next round of trick questions.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
These lists are stupid. I've seen what they send out to fill skilled trade jobs. Skilled tradesman they are not. Of course, that usually the best they can get for $13/hr and no bennies. Those of us worth our salt would rather work construction or cut grass than accept the peanuts they in turn expect to pay. Last place I was at used a temp service. They sent out 4 guys for skilled trade positions. 3 of them didn't last more than a couple weeks (one carried his "tools" in a tackle box) and the other one kept destroying tooling and scrapping work on jobs that were already set up. These temp agencies aren't worth a crap for skilled trades because they don't know the definition.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I don't think that any I/O Psychologist would disagree. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are well aware there are strong racial differences when it comes to GMA and again as you know there are laws regarding disparate and/or adverse impact on protected classes. For this reason almost all organizations shy away from using GMA assessments. It's an unfortunate issue that I deal with on a daily basis. You are right, I have said multiple times I am not a fan of the use of personality as a selection technique and I know many others in my field that feel the same way.Unfortunately those type of assessments are marketed as the answer because they don't have any disparate/adverse impact and they do have some (although I would argue limited) utility when it comes to very large applicant pools (tens of thousands).

There are also cases when GMA becomes less predictive due to range restriction. If for example, I am selecting a doctor for residence as my neurosurgeon. What do you think will be more predictive of success at that point? GMA, or other attributes? Simple statistics will tell you if there is very little to no variation in a set of numbers (Var1; GMA in this sense) it can't have any relationship with any other set of numbers (Var2; Job Performance in this sense). However, these doctors are likely to have very real differences regarding JP, so it has to come from somewhere. Often times this is a number of factors, motivation to succeed, bedside manner, collaboration, etc.). These are often times things that the assessments you mention attempt to capture (although whether they do or do not in high-stakes testing situations is another argument all together and I wouldn't completely disagree with you).

But overall I do agree with you that many times those personality tests are marketed by companies that are selling a product and the utility they have (especially in jobs with rather small applicant pools; 30-50 applicants per job) is extremely limited. That is an issue of organizations not understanding the science and testing vendors "selling their product" by "beefing" up their research behind the product(s). That is why many of the bigger organizations are hiring I/O PhDs like myself to act as buffers between these vendors and weed out the BS.
If companies are so worried about adverse impact, then why do so many employers refuse to hire the currently unemployed (unemployment is much higher amongst African Americans than whites)? At least, GMA have a demonstrated level of validity, whereas discrimination against the unemployed has not been validated (at least to my knowledge) to result in the selection of a better candidate.

Also, are there any court cases where an applicant successfully sued an employer for using GMA test? To my knowledge, most disparate impact cases involved either a mandatory high school diploma for manual labor (in the context of the 1970s South where many adult African Americans could not complete high school due to segregation) or height/weight requirements (which impacts sex).

Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I keep seeing the article regarding bringing up wages. The money has to come from somewhere.

Most people start with low wages, and prove themselves as a valuable asset. If people rather sit at home with no money, vs working for a company that pays lower than they like, then go ahead. In the interim, someone will be gathering the experience needed and moving up, while that person sits at home and posts on forums about how life is unfair, and employers suck, etc...

So much attitude against people who can pay you , no wonder most of you are unemployed.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We have an overabundance of low skilled people applying for technical experienced jobs.

Two generations of people have been fooled into the "everyone needs to go to college" scam instead of entering trade schools or apprenticeships.

A degree in English Literature will not get you a technical job....no matter what people tell you.
Apprenticeships were funded by employers. Employers continuously cut out these apprenticeship programs in favor of working the babyboomers 80 hours a week until they plopped over on the job. It is only recently that I have seen employers, big and small, start to reintroduce formal apprenticeships. I'm afraid it's too little, too late though. The good tradesman are retiring at the speed of light. Many have left their trades years ago because they found easier ways to earn more money. Whose going to teach these apprentices? The guys who weren't smart enough to figure out a better way, that's who.

Of course, the next challenge is how to educate young folks in the trades. Trade schools have been gutted, technical colleges cut out programs, and HS has all but dismantled their vocational classes. The cost of training a tradesman is extremely expensive. A machine shop class requires tens of thousands of dollars of machinery to educate maybe a dozen students at most. Some equipment can reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars if you really want to teach them modern methods. When they complete the class, no employer will touch them because they want a fully functional tradesman. And of course, injuries, whether on the job or in the class are astronomically expensive. If they actually do find a related job, they will be too slow to match the experienced workers productive capacity. This means they will be doing grunt work for years instead of learning the job.

We have a low skill populous for more reasons than just one. It ain't that we are particularly lazy, not anymore than before, and not any more than other 1st world nations. Just consider the pay... Americans will work hard if you give them the incentive. $8/hr no bennies through the temp service ain't it. I would be clawing my way to welfare too.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 PM

241 posts, read 585,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
$70K in NYC is not really a good salary for a software developer, not even with little experience.
This is a kid just graduating from college. $70K, full benefits, chance for ownership in the company. Still think so?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM

241 posts, read 585,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
No, it's not a good salary. But it apparently includes equity "potential", although you can bet it's non-voting equity, which basically leaves the employee's equity at the hands of other people.

In 15 years as a hiring manager of various levels in technology, I've heard about every shtick there is. The startups offering equity shares always talk like captains of Silicon Valley, and demand nothing less than the finest people at cut rate prices, but of course, with the promise of piles of money at a later date.

I'm not saying it's true for this guy's offer, but it's true across the industry. In almost every case, a person is better off holding out for prevailing market salary rather than taking a job with the "potential" for future earnings via equity shares. A few people get rich that way, but in general, most would be better off financially in the long run, having more money today instead of the small chance of getting a lot more money in the future.
Did you miss that this is for a graduating college student? I'm not looking for a person with 5+ years of experience; I would agree that $70K is much too low for that person.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
This is a kid just graduating from college. $70K, full benefits, chance for ownership in the company. Still think so?
Ok, I'm not going to critique, but I will say that whole "chance at ownership" bit doesn't sound healthy. It sounds like a sales ploy to accept a deal that isn't in the buyer's best interest. I've actually heard similar offers in the past. Work for us as you will be running the show in a couple years... Except the pay is quite a bit under fair market value. Most of us looking for a job deal with hard, concrete figures. A chance isn't something I can deposit into my savings account.

70K would be good for most people, but what do entry level candidates normally go for in that market?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Apprenticeships were funded by employers. Employers continuously cut out these apprenticeship programs.
The start of this graph = apprenticeship era.

The end = invest in yourself or why should anyone else?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search