Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM

460 posts, read 1,143,628 times

Advertisements

It is like a rollercoaster I try so hard to keep myself up and then proceed to bang my head against an electronic wall...and come to another lull. It is very frustrating for people that are proactive it feels akin to the hamster running in his wheel, but not getting awhere. I currently have a position, but I literally have no idea how much longer. I feel really badly for those who are unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM

30,589 posts, read 24,004,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.

I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.

Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.

I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?

Sorry to rant. Ugh.
I have several part time jobs but have been looking for a full time job since I got here a year ago.

I have put out over 50 resumes/applications.

My attitude now? I don't expect even a phone call or a letter stating, "Hey, thanks for applying, we'll let you know". If I actually get a phone call, I'll probably fall over in a faint.

Right now I'm working a serious connection and even then it's dragging on and on and on. I know they are not done hiring but it's been a month and my hope that was lit like a wild fire is starting to burn out.

It's extremely frustrating and yah, while I'm still applying at whatever, (11 resumes just today), I'm losing all faith that I'll ever get a full time job again.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM

45 posts, read 85,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your last sentence is particularly telling. I find it very sad that many (before I get jumped on, not all) people who post here seem to have problems with socializing period.
It's too bad that it's like this, but in general, it tends to be futile trying to build a network online (which is different than networking online with the folks already in your network).

This is because the types of folks who are regulars in venues like this, the folks who have 10,000 posts or whatever, tend to be people who aren't very sociable. That's why they're spending so much time communicating online in the first place. So if you try to build a network online, you're going to the pool of people who are just about the worst candidates for it.

You need to get out into the "real world" and be friendly with people to build a network.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,616,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have several part time jobs but have been looking for a full time job since I got here a year ago.

I have put out over 50 resumes/applications.

My attitude now? I don't expect even a phone call or a letter stating, "Hey, thanks for applying, we'll let you know". If I actually get a phone call, I'll probably fall over in a faint.

Right now I'm working a serious connection and even then it's dragging on and on and on. I know they are not done hiring but it's been a month and my hope that was lit like a wild fire is starting to burn out.

It's extremely frustrating and yah, while I'm still applying at whatever, (11 resumes just today), I'm losing all faith that I'll ever get a full time job again.
Truth to this, actually recieving a phone call is equivalent to winning the lottery and getting an ACTUAL in person interview is like meeting god himself- no exageration, totally serious

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM

76 posts, read 91,395 times
i hate how i have had 10 job interviews the past 6 months, since January and still no luck getting hired, most recently 2 interviews last week

Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,616,987 times
thats not bad 10 interviews in the past 6months. People would kill for interviews most of the time its the "thank you for applying email" and thats it.... no one ever gets back to you

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 AM

72 posts, read 171,081 times
Pessimism is every humans default disposition in regards to everything.

The point is to overcome that.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,280,333 times
Quote:
Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.
I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.
Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.
I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?
Sorry to rant. Ugh.
Sounds like you are a tad stressed over waiting to hear about this job. I am retired now but when I was out there looking for work, I use to feel exactly like you did.."Gosh I am so perfect for that position". I had been working for about 14 years at a large company as an Sr. Administrative Assistant and loved my job. Layoffs came and POOF I was gone. I had a son to raise on my own, one who wanted college, so I had to work at something. I got my severance and unemployment and off I went to find work. I applied at several large companies but got nothing so I found a GREAT little job working as a Purchasing Agent for a small computer software company. It was here I met my present husband. As we got serious, I decided I had to move on and find a different job, just easier for him. I ended up at a BIG utility company in Newington, CT and loved my job..marketing. I stayed at this utility company for 4 years and had a huge misunderstanding with my idiot boss..he was wrong..he called me a liar about taking time off. Hell, I was almost 60 at that time and didn't need or want his crap. I retired early and love every second of it.
You are not unlike anyone else who applies for work. It is difficult to wait and then when you least expect it...the phone will ring and you will soon be off to a wonderful job. Good Luck

Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,436,162 times
Quote:

Sorry to rant. Ugh.
Assuming you are applying for positions online at the companies' websites and so on. Sometimes I would not hear anything from a company until more than 6 months after I applied. This happened with me from a smaller company that had about 80-90 employees. What I am trying to get at is it could take months before you get responses. More often I would hear back from interested companies within a month or 2 tops. Sometimes their "NoReply" email would be just the autoresponder boiler template saying "thanks but no thanks at this time," but at least I heard something rather than nothing.

The thing is you never know about the timing, and as more time goes by when you don't have work, the waiting sure does seem longer when you are the side of the fence with no job. Just wait it out. Companies right now have other priorities often than just hiring and they often do not have it together and organized to hire people, so sometimes things get dropped or delayed and you have no idea unless you happen to know someone there who could give you some insight about the inner workings of the company.

Overall, I totally understand the frustration of not hearing anything at all.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,436,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Unless a job fair is connected to your field of interest or background, it's no need to even attend a job fair. Atleast if the job fair is in your field of interest you can go there and get some contacts and find out about all the companies in your field which would make the job fair a productive outing.
Very true. Even in the better economic times (before 2005 or so) my experience with so-called job fairs tended to be a waste of time and more of a PR (Public Relations) type of event that industry or companies do to make themselves appear "proactive" in hiring. I think if you go to one related to your field and talk to random hiring managers, it might help, but small chance given the odds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search