Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,676 times

Advertisements

Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.

I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.

Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.

I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?

Sorry to rant. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,132 times
I feel your pain.

My cousin has been busting his butt to find ANYTHING decent here as well as in several booming metros. He has to move the end of April because he is out of a job and cannot afford to commit to a lease for a year in his rust belt town.

He works so hard trying to dig up anything that will pay more than 10 bucks an hour. It is so sad to see him trying and worrying himself.

His new one is that what is the point no one is going to call me anyhow. He has to get around explaning why he was fired. The career counselor told him to say he was laid off not fired.

I can't believe with all the jobs he has applied to no one has called. Are there THAT many people who can do EXACTLY the same jobs that they can hire just anyone?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.

I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.

Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.

I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?

Sorry to rant. Ugh.
The opening could be FAKE. I applied to a job 2 days ago also that I was a good fit for and have not heard anything back. Or they may call a week later after a job was posted. Example below

I applied for a job on 3/6/11 and they called me on 3/14/11.

So don't expect a call if you just applied two days ago. And I know what you are probably saying..."why is it taking them so long to call me and I fit all the qualifications?"

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I feel your pain.

My cousin has been busting his butt to find ANYTHING decent here as well as in several booming metros. He has to move the end of April because he is out of a job and cannot afford to commit to a lease for a year in his rust belt town.

He works so hard trying to dig up anything that will pay more than 10 bucks an hour. It is so sad to see him trying and worrying himself.

His new one is that what is the point no one is going to call me anyhow. He has to get around explaning why he was fired. The career counselor told him to say he was laid off not fired.

I can't believe with all the jobs he has applied to no one has called. Are there THAT many people who can do EXACTLY the same jobs that they can hire just anyone?

Sometimes the job postings are not REAL. That's the other challenge of being unemployed, trying to determine what jobs are fake and which ones are not.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM

831 posts, read 2,827,112 times
You're not alone.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,676 times
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Its always nice to hear that others have been in or are in the same boat. So annoying and frustrating!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
The whole online thing is just exhausting. I am presently employed but have gone through bouts of unemployment, so I know what you are talking about.

One can't even make a call to find out if the job is worth applying to, and now, they want your SS #, access to your financial and credit history, job history, and underwear size, before you are even talking to anyone.

No wonder there is so much fraud out there, with our Socials going out to who knows where.

It is truly an employer's market, and even more an employer's paradise over the worker. We have no rights, and those who say they can't do this or that need to take another look. You go to your Human Resource department and they call your boss, and you're a troublemaker. They will have discussions without you present, so good luck trying to defend yourself.

Everything is about who has the power now. Unless you are well-connected or a complete butt kisser, it is impossible to feel secure even if you are doing a top-notch job. People say if you're doing your job, you have nothing to worry about, but the power addicts see it differently.

"Fitting in" means sucking up to the boss or those who are the boss' favorites.

"Teamplayer" is just about the same thing.

"Right fit" means about the same thing.

"Going the extra mile" means even if you're doing a great job, and giving it your all, filling in when they need extra time from you, coming in on your day off, etc., you still don't make the grade if someone doesn't like you.

Employment now is an extension of high school politics. You hear words like, "That person is mean" and other vacuous statements.

"He/she is really nice" isn't even a compliment. What is nice?

But back to the job search...I think all of this plays into the job search.

The whole crazy mentality.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,673 times
You are not the only one. I hate finding a job with a passion. I am grateful to have the one that I have, but not completely satisfied with it. I will stay in it until I can find a better situation. That much is for sure. Most days I am miserable. Hate it. No doubt. But what else can I do?

I feel your pain OP. Today, with the world the way it is......it is totally crazy. It leaves you thinking bad thoughts. Why am I always getting rejected, not invited to interviews? But I tell you what....it does not seem to end. This is the way it is now days. Navigate your way throught something that you know is going to mess up your mental state. Have self doubt. Self destructive behaviour may ensue.

It's a crazy mixed up world. And I truly wish you the best OP. Just keep plugging along. Something may pop up one day. I know it is hard. May peace be with you in difficult times. Seriously. Been there done that. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The whole online thing is just exhausting. I am presently employed but have gone through bouts of unemployment, so I know what you are talking about.

One can't even make a call to find out if the job is worth applying to, and now, they want your SS #, access to your financial and credit history, job history, and underwear size, before you are even talking to anyone.

No wonder there is so much fraud out there, with our Socials going out to who knows where.

It is truly an employer's market, and even more an employer's paradise over the worker. We have no rights, and those who say they can't do this or that need to take another look. You go to your Human Resource department and they call your boss, and you're a troublemaker. They will have discussions without you present, so good luck trying to defend yourself.

Everything is about who has the power now. Unless you are well-connected or a complete butt kisser, it is impossible to feel secure even if you are doing a top-notch job. People say if you're doing your job, you have nothing to worry about, but the power addicts see it differently.

"Fitting in" means sucking up to the boss or those who are the boss' favorites.

"Teamplayer" is just about the same thing.

"Right fit" means about the same thing.

"Going the extra mile" means even if you're doing a great job, and giving it your all, filling in when they need extra time from you, coming in on your day off, etc., you still don't make the grade if someone doesn't like you.

Employment now is an extension of high school politics. You hear words like, "That person is mean" and other vacuous statements.

"He/she is really nice" isn't even a compliment. What is nice?

But back to the job search...I think all of this plays into the job search.

The whole crazy mentality.

Well you are definitely not to provide your SSN before talking to a real live person.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,165 times
Sadly TV and sports guy is right many jobs ads are fakes. Nebulous sums well the world of work these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search