Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 80,440 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've seen several threads recommending people to use a local address when applying to jobs from out of state. I'm wondering if this also applies to RNs, as we are still relatively in demand in spite of the economy? My husband and I are moving our family to Florida this summer from Wisconsin, but we will not move until I have a job lined up. I do have a friend in Jacksonville, near where we are moving. Do you all think I should use her address on my resume? I feel somewhat dishonest doing that but if that's what it takes to get a job lined up, I will do it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_solace View Post
I've seen several threads recommending people to use a local address
when applying to jobs from out of state.
That is (generally) for people with no/weak skills that would otherwise not have employers
interested in them except for "being in the neighborhood". In your case, and especially with
the licensing issue... that sort of scheming is all rather moot.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
If there is incentive pay, using a local address negates your ability to negotiate for a higher incentive. You can't use "moving expenses", as part of the deal for a better offer.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
The job market in Flroida sucks.
Don't believe the nursing shortage hype.
Go to Allnurses and check out the Florida board. The nurses will tell you all about it.
Plus,the pay sucks big time in Florida.

Use the local address. They already have plenty of nurses to chose from who already live in Florida.
So,think logically. Why would they hire someone from Wisconsin,(which will end up costing them more) when they can hire someone local?
Those deals have long dried up. I haven't seen anyone pay for moving expenses since 2008.
Grab what you can. Just get your foot in the door.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I remember when I was in Florida moving to Arizona and I sent out resumes from Fla. This was in the 90's before the recession, etc. and I got no call backs. When I moved there, I sent out ones and got interviews then. Just my experience.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM

15 posts, read 80,440 times
Thanks all of you for your responses - very helpful! I'll take your input into consideration. Even though some users are saying there is no nursing shortage - I see plenty of jobs available when I search! Why are these not currently filled with Florida nurses? I'm not looking to get help with moving expenses, etc., just get a job! Any other additional input is appreciated!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post

Any other additional input is appreciated!
Limit your searching to states that will accept your RN licensing?
https://www.ncsbn.org/nlc.htm

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_solace View Post
Hi all,

I've seen several threads recommending people to use a local address when applying to jobs from out of state. I'm wondering if this also applies to RNs, as we are still relatively in demand in spite of the economy? My husband and I are moving our family to Florida this summer from Wisconsin, but we will not move until I have a job lined up. I do have a friend in Jacksonville, near where we are moving. Do you all think I should use her address on my resume? I feel somewhat dishonest doing that but if that's what it takes to get a job lined up, I will do it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Yes we are still in demand nearly everywhere! There is know need to falsify your address. Your credentials as a nurse will supersede that. Nursing is a portable job. It's a profession that you take with you.

In order tp practice you need to transfer your license to your new state and to register yourself there.
Your new state will want to know that you have passed the NCLEX-RN with a score sufficient to their states standards and may have rules that differ from your home state regarding CEU credits. Stes differ about these requirements.They may also ask for a proof of CPR certification and proof of having passed a recent class in Universal Precautions.

The easiest way to find out would be to call the DNR at the hospital to which you are applying since the procedures vary from state to state.

Best of luck and be sure that while there may be some red tape, that and who who are prejudiced against your ambitions that an equal if not greater number of therm will be cheering you from home.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
We aren't still in demand everywhere. There is no real nursing shortage.
I don't know why people keep repeating that foolishness.
What is your specialty?

Here is why you see those jobs:
They are just for show. I can guarantee those same jobs have been posted for years.
Most places need to hire someone,but don't have the funds.
Or,they have a high turnover rate and no one works to work at the crappy place.

Get ready for low wages in Florida though.
An Lpn coworker was saying she got paid $14/hr down there,compared to Nj's $22/hr.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Florida does have notoriously low wages. I did not say anything about a nursing shortage. I did say that there was a demand. I'll add that it is likely to grow in the future and not slow down.

The nursing field has a number of built in factors that keep the demand strong and will especially, in the future. 1. High turn over rate. Many nurses experience burnout or find that typically after 5 or 10 years because they become disillusioned, or the field was not what they expected. Drop out rate is and always will be high. 2. It is and is likely to remain a female dominated occupation. Many women continue to choose it for that reason. Nurses can stay in the profession while working part time for an entire career, and can drop out and re enter when ever they want. Typically there are some hours that can be worked by a mother while not needing to employ an outside care giver, provided the nurse is married. 3. the aging population.

I did not paint an unnecessarily rosy picture of the nursing profession. But I am not going to paint an unnecessarily bleak picture either.

If the OP was stuck on working the 8-4 shift at at a popular and competitive service, then yes, I might agree that it is not realistic. But that is not what she asked.

Nurses are and will always be in demand.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-20-2013 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search