Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,242 times

Advertisements

In everyone's opinion what is the best website to use to apply for jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
Let me know. I need a new job too.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Let me know. I need a new job too.
LOL. Doesn't everyone? I use careerbuilder, monster and craigslist. So far all of my interviews have been from craigslist.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
The best websites I've found are my industry's professional association job boards, and the employer's own websites.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:01 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
If you're talking about general searches then I find Indeed to be the best, next to none of the "+++EARN $500/DAY FROM HOME!!!!+++" stuff that shows up on other sites. I also found Craigslist to not be that bad, though there is a fair amount of crap on there too.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
In my area Indeed is mainly just recruiters and their phony jobs.

Most of my interviews has been through Craigslist. I've also had one through USAJobs.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 AM

20 posts, read 51,786 times
I use SimplyHired for my job search engine. It pulls listings from company websites, job boards, and other sources. It works well if you are willing to relocate because you will get many listings from around the country. Otherwise, you can limit your search to certain locations.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 AM

274 posts, read 998,578 times
Quote:
LOL. Doesn't everyone? I use careerbuilder, monster and craigslist. So far all of my interviews have been from craigslist.
to be honest, all of those common job search engines are not going to be a good venue to apply for jobs and actually hear a response back. personally i do think they're good to see what kinds of jobs are out there for any one company or a certain industry but i have yet to hear back from any "legit" jobs. i heard that only about 5% of employers actually use these search engines to find people and they're typically for entry level or a low paying job. i'm not saying it's not possible to get a job through monster or careerbuilder, but more often than not, it'd be more difficult - especially if you were looking for a job out of state.

currently unemployed myself, i think it's great to use all options available to you. i think the flip side is that the more common or known a particular option is, the more likely it'd be swamped with so many applicants. that said, i think employers are also looking at different ways of finding qualified people like through LinkedIn and Facebook.

a little off topic, but the best way of getting out there and noticed is through an internal contact (networking). for example, there was this company i wanted to work for and i applied online on their website. i sent a quick email to a director i knew who works at the company so she forwarded my resume to the HR team. a couple days later they called me to discuss some open positions... they did NOT even know what i applied for online. although it didn't work out for me since i was too junior for the positions i wanted, i was put at the top of the 5,000 resume applicant pile because i knew someone.

i know this is common sense, but i hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,852 times
I use LinkedIn and company websites; other than that I try and network.

I've found Monster, CareerBuilder, and Craig's List to be a waste of time, although I haven't used CL that much.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Craiglist is the best site for jobs. Also Idealist.com is good too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search