Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
LIKE its so easy to just form my own company. Never mind the onerous miles of red tape one has to wade through just to get started. What average person is going to raise the necessary capital to form a business? How are they going to make headway in a market that already hasn't been cornered a thousand times over by you and anyone with a plant in China? GET REAL!

You are 100% correct. it is not at all easy to start one's own company and make it a huge success. But on the flip side - those who are able to navigate the red tape, raise capital, sacrifice other aspects of their lives and build a successful company from the ground up - those are generally the initial executives and CEOs. They make those efforts, take those risks and, as a result, benefit significantly from the success of the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Your "great" medical insurance plans cost employees with families hundreds of dollars per month.

And you are likely only paying a fraction of the total cost of that plan - your employer likely pays a lot more for your health insurance than you do. But the reason for skyrocketing healthcare / insurance costs is a whole other topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
No, why do you ask? If you are insinuating that I would think the opposite, based on what you think you have read from me in the past, then you are clearly misinformed of the general socio-economical views that I hold.

it was more of a general discussion question - not directed point blank at you.

A CEO heads up a large corporation and does what he needs to to ensure the maximization of profits for the shareholders. That may mean cutting certain positions on occasion. An individual runs a small family-owned business to make money to provide for their family (so in this case, the family are the shareholders). He may have to fire a person or two in order to maximize his profits as well. Same thing, the only difference is in scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
A CEO heads up a large corporation and does what he needs to to ensure the maximization of profits for the shareholders. That may mean cutting certain positions on occasion. An individual runs a small family-owned business to make money to provide for their family (so in this case, the family are the shareholders). He may have to fire a person or two in order to maximize his profits as well. Same thing, the only difference is in scale.
Yes, of course, that is a very fundamental concept. I think most of the complaining/venting you read on here is in regards to the ineptness of some HR and management teams, and also in regards to government policies that work against the protection of a citizen's ability to secure employment. To argue against very basic business fundamentals is nothing more than a display of ignorance.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
whoa Champ, you certainly do find a lot of time during your 90 hour a week work rampage to be posting here in CD...

simmer down my bro, you must save the corporate world for the next 100 years.
I am not working 90 hour weeks right now. If I were, I would not be on CD. I hover around 70 hours on average, with spikes into the 90's.

Quote:
Yes, of course, that is a very fundamental concept. I think most of the complaining/venting you read on here is in regards to the ineptness of some HR and management teams, and also in regards to government policies that work against the protection of a citizen's ability to secure employment. To argue against very basic business fundamentals is nothing more than a display of ignorance.

But I think a major takeaway is that what some see as ineptness is simply having a broader point of view. An HR manager's responsibility in a large corporation is towards more than just the individual team that person is applying to work with.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But I think a major takeaway is that what some see as ineptness is simply having a broader point of view. An HR manager's responsibility in a large corporation is towards more than just the individual team that person is applying to work with.
Yes, that is true, but most people here on this forum are usually referring to specific cases in their rants. HR managers are human, therefore they are not infallible. In all fairness, there are good ones out there as well that may be perceived as inept when really they are not.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
I have heard of a number of people who build these keywords into their resumes in white-colored font so they are invisible to the human eye, but still very readable to a scanner.
that is a genius idea!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Yes, that is true, but most people here on this forum are usually referring to specific cases in their rants. HR managers are human, therefore they are not infallible. In all fairness, there are good ones out there as well that may be perceived as inept when really they are not.

This is pretty accurate.

HR has to at times be intentionally vague. Sometimes they seem "unhelpful" when really it is because of the nature of their job.

HR's role is to balance needs of employees with those of the company. It is neither ALL for the company nor ALL for the employee.

Plus I think it really gets my craw when people talk about "HR." Who do you mean in HR? HR is massive-- it ranges from anything from payroll to recruitment to talent management to benefits administration to employee relations to compensation to development to analytics to compliance to everything really.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:49 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I think I'm going to start a trend.

Have you ever seen a craigslist ad where at the bottom it has a keyword section for all the other items that would competitive against yours? (ie. i'm selling a ford mustang and in the keywords i'll put chevy camaro, dodge charger etc.)

at the bottom of my resume i'm going to have a keyword section with all the words these computer resume scanners are looking for so it can actually get looked at by a human!

now who's with me!?
Good idea!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I think I'm going to start a trend.

Have you ever seen a craigslist ad where at the bottom it has a keyword section for all the other items that would competitive against yours? (ie. i'm selling a ford mustang and in the keywords i'll put chevy camaro, dodge charger etc.)

at the bottom of my resume i'm going to have a keyword section with all the words these computer resume scanners are looking for so it can actually get looked at by a human!

now who's with me!?
Do it in tiny white font so the human doesn't see it.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Quote:
I have heard of a number of people who build these keywords into their resumes in white-colored font so they are invisible to the human eye, but still very readable to a scanner.
This is brilliant! What exact keywords are embedded within the resume though? If someone could provide a concrete list of examples, I would appreciate it.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
totally agree with TV.

I started and "owned" my own business for 17 years. You don't own the business it owns you. And it's do or die every single day.

I can certainly appreciate and respect you opinion but your experience is your experience and does not represent all business owners.

To me, it sounds like what you owned was a job, not a business.

I know people that own anywhere from 5 and as many as 30, yes 30 businesses, all at the same time.

What they own are systems. Well placed systems are what causes businesses to run and allows the owner to "step away".

If your business was do or die everyday, than you most certainly did not own a stable business. You had a job that you owned. You built yourself a prison.

Again, I respect you and your success but you clearly do not represent all business owners.

I know too many business owners that have had the complete and total opposite experiences, hence the reason for owning more than 1 at a time.

In addition to that, I've spent the first 5 years of my career as a mergers and acquisitions adviser and every single deal that I have ever worked on, not one sinlge business owner had any opinions like yours. They built big successful companies with systems in place.

I'm not saying your experience is not valid but I don't want you to give aspiring business owners the idea that their experience will be like yours.

Last edited by Ron.; 12-18-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search