Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,982,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know someone that works in a food store bakery. Pretty over-weight.

She is more reliable then anyone else in the bakery
funny..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
I think the "If she can't care for herself, how can she ____" is a crock.
People are repulsed by fat. They don't care about the person's health or state of mind or whatever. They are repulsed and act accordingly. The end.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,642,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the "If she can't care for herself, how can she ____" is a crock.
People are repulsed by fat. They don't care about the person's health or state of mind or whatever. They are repulsed and act accordingly. The end.
Actually you are right--- I haphazard that fat people are by far treated with more disdain than other classes of people (race, sexual orientation, etc).

In fact, the fat jokes (and even some of the snide humor in this thread) are acceptable to say to people to their faces-- whereas for the most part from my experiences people may say racial or sexual jokes BEHIND the persons back, but it seems like society accepts that you can treat fat people with disdain directly.

Which is funny considering how much larger Americans are getting.

Unfortunately, unlike some other illnesses (and let's be real NO ONE chooses to be obese-- they get that way through MANY reasons and most of them are psychological) obesity is very obvious and visible.

People who state because of their "concern" of the impact a fat person has on their insurance, etc or the declining health, well in my opinion most of them are just legitimizing why they are allowed to view the person with complete disgust.

I am overweight-- I know it-- I eat far more healthy than my thinner family members and friends. However, my weight is NOT going to just melt off--- sorry it doesnt work that way-- god I wish it did. I also don't eat in volume.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
People who state because of their "concern" of the impact a fat person has on their insurance, etc or the declining health, well in my opinion most of them are just legitimizing why they are allowed to view the person with complete disgust.
That's true. It was mentioned a bit upthread, but smokers or alcoholics, or even avid athletes who could break bones or aggravate arthritis are just as likely to bump up insurance premiums, but it's only the fat people whose issues are so visual.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's true. It was mentioned a bit upthread, but smokers or alcoholics, or even avid athletes who could break bones or aggravate arthritis are just as likely to bump up insurance premiums, but it's only the fat people whose issues are so visual.
Smokers are just as noticable if not more so. They STINK! In fact I'd hire an obese person before a smoker. Well, unless the obese person smelled. In which case I'd advertise the position again.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Some places won't hire smokers. And they will in fact terminate you if you lie about it and they find out you do.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM

314 posts, read 414,941 times
when people look at a person that size they judge them and think they are lazy and slow. people are geting way more selective on employing people also if they cant fit though the corridor. sad most of the obese people dont live that long there heart cant take all the extra weight i have even heard a case of someone spraining there feet due to there weight some people dont want to change but try to explain to her in the best way you can to get her to try to lose weight loads of places can be support groups lite for life is good but pricey you dont have to buy there stuff though. weight watchers,stay away from akins diet patients have gotten diabettes from it or jenny craig the meals get boring and very
expensive. keep her away from any pills as well you will lose weight but when you stop gain it all back

Old 06-26-2010, 02:43 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,704,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits. She will likely collect benefits for the whole 99 weeks because she is not having any luck at all finding a job. I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

My friend had a relatively successful career as an Administrative Assistant but after a year of unemployment she has sent out hundreds of resumes and had only four interviews. Each time she was brought in for an interview she was given a shocked look and sent packing in a few minutes. No one said she was too fat but she could tell by their body language that they wanted her gone as fast as possible.

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?

FWIW, I hired someone who was overweight as your friend and she did exceptionally well. She was hired based on her presentability and personality during the interview instead of based on her appearance. She had good work ethics and great rapport with people. In my line of business, that matters.

However, for jobs that is physically demanding I would think twice. Most overweight people I know have trouble standing for more than 2 hours without sitting down.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 AM

154 posts, read 527,063 times
My hugely overweight friend was just normal size when we met at age 16 in High School. At that time she was popular with the boys and had a pleasant personality. After High School she started to gain weight like crazy usually going up 20 pounds a year. As her weight went up she moved less and less and now when I watch her she hardly moves a muscle when she is awake. It is a major chore for her to just get out of a chair. The weight gain becomes more and more each year as she moves less and less and her personality gets bitter and her social life gets worse.

Even though we are still friends I am afraid the stereotype of the fun overweight girl who makes up for her weight with a wonderful personality is gone. All the negative reaction people give her about her being SO FAT have made her angry and bitter and employers spot this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
FWIW, I hired someone who was overweight as your friend and she did exceptionally well. She was hired based on her presentability and personality during the interview instead of based on her appearance. She had good work ethics and great rapport with people. In my line of business, that matters.

However, for jobs that is physically demanding I would think twice. Most overweight people I know have trouble standing for more than 2 hours without sitting down.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
All the negative reaction people give her about her being SO FAT have made her angry and bitter
This is an obvious problem in society. They need overweight anonymous. A peer group that helps people though it. It'll more likely be easier to overcome in this kind of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search