Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,577,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?
No; solely because it does not make any business sense and for the health insurance costs, in addition to the very high likelihood because of her health she will certainly take more sick days, need accommodations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 PM

422 posts, read 793,669 times
Quote:
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits. She will likely collect benefits for the whole 99 weeks because she is not having any luck at all finding a job. I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

My friend had a relatively successful career as an Administrative Assistant but after a year of unemployment she has sent out hundreds of resumes and had only four interviews. Each time she was brought in for an interview she was given a shocked look and sent packing in a few minutes. No one said she was too fat but she could tell by their body language that they wanted her gone as fast as possible.

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?
If I were a mcdonalds manager, she would be hired.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,691,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I have a friend like this. She is 5'3 and weighted about 320 lbs. She had trouble getting a job just about everywhere she applied to and she knew it was because of her weight. She finally applied for a job at fast food and they even said that they did not think she would be able to effectively move around the restaurant. The next day, she brought in her two year old daughter and told them that she needed a job to provide for her. They gave her the job, but they are not exactly nice to her (constant name calling from co-workers and managers).
There also concerned the customers might not get their food.

And she is a hazard, imagine trying to get around someone that big in a fast food restaurant environment. They're dangerous enough as it is.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:09 AM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There also concerned the customers might not get their food.

And she is a hazard, imagine trying to get around someone that big in a fast food restaurant environment. They're dangerous enough as it is.
Dude... I have seen some LARGE women (and men) working at fast food places! They seem to get around just fine, LOL.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,092,583 times
Quote:
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits. She will likely collect benefits for the whole 99 weeks because she is not having any luck at all finding a job. I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

My friend had a relatively successful career as an Administrative Assistant but after a year of unemployment she has sent out hundreds of resumes and had only four interviews. Each time she was brought in for an interview she was given a shocked look and sent packing in a few minutes. No one said she was too fat but she could tell by their body language that they wanted her gone as fast as possible.

Absolutely not.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,727,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
No. I've never hired but one man for an office job. Once was enough. He was not a good employee for an office, most women have no trouble with office work.
You do realize that's discriminatory, right? Unfortunately, men aren't considered a protected class like women are.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,940,154 times
I'm 5'9" and usually between 175 and 185 barefoot and buck naked and cannot comprehend being a half a foot shorter and twice as heavy! I'm sure it's tough to get started on a workout program when you have let the weight get out of hand but you need to halp your friend understand that she will soon be DEAD if she does not start doing something about her weight. No one gets this fat w/o serious lazyness and over eating.

How on earth do you let yourself get that fat if you aren't working? If I were to be fired from my job one positive would be that I would have time to get absolutely ripped. Even after going to an interview or two everyday you still have plenty of time to kill. Pushups, situps, stretching, walking, hiking and running are all free last time I checked.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM

419 posts, read 870,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
No one gets this fat w/o serious lazyness and over eating.
Or is using food as big-time comfort. (Or is maybe one of those one-in-a-million people who have a serious metabolic disorder?) Whatever the case, it's sad and I feel for that woman, who is probably regretting every piece of junk food she put in her body.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,858,065 times
I worked with someone about this weight and let me tell you it got really old really fast being the one expected to do ALL the "running around and exerting yourself" components of the office work because SHE either couldn't handle it OR took all day to walk up and down a flight of stairs.

Thankfully, the tipping point for my boss came when she started whining about needing to have the printer and copier moved closer to her desk LOL

Last edited by Opyelie; 12-03-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM

935 posts, read 2,414,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I worked with someone about this weight and let me tell you it got really old really fast being the one expected to do ALL the "running around and exerting yourself" components of the office work because SHE either couldn't handle it OR took all day to walk up and down a flight of stairs.

Thankfully, the tipping point for my boss came when she started whining about needing to have the printer and copier moved closer to her desk LOL
Wow! That is complete laziness . I know some heavy set people who are fairly active, though they may not make the best choices in terms of food, but to have someone else do all the leg work b/c they can't handle it or b/c they are way out of shape? That's laziness. I know some people who are heavy due to medications drastically slowing their metabolism and causing drowsiness, but even they are willing to take the time and walk to printers or walk up and down steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search