Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,592,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I haven't read the entire thread.

How would stress cause you to gain so much weight? If anything, stress should cause a person to lose weight.
Maybe for you but I know men and women that stress eat and others like you that lose their appetite. Some self medicate with drugs and alcohol some with food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,912,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?
I know several successful people weighing between 300-400 lbs who are gainfully employed. I even work with a guy who weighs at least that amount. It is hard to get past the weight, but you know, they are people and deserve respect. My co-worker, Tom, is a super nice guy and very knowledgable. I'm so glad that my company/department gave him a chance. I just love him!

My GF in Florida had her own business, but last year, she added 2 waitressing jobs to the mix. She's doing great. I referred her to my trainer in california, and she's losing weight. I have another GF in town that goes to my gym, and when I met her, she was at that weight. She is an instructor at a local college, and works as a corporate accounting consultant. She's lost 87 lbs in 10 months.

Fat discrimination is....discrimination.

In answer to the question, yes, absolutely, I would hire an obese person depending on whether their skill set and experience matched our needs.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,202,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits. She will likely collect benefits for the whole 99 weeks because she is not having any luck at all finding a job. I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

My friend had a relatively successful career as an Administrative Assistant but after a year of unemployment she has sent out hundreds of resumes and had only four interviews. Each time she was brought in for an interview she was given a shocked look and sent packing in a few minutes. No one said she was too fat but she could tell by their body language that they wanted her gone as fast as possible.

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?

No way!! This woman is a pending stroke or heart attack away from bankrupting any employer she works for. No one in their right mind would take the risk. She will most definitely have health issues that will prevent her from being a 100% contributer and not take a lot of sick days.

She should apply to be a phone sex operator or some other home-based business.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,526,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
No way!! This woman is a pending stroke or heart attack away from bankrupting any employer she works for. No one in their right mind would take the risk. She will most definitely have health issues that will prevent her from being a 100% contributer and not take a lot of sick days.

I was about to reply she should look at a work-at-home job when I read this. I really take offense at this! I work from home, and its not doing phone sex! I do a variety of customer service and sales jobs, and they are quite legit!

The suggestions to lose weight are well-taken, but it can take a year or more to lose the type of weight she needs to lose. Even if she lost 20-50 pounds---no easy feat--she would still be morbidly obese.

I would suggest some sort of at-home job, try

www.wahm.com

and www.workingmothers.com

lots of suggestions, just beware of the scams!

Also, work at losing the weight, but she can't lose enough in time to gain employment.

I was diagnosed with diabetes Type !! about 9 months ago. Since then I have lost 20 pounds, and brought my glucose levels down to normal, with meds, but its been a difficult task. its simply not that easy to drop weight!

And no, I don't do "phone sex"

Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM

860 posts, read 2,216,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[/b]

I was about to reply she should look at a work-at-home job when I read this. I really take offense at this! I work from home, and its not doing phone sex! I do a variety of customer service and sales jobs, and they are quite legit!

The suggestions to lose weight are well-taken, but it can take a year or more to lose the type of weight she needs to lose. Even if she lost 20-50 pounds---no easy feat--she would still be morbidly obese.

I would suggest some sort of at-home job, try

www.wahm.com

and www.workingmothers.com

lots of suggestions, just beware of the scams!

Also, work at losing the weight, but she can't lose enough in time to gain employment.

I was diagnosed with diabetes Type !! about 9 months ago. Since then I have lost 20 pounds, and brought my glucose levels down to normal, with meds, but its been a difficult task. its simply not that easy to drop weight!

And no, I don't do "phone sex"
oh c'mon, the phone sex bit was a little funny

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM

805 posts, read 1,166,964 times
Unless your friend is applying for jobs in a place like North Dakota, where unemployment is relatively low, I don't think she has much of a chance. In this economy, the competition for administrative assistant jobs is intense. Simply being unemployed is an almost insurmountable hurdle to overcome when applying for aa positions. Add in that she is morbidly obese and I don't see show can get past the interview unless the either has a really strong connection at the place she is interviewing (ie: a close relative either owns the company or is the hiring manager) or is searching in a low unemployment rate area (of which there are very few in the US).

Simply put, companies get flooded with applications for aa positions and they look for quick and easy ways to screen people out. Stereotyping is essential to their screening process. The unemployed or overweight are viewed by many employers as lazy or unqualified. Getting hired one you are one of those things is tough enough. In addition, at your friend's weight, an employer may be concerned that she will have health issues that will prevent her from doing the job.

Her only chance may be to volunteer for a non for profit and hope that they appreciate her hard work and then hire her.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,259,812 times
Is your friend bulked up to 600lbs now? Found work?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM

111 posts, read 224,413 times
Reading this thread was very depressing. Some of you are being incredibly judgmental and cruel.

Here's my story: I'm underweight and always have been. For almost my entire life I've been able to eat whatever I want, in whatever quantity I want, without gaining a pound. Even though I try to eat healthy most of the time, I have a major weak spot for certain kinds of junk food and probably consume more calories than I ought.
And yet, looking at me, you wouldn't know any of these things. I have never been subjected to accusations of "weak" or "no self-control," even though my diet is probably a far sight worse than many determined overweight folks who are trying to lose weight.
Am I "better" than overweight or obese people? Simply because I lucked out with my genes?

Oh, and...I have a back injury from kickboxing that, as yet, no one knows how to fix, and maybe no one will ever know how to fix. If I could afford it I'd be in PT several days per week. I've been to tons of doctors, undoubtedly driving up costs. I have been feeling very grateful to have health insurance. And standing for too long, or moving around all that much, is incredibly painful for me, and difficult to do.
Am I "better" than overweight or obese people? Even though right now I have many of the same physical limitations as they do? Even though I'm using my insurance a lot? I'm skinny, so everything I do is fine, right?

I used to fall prey to the "fat = lazy" mindset, but I educated myself, and now I see the situation for what it is: an ENORMOUS number of factors coming into play in our society. (GMO food. Agricultural subsidies. Food deserts. School funding. Education. Economics. Politics. I wrote my master's thesis on this and could go on for days. Don't get me started.) Personal responsibility does play a role, but it is not even close to what most of you seem to think.

I may not ever have to deal with discrimination for my diet choices and my physical limitations like an overweight person does, and I am grateful for that, but I don't kid myself for a second that this is because I'm somehow superior to anyone else. No, it's just more like people make excuses for my choices and limitations because I am outwardly "normal," but are happy to point fingers at those whose bodies are larger than mine. Disgusting.

It's called compassion, caring for other beings, and "there but for the grace of God [or whatever you believe in] go I." Maybe some of you can give it a try.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM

23,959 posts, read 33,977,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
Oh, and...I have a back injury from kickboxing that, as yet, no one knows how to fix, and maybe no one will ever know how to fix. If I could afford it I'd be in PT several days per week. I've been to tons of doctors, undoubtedly driving up costs. I have been feeling very grateful to have health insurance. And standing for too long, or moving around all that much, is incredibly painful for me, and difficult to do.
Can you get to Maryland? I know the doctor to go to. You can DM me for his info.
I'll be going to see him too. Have done a LOT of research on him.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM

50,838 posts, read 47,721,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

Yep! If I had to issue here some type of health related insurance, no way! Plus, all of the obese phone types I work with are out sick a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search