Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,520,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A good female friend of mine has been unemployed now for over a year but is still collecting unemployment benefits. She will likely collect benefits for the whole 99 weeks because she is not having any luck at all finding a job. I think that much of her trouble is her weight. She is big really big. She told me she has gained almost 100 pounds from the stress and is now 360 pounds. In all honesty, she looks just terrible.

My friend had a relatively successful career as an Administrative Assistant but after a year of unemployment she has sent out hundreds of resumes and had only four interviews. Each time she was brought in for an interview she was given a shocked look and sent packing in a few minutes. No one said she was too fat but she could tell by their body language that they wanted her gone as fast as possible.

If you were a hiring manager would you strongly consider a woman who was 5 foot 4 360 pounds for an adminstrative job in your company?
Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 AM

16,952 posts, read 16,888,809 times
Actually they did a study regarding the movements of slender individuals versus overweight persons.

Thin, slender people had electrodes attached to their bodies and they actually were more * fidgity * ( this has always been me ) and they moved their bodies throughout the day and had some amount of energy. You know the type A , run around , try to accomplish everything..

The overweight person moved his body less , far less . ( he too had electrodes attached ) Thus the overweight person liked more Sedentary Jobs where you sit at a desk all day ( that would drive me crazy )

The thinner more slender persons enjoyed a job of activity , moving , stair climbing , keeping physically busy throughout the day.

So if you take a Sedentary person , give them a sedentary job and they eat throughout the day not burning any of their calories then thus you have a larger weight gain.

I found this to be true in a vast number of cases of the overweight.

Whether their bodies were burdened with extra weight and some amount of depression it was truly hard to get them to lose weight.

By the way , Gastric Bypass seems like a fruitless venture because unless the overweight learn how to EAT right , I know studies where they stretched their new stomachs BACK to the size it was before.

It takes hard work for most of us to remain thin. Unless you are a skinny string bean with a high metabolism .

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,364,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Actually they did a study regarding the movements of slender individuals versus overweight persons.

Thin, slender people had electrodes attached to their bodies and they actually were more * fidgity * ( this has always been me ) and they moved their bodies throughout the day and had some amount of energy. You know the type A , run around , try to accomplish everything..

The overweight person moved his body less , far less . ( he too had electrodes attached ) Thus the overweight person liked more Sedentary Jobs where you sit at a desk all day ( that would drive me crazy )

The thinner more slender persons enjoyed a job of activity , moving , stair climbing , keeping physically busy throughout the day.

So if you take a Sedentary person , give them a sedentary job and they eat throughout the day not burning any of their calories then thus you have a larger weight gain.

Whether their bodies were burdened with extra weight and some amount of depression it was truly hard to get them to lose weight.

By the way , Gastric Bypass seems like a fruitless venture because unless the overweight learn how to EAT right , I know studies where they stretched their new stomachs BACK to the size it was before.

It takes hard work for most of us to remain thin. Unless you are a skinny string bean with a high metabolism .

Thanks for publishing your findings. They are indeed interesting.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,903,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

Exactly - thinner people move more while the more overweight tend to conserve their movements. Whether that's because of their excess weight or whether the excess weight is a result of the conservation of movement, we don't know for sure. It's the old chicken and the egg story.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,611,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Stress can certainly cause weight gain, if someone's stress relief is food (as opposed to, say, drugs or medications or alcohol). There are stress eaters who genuinely are calmed by eating. Hence, obesity from stress (not to mention cortisol/insulin surges and so forth).
A co-worker of mine was about 325 pounds and ate compulsively,and still had difficulties after losing some 110 pounds after gastric bypass. As she said, "Everyone has something they struggle with, it's just that, with food, it's visible." I agree.
A thin friend of mine was looking at a woman who wa on a charter trip with her family to an island. She had four small childrne. She was dressed very stylishly along with her very large size. My friend looked at her and said, "That's disgusting." I asked her, "Why 'disgusting'?" Friend said, "Well, you don't find her attractive, do you?" I said, "No, but why is she 'disgusting'?" Friend floundered and came up with, "Gluttony. Taking more than you need." I pointed out to friend that she owned two houses, and that was certainly more than she "needed."
It isn't about gluttony or whatever. It seems to me a deep-rooted (in U.S. culture) repulsion of fat and concurrent moral statements about the person. (Sort of the way people used to view alcoholics, and some still do). No, I don't find obese people attractive. I am annoyed at my own flub from third-shift/too-tired stress eating. But "disgusting?"
I suggest when you see an obese person, you might see someone's visible struggle with stress, depression, anxiety, whatever overeating fulfills (however briefly). And yes, to be employable, someone who has overeaten to obesity is going to have to get healthier than 360 pounds unless she (less often, he) has unusual skills that are much in need. But the vitriol aimed at fat people is so sharp...
this is a very kind statement. You know my Mom and my sister were very over weight. I did the exact opposite, I went overboard with the exercise. Still do , so this is a kind statement. Not all obese people are disgusting. My mom was not obese but overweight until cancer then she got thin!! She always wanted to be thin, terrible! Your a good person. My mom was the nicest and most giving person. SHe donated, gave her time and money to help alot of people!!! Fat yes, disguisting NO!!

Remember people WEIGHT COMES OFF, UGLINESS DOES NOT!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 PM

I will say it again loud. WEIGHT COMES OFF, UGLINESS DOES NOT.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this is a very kind statement. You know my Mom and my sister were very over weight. I did the exact opposite, I went overboard with the exercise. Still do , so this is a kind statement. Not all obese people are disgusting. My mom was not obese but overweight until cancer then she got thin!! She always wanted to be thin, terrible! Your a good person. My mom was the nicest and most giving person. SHe donated, gave her time and money to help alot of people!!! Fat yes, disguisting NO!!

Remember people WEIGHT COMES OFF, UGLINESS DOES NOT!
Unfortunately for the OP's "friend" (and I use the term loosely considering the OPs other posts regarding this) it's not JUST her weight but her generally bitter attitude that is counting against her as a potential new hire.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Unfortunately for the OP's "friend" (and I use the term loosely considering the OPs other posts regarding this) it's not JUST her weight but her generally bitter attitude that is counting against her as a potential new hire.
correct and agree attitude goes along way. Mom got thin when death hit! She had a great attitude. Fat like I said is not everything, there is so much more to a person with a great happy outlook on life!!! I have a friend who is overweight, she is not the typical jolly dumb fat, but she is bright, and embrases life so what she is happy and happy with herself and it shows all the way thru. Better fat and nice than a nasty skinny rotton meth head!!

I actually find overweight people much better listeners, they are not so self absorbed and make great listeners. We need to open our ears and not our eyes all the time.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 PM

29,848 posts, read 34,821,163 times
The think with the OPs friend is that even if she started a diet and exercise program today, she's not going to drop 200 pounds by the end of next month, or by the end of the year. So is she just supposed to be unemployed for years until her weight gets under control?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The think with the OPs friend is that even if she started a diet and exercise program today, she's not going to drop 200 pounds by the end of next month, or by the end of the year. So is she just supposed to be unemployed for years until her weight gets under control?
What's her alternative? Eat herself onto SSDI ?

The harsh reality is there are probably hundreds of others out there unemployed who can equal her skills and experience and (literally) hit the ground running at a new position, so given that, what do you really think her chances are currently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search