Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM

11 posts, read 17,686 times

Advertisements

I'm a 19 year old female who is moving to Jacksonville soon. I'm starting my life over; going to community college down there, leaving my friends, my extended family, and my boyfriend behind. I'm really afraid to make the change but I have no other choice. I was wondering if there was any places to hang out in Jacksonville for young people like me. If there was a party scene or a concert/show scene. I'm also wondering if it's easy meeting people in Jacksonville at my age. And about community college, how is it in JaX? is it ghetto? Please respond if you have any helpful answers. \

I would be moving to the southside of Jacksonville. Near Marlfield Court I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
If your going to be on Marlfield Ct on the Southside that is the Reedy Branch sub-division.
It is right off 9A and you will be about 15 miles to the beach and about 10 mins fomr some great shopping at St Johns Town center

The community College FCCJ south campus would be about 15 mins away
This is a great campus about 8 miles from the beach
FCCJ South Campus (http://www.fccj.edu/south/index.html - broken link)

Being a "boring married lady" I am going to have to let others answer the question about the party scene for your age group
I do know the beach is a fun place to hang out,lots of clubs

Where in NJ are you moving from ? I moved here from central NJ

Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Why are you living all of your people behind at 19?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm moving with my mother.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
FCCJ (Florida Community College Jacksonville) is now Florida State College Jacksonville. Is this the school you plan to attend? Robyn

Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 9,243 times
Well, Jacksonvilles party scene is not the best.. it's actually pretty horrible!! ;-) However, like in any other city if you know the right people you can have a good time anywhere!! Since you are under 21 there is not much you can do on weekends. The 18+ clubs are really really ghetto on weekends. However, there are some 18 and up places during the week that can be fun. And concerts... well, Jacksonville has a lot of live music and concerts, but only if you are into indie and stuff.......

I go to South Campus myself and guess it's alright. I had a hard time finding friends, but that might have been mainly because I moved here from another country and had problems with the language. But as I said... As soon as you find a couple people that share your interests, there is a lot to enjoy i Jacksonville.

PS: Oh, and don't worry about the ghetto clubs on weekends - there are always private partys!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes I'm planning to attend FCCJ and I'm really into music, and art. I'd rather not go clubbing. I love the hip and indie scene.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,243 times
Art scene is bigin jacksonville.... (art walk, art market... )You would love the riverside, and to go out I recommend you the PEARL on thursdays. you would like it.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyb0o View Post

PS: Oh, and don't worry about the ghetto clubs on weekends - there are always private partys!
lol

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,680 times
I moved to Jacksonville when I was 19 as well, and just turned 20. I have been here for almost a year now, and I like it, but mostly because of the beach. Not much of a party scene for people under 21. All the good clubs and bars require 21 and up. I'm not much of a partier myself, but I hear of a lot of private parties, etc. for the bit younger crowd. If you are moving from somewhere that wasn't on the beach, then you will probably enjoy that the most. I do! All in all, Jacksonville is pretty cool, nothing too terribly exciting, but my boyfriend and I always seem to find something to do (even if others find it a bit corny)..i.e. Jacksonville Zoo, Air Show, fishing off the pier, walking around at the Landing, etc. As far as Southside, it's the best place to be in Jacksonville other than the beaches. If ever you have to relocate, do NOT move to the Northside! Also wouldn't recommend parts of the Westside of town either. Honestly, you should really have no reason to go over to the Northside of town, and especially don't go there at night by yourself. Jacksonville is known for high crime rates in those areas, and while I am sure there are places over there that are just fine, I would really just recommend staying on the Southside of town. I am assuming you are going to FCCJ, which is actually 2 min from my apartment. I go to UNF, but FCCJ is a really good school too. Good luck in Jax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: