Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 PM

69 posts, read 183,239 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband is in the Navy and we're due to get re-stationed next year. It's looking like it will be King's Bay, GA. I have a friend who just got re-stationed there and they are living in Yulee. Our children will be going to school at St. Michael's Academy, in Fernandina Beach, since it's the only Catholic Elementary school within a good distance to the base either in GA or FL.

Can someone tell me names of towns that are a reasonable drive to both the King's Bay Naval Base & Fernandina Beach? I'm looking for good little towns to live in, I'd rather them not be in the boonies, if possible, I like to have conveniences a stone's throw away. Also, any feedback on Yulee & St. Michael's Academy would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Nicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 AM

92 posts, read 404,654 times
i'll trade you kings bay for hawaii! we're up at the sub base near seattle and tried to get down to kings bay, but those orders were given away to someone higher up, boo.

we were actually looking at yulee when we thought we were going there. it seemed like a good in between for both of us -- small town for raising a kid, with big city conveniences (a.k.a. shopping) only half an hour away. kings bay is about 20-30 minutes from yulee, too.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
There is St. Mary's or Kingsland, Georgia.
Or you could just live in Fernandina Beach. Or Yulee.
I prefer Fernandina to Yulee, but that's just me.
I've heard good things about St. Michael's.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,555 times
go check **Yulee Volunteer Fire Department**** - Home its got alot of info about the town

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 38,471 times
I think you would be happier on the Florida side of things.Private schools would be the way to go in FL. St. Marys has very little to offer in any kind of shopping, although the waterfront is charming. Kingsland has more restaurants ,good schools, but little else. The base commissary is small and frequently runs out of items at payday. Small exchange also. It is a pretty little base though.

Yulee is a little more rural than Fernandina with newer shopping/subdivions springing up. It is a very happy medium between the base and Jacksonville where all the amenities are to be found. We left St. Marys (ret. AF) in Dec and are looking to move back . We decided that we really do like warmer weather after all! We will be looking at Yulee. (FL has no state income tax as well!) Good luck with the move. Fernandina is gorgeous but pricier.Hope this helps

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM

50 posts, read 150,178 times
I too am thinking of moving to Yulee Fl. or some place near there as that is the only place aside from NY that I have any family in. I still need to work unfortunately even though I'm 63. Anyone have anything to say about this.
P.S. I can't afford an expensive place, but don't want to live in a dumpy area. Thank you, Linda

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 28,389 times
Yulee is a wonderful place to live. Be very careful of home owner's associations in Florida, some are a nightmare run by people with nothing better to do. A neighborhood in Yulee, FL has run into this problem recently in a neighborhood called Meadowfield. It isn't the people who live in development, it is the HOA board.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 28,389 times
Hi, I'm retired AF and was over at the base yesterday shopping, I live in Yulee. Yulee would be a good in the middle place, quick trip to GA and Fernandina. Be sure to check out home owner's associations in Yulee, they can make your life difficult. It isn't the people in the neighborhoods, it's the board that runs the home owner's association.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM

20 posts, read 54,070 times
I live in Yulee, my hubby is also Navy, but stationed at Mayport. we love it here, been here 4 yrs. I have a lot of friends whose kids go to Faith Christian Acadamy.

As far as HOA's yes it is true, but you can find a house without living in a neighborhood that has one...PM me if you would like more info...

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM

50 posts, read 150,178 times
Thank you for the warnings about the HOS's Meadowfield and Nstrempel.
Nstrempel you said "PM" which I am assuming meant phone me???? If so I'd love to if you send me your number and the best times to reach you without disturbing anyone.
You can e- me off the list with your number, claymaster69@yahoo.com. Thanks again, Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville