Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Believe me, I can think of a bunch of things that I don't like about where I live (Jax/St Aug). But the things that I like about this place far outweigh the things that I don't. So my question to you is "what's the point of dwelling on the negatives?" If I had to live in a perfect idyllic place I'd be moving every 6 months, and never stop moving.
Dont really know about moving around all the time. Jax does need some work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 02:14 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,244 times
Default yes... PHILLY!

I'm a NYC native and have lived in Philly for the past few years... BOY, DO I HATE PHILLY!

I don't like NYC... but it's not half as bad as Philadelphia.

I have lots of family in Florida, so I have spent lots of time there, in different cities. I am pretty familiar with it.

Jacksonville was just different and away from all those other places. It has its own unique character and atmosphere. I enjoyed my stay and will enjoy my new home. It's also unique and for what I paid, I could only afford a tiny row house in a really bad area if it was in Philly.

I'm a happy camper

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
I'm a Jacksonville representer til the day I die and I love my city. Honestly, I can't see anything I dislike about Jacksonville. Sure I wish we had a lot of things sooner but those will come in time.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
The housing stock is crap
It’s darned humid too
The beaches are just ok
And Urban sprawl rules; boo hoo
... Jacksonville

That seems to about sum it up?
A lot of major cities suffer from the sprawl illness.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingforwork View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate Jacksonville, but after living here for close to a year, I can't say that I am that impressed. For a city of this size there doesn't seem that there is all that much to do, and anything that is worth doing is a twenty minutes car ride away minimum, and it is almost certainly in a strip mall. The violent crime has been discussed to death (no pun intended) many other times, and it is true that it is localised to west and northwest parts of the city but living in the murder captial of Florida still doesn't feel all that great, even if I am on the "safe" side of town. Its nice to live close to the beach, but the beach scene around here seems... muted. I haven't seen any beach bars or too much other beach life type actvities, at least compared to other beach towns. I wouldn't have moved here except that I was offered a good job here, and if a position that let me move up opened in another office in another city, I wouldn't pass it up to stay. But I am not so miserable that I have my bags packed to leave.
Jax Beach used to be packed on the weekends....is it not anymore?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
But is it fair to compare Jacksonville to larger cities?

If we compare Jax to NYC or Chicago, Jax will always lose - those are first tier cities, Jax is not.
in my opinion it is fair. A city is a city no matter where it is. Jax was born in 1822, told Walt Disney NO & told Hollywood to leave. So yes everything is fair. Jax is behind because the mentality is behind. When progressive, creative people come around they are muffled by the so many limited thinkers already there.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 131,835 times
After three years here after living most of my life in Austin and Dallas, here are a few opinions. It is great for older retiree types who want a slow pace of life (PVB) or rednecks who like to fish and wrestle gators (OP) - lots of those types here. There is very little culture here, it is Ultra conservative, the city feels underdeveloped, there are not many nice restaraunts or good shopping and the beaches suck if you have ever been to a nice beach. For a city so large in size there should be more to do and more diversity, Jax feels like it is 25 years behind. The people here are not particularly welcoming or courteous and certainly are not open to change of any kind or even the suggestion of such.

I could see if you had never been farther west than Lake City or farther north than Brunswick how someone could think Jax is great, the truth is it very lacking and not a great place to live.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
Jax is hated by some of us and loved by some of us and then there are some people who have a love/hate thing. You can see that on this thread. Most of the time it is a reflection of who you are rather than the city itself. But every one has what they believe are good reasons to hate it or love it. And since we are all different, no one should try to convince the other. But one thing for sure, there are more people who like it here than those who don't because if it were the other way around we would be all heading for the exit.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,205 times
I have nothing bad to say about jacksonville.Iam getting a little older and wanted a slower paced city so we moved away.I really miss the beach and flea markets and some of my fav places to eat.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genih View Post
I love Jacksonville for the most part, having lived here for 50 years, twenty of them in East Arlington/Regency area.

The absolute worst thing about living in Jacksonville is driving, the traffic. The road systems are a mess and it seems there is always some kind of road work being done. In a lot of residential areas, the roads tend to flood and "pool" when it rains. Rush hour is a joke, especially if you have to drive I-95/I-10 or the Matthews bridge/Arlington Expressway or the J Turner/9A roadways.

Makes me wish for the horse & buggy days! Better yet, I wish I had a helicopter!
Helicopter or Horse buggy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville