Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM

118 posts, read 1,045,519 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to St. Augustine -- but I'm a little concerned about the crime rate there. Where are the best/safest areas to live in St. Augustine? (I'd like to be as close to the beach as possible).

If you are able to name specific streets, it would be very helpful for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriend View Post
I'm thinking about moving to St. Augustine -- but I'm a little concerned about the crime rate there. Where are the best/safest areas to live in St. Augustine? (I'd like to be as close to the beach as possible).

If you are able to name specific streets, it would be very helpful for me!
First, let me say that you'll get much more information if you post this on the Jacksonville board.

St. Augustine is a broad statement. There is very rural St. Aug (exit 203, 206 and 207), then there is old St. Aug and the beach, then there is Northern St. Aug (SR 210) You have World Golf Village area off International Golf Parkway. The zip for the most suburban areas is 32092

Crime is not prevalent in St. Aug. jacksonville has a lot of crime (in pocket areas...like any bigger city). St. Aug has some crime...mostly teenagers who are druggies, bored, or hoodlums. However, there is not even enough crime to disclose it. I wouldn't worry about crime in St. Aug yet.

Good luck with your move.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Anywhere near the beach should be fine (low crime).

It's obviously more expensive at the beach, but sometimes you can find an old duplex here and there with reasonable rent (just basic housing, but beachside). You can target in around A Street, B Street, etc.

If you'll be working in Jax - as many people in St. Augustine do - the commute can be a real bear coming from the beach. If you live on Anastasia Island (the barrier island to St. Aug where "the beach" is), you have to get off-island and then commute all the way up to Jax - well over an hour one way.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,953 times
I agree that if you are going to commute to Jacksonville, living on Anastasia Island would be beyond what many would consider a reasonable commute. You might want to look in the "North City" area which is near the School for the Deaf and Blind. There are some apartments there, but mostly you will find small, older houses for rent. I used to live in that area and loved it. It was 5 mins. to Vilano Beach, about 15 to St. Augustine Beach and a straight shot up Rt. 16 to 95 North. It took me about 45 mins. to get to work in Jacksonville.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 20,417 times
i wanna live there before sping 2009; maybe around volano beach where i can do dishes and see the atlantic waves at the same time. i can hardly wait

Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

37 posts, read 149,420 times
St. Aug isn't really bad with crime at all. Most "crime" is committed by the college kids running crazy at night in historic St. Aug after dark LOL.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 20,262 times
please tell me the best places to live in a apt,in jacksonville,i have a little granddaughter to raise there and i dont need crime,please someone there tell me where i should look,thankyou

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,276 times
If anyone sees this would love to live at Vilano Beach area near St Augustine. What are rentals there like for price and availability? Do not need anything fancy but at least 2 bedrooms. Want a SAFE area. Actually would just like to live in the St Augustine area and want to rent. Where are good places to live?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:05 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,337 times
To give you guidance, it would be helpful if you gave us more info. Vilano Beach is a safe area, but it is hard to find a rental in Vilano Beach. What is your price range for a 2 bedroom? Do you have pets? Will you be commuting for employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville