Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post

Still I can understand why you would sense an unrealistic amount of positive feed about Jax. It might also be the fact that this Jax forum is a fairly happy-go-lucky place compared to other forums, especially in Florida. (Between you and me, is Riveree part of this positive feed? You can say it.)
Hey, it's not me! The reason I joined this forum in the first place was because of how friendly it was, so if you're going to blame anyone, blame Karla .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM

77 posts, read 235,187 times
Okay riveree, even I noticed my argument was starting to sputter. I’m confused and here’s why…

A month ago I was walking my dog down the long feeder road that all the subdivisions tie into. My dog and I stepped into the woods looking for a path to follow. After a very few minutes, suddenly we’re dumped out into a large, totally clear cut, new subdivision. Only a tiny part of it has been developed. There’s sand everywhere and dust devils. It was like walking off of the tropical movie set and stumbling into the wild west set. I didn’t know this place was even here, never mind this close. I was disoriented and I tried by navigate by jet trails – which run north south – to see if I could walk around it. After a half hour, I gave up, retraced my steps and returned home.

A couple years ago you could choose which public school to send your kid to. Several families decided to car pool to the newest elementary. Some decided to home school, some went private, the rest stayed where zoned. The neighborhood was split into 4 pieces.

My child is still in elementary. So a lot of life is in the subdivision. We do get out to explore, but more outside of j-ville than in. I don’t know how I would describe Jax – my part of it has changed so much in 5 yrs.

Cricketfan,
Thank you.
I'm not looking for exciting. What I miss about Chicago are small things. Like the amazing accidental conversations you’d have with people at the grocery store. The interesting mix of people, nationalities and ages. Food, obviously... the bat house at the Brookfield Zoo.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM

214 posts, read 474,197 times
I use to live in Jax .I loved it and it will always feel like home when I visit there.

I moved to Jax in the mid 70s from my home town Atlanta Ga. glad I got out of that rat race . But I will always remember how beautiful downtown Atlanta was ,not anymore .

Jax is close to lots of excitement imo . Lakes,rivers,beaches and even rodeos ,dog races .

I left Jax 15 yr.s ago but have visited a lot since .

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM

I made some comments inside your post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
Okay riveree, even I noticed my argument was starting to sputter. I’m confused and here’s why…

A month ago I was walking my dog down the long feeder road that all the subdivisions tie into. My dog and I stepped into the woods looking for a path to follow. After a very few minutes, suddenly we’re dumped out into a large, totally clear cut, new subdivision. Only a tiny part of it has been developed. There’s sand everywhere and dust devils. It was like walking off of the tropical movie set and stumbling into the wild west set. I didn’t know this place was even here, never mind this close. I was disoriented and I tried by navigate by jet trails – which run north south – to see if I could walk around it. After a half hour, I gave up, retraced my steps and returned home.

That IS weird . I guess you live in an area that still had land left to be developed and it's bound to happen sooner or later . I thought the developers had wised up and realized their buyers want trees left in place, but I guess not .

A couple years ago you could choose which public school to send your kid to. Several families decided to car pool to the newest elementary. Some decided to home school, some went private, the rest stayed where zoned. The neighborhood was split into 4 pieces.

Well, I think that's unique. In NY Metro, there's no choice, you're zoned into your school, it's always been that way. Isn't it the same in Chicago?

My child is still in elementary. So a lot of life is in the subdivision. We do get out to explore, but more outside of j-ville than in. I don’t know how I would describe Jax – my part of it has changed so much in 5 yrs.

So do you think it's just that you don't like the area of Jax you currently live in? Could you be happy living in a different part of Jax?

Cricketfan,
Thank you.
I'm not looking for exciting. What I miss about Chicago are small things. Like the amazing accidental conversations you’d have with people at the grocery store. The interesting mix of people, nationalities and ages. Food, obviously... the bat house at the Brookfield Zoo.

I understand that, that's part of what I miss about NYC too. I know for me, density is part of it, so I'm more and more inclined to live in the denser parts of Jax. I want to get to know the local shop owners, see people I know on the street, have places to walk to and hang out. I think you can have that here.
I hope you can resolve it, grs. I know it's tough when you're married, everyone has to be in agreement (note to self: never get married again ).

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM

52 posts, read 194,936 times
Quote:
People are looking for honest information before the sell, move and uproot kids. Realistic info to these people will get them thru it - forewarned is forearmed.
I agree!

IMHO the negative information is much more useful than the positive. It's easy to parse out the negatives that are negative for the sake of being negative.

For instance, with hotels its great to hear about what a wonderful breakfast they have, or the nice hot tub out back. But what I really need to hear before I make my reservation (read: look for a job, move my family) is how the bed sheets don't get turned and that any room on the east side is going to noisy due to the elevator bank.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,133,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Hey, it's not me! The reason I joined this forum in the first place was because of how friendly it was, so if you're going to blame anyone, blame Karla .

lol I will take "full blame" because I have met some really terrific folks thanks to CD

Quote:
Like the amazing accidental conversations you’d have with people at the grocery store.
grspafl

if you shop at the Publix @ baymeadows & 9A we have never run into each other
I love grocery store conversations

I moved here 16 years ago
Having moved 23 times I have experienced both types of cities
Lived in the big ones Phila, Denver, Chicago and when I lived in NJ I would visit NYC often

I have also experienced really small towns such as Drums Pa

Each has unique qualities and the adventure of discovering these is part of the experience.

Do I miss certain aspects of "the big city" ? sometimes but as other have said it is only a plane ride away

Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,738,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_d View Post

IMHO the negative information is much more useful than the positive. It's easy to parse out the negatives that are negative for the sake of being negative.
Good point lazy_d, and I agree completely.

But I don't know ... I come across a fair amount of negatives.

And BTW I sense that alot of the negative posts are from people who don't even live in Jacksonville.
It's the negative comments from people who live here that have much more validity.

Here are some buzzwords off the top of my head if anyone cares to do a search:

sprawl
humidity
hot weather
crime
shootings
CDDs
HOAs
boredom
bugs
unwalkability
construction
foreclosures
school ratings
confederate flag
traffic
bad drivers
non-ethnicity
strip malls
dining
high insurance

... not necessarily in that order.

Yes, we have our regulars who are usually positive about everything but we also have some prophets of doom and gloom. I'm glad we have both.

But there must be some good reasons for people to keep wanting to relocate in this part of the country. Don't ya think?

Last edited by cricketfan; 07-29-2008 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,133,047 times
Quote:
But there must be some good reasons for people to keep wanting to relocate in this part of the country. Don't ya think?
Very well said cricketfan !!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM

^^^What she said .

Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,590 times
Quote:
*Cough* Weather! *Cough*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville