Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 17,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have been looking at many homes in both Durbin Crossing and Nocatee. Both are great communities, but we settled on Nocatee. We found a lot and great floor plan by Mattamy in Kelly Point; however, while looking up some information I came across a number of posts with negative comments. Also, my understanding is they were the builder in Bartram Springs and facing a class action lawsuit. Many of these posts were from 2011 or earlier and I am just wondering if anyone has recent experience with Mattamy homes, especially in Kelly Pointe. We were planning to sign a contract soon, but now spooked. Any information past or present greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM

104 posts, read 341,066 times
They are building a Matamy home next door to me in Nocatee. I have not been impressed with the quality of the construction as I've watched it built. Seems like everything has been really sloppy. Framing was crooked for example and the house wrap was hanging off in places and they just stuccoed over it from what we could see. . .the back porch is visibly concave. . .my neighbors and I have been making jokes about whether it will hold up after the first decent tropical storm we get.

That being said, you'll find plenty of negatives about most builders. I think if you have a home inspector who stays on top of things throughout the building process you won't have many issues.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:57 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrmer06 View Post
Hi,

We have been looking at many homes in both Durbin Crossing and Nocatee. Both are great communities, but we settled on Nocatee. We found a lot and great floor plan by Mattamy in Kelly Point; however, while looking up some information I came across a number of posts with negative comments. Also, my understanding is they were the builder in Bartram Springs and facing a class action lawsuit. Many of these posts were from 2011 or earlier and I am just wondering if anyone has recent experience with Mattamy homes, especially in Kelly Pointe. We were planning to sign a contract soon, but now spooked. Any information past or present greatly appreciated!
You can do better. Much, much better.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 AM

5 posts, read 17,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfphaedrus View Post
They are building a Matamy home next door to me in Nocatee. I have not been impressed with the quality of the construction as I've watched it built. Seems like everything has been really sloppy. Framing was crooked for example and the house wrap was hanging off in places and they just stuccoed over it from what we could see. . .the back porch is visibly concave. . .my neighbors and I have been making jokes about whether it will hold up after the first decent tropical storm we get.

That being said, you'll find plenty of negatives about most builders. I think if you have a home inspector who stays on top of things throughout the building process you won't have many issues.

What neighborhood and builder did you end up using? I am starting to find negatives from almost all builders. Debating just waiting for an existing home and risking the gamble.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM

70 posts, read 163,604 times
wow.. was just looking to start a thread comparing kelly pointe to green leaf village and comparing david weekly to mattamy..not happy to read above post on mattamy..i have been very impressed w david weekly ..were coming from ny and was down in march..david weekly really stands behind there product from a material and energy effficient home..i would look into david weekly homes...though there not in kelly pointe..you might have to look at other communities ..can anyone living in Nocatee give me pros and cons on both communities..& both builders.??

Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post
wow.. was just looking to start a thread comparing kelly pointe to green leaf village and comparing david weekly to mattamy..not happy to read above post on mattamy..i have been very impressed w david weekly ..were coming from ny and was down in march..david weekly really stands behind there product from a material and energy effficient home..i would look into david weekly homes...though there not in kelly pointe..you might have to look at other communities ..can anyone living in Nocatee give me pros and cons on both communities..& both builders.??
It bears mentioning that David Weekley IS in Kelley Pointe. They must've sold all their lots and built it out already, so that tells you who the better builder is right there.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 AM

199 posts, read 468,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
It bears mentioning that David Weekley IS in Kelley Pointe. They must've sold all their lots and built it out already, so that tells you who the better builder is right there.
A bit to Mattamy's defense... David Weekley was in Kelly Point for the first two? phases, along with Richmond American. Mattamy didn't start there until the latest phase. They now own all of the lots in KP, DW and RA are not building on the new phase.

We wanted to build in KP with RA, but that didn't work out. We ended up walking into the DW model in GL and never turned back. Two years later and we just about to close.

Have you looked at Standard Pacific? There is a lot next to my house in GL that I would love for someone to build on! :-)

Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
A bit to Mattamy's defense... David Weekley was in Kelly Point for the first two? phases, along with Richmond American. Mattamy didn't start there until the latest phase. They now own all of the lots in KP, DW and RA are not building on the new phase.

We wanted to build in KP with RA, but that didn't work out. We ended up walking into the DW model in GL and never turned back. Two years later and we just about to close.

Have you looked at Standard Pacific? There is a lot next to my house in GL that I would love for someone to build on! :-)
i am looking into standard pacific(hamilton & chelsea models) #2 on my list behind DW in front of mattamy...can you tell what you know about mattamy and standard pacific?? mattamy seems to be the whipping boy of noctee..should i totally stay away from them as i do have a budget probably no more than 370k...????

thanks for your help!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM

199 posts, read 468,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebear12 View Post
i am looking into standard pacific(hamilton & chelsea models) #2 on my list behind DW in front of mattamy...can you tell what you know about mattamy and standard pacific?? mattamy seems to be the whipping boy of noctee..should i totally stay away from them as i do have a budget probably no more than 370k...????

thanks for your help!!!
We looked at so many homes and builders. What impressed me about DW is that they aren't afraid to show you exactly what they build with. Check out their green rooms. They were also the only builder that would acknowledge the pest concerns. When I asked the others about options, all I got was "We have a 10 year bond, you are set."

I thought Mattamy put together a nice looking home, but some of the things I read here scare me when it comes to quality. I don't think they are a whipping boy. They put up a lot of homes in GLV. I wish we had more information as to why they didn't continue building in GLV. The good thing is that they are still actively building in KP.

I only briefly looked at Standard Pacific because I got wind that they had lots in GLV, that we were interested in. Again, the homes look nice, but I don't know much about quality.

I would ask any of the builders you are interested in for a materials list. View all of the homes in progress. If you are bold enough, visit the owners. You can get a listing of people who have closed from the county website.

We just had our walk through with DW today. The care that they take during the build process is evident in the final product. The personal builder really keeps an eye on things and cares about the end product. Our "punch" list was 3 items long, and those didn't really even need to be noted.

I know I didn't really answer your questions, but hopefully I gave you some things to think about. We had a tight budget too, and were able to find a DW home that was a fit for us.

I saw a home in GLV today getting the white tyvek treatment!(I think it was a Providence home.)

Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
We looked at so many homes and builders. What impressed me about DW is that they aren't afraid to show you exactly what they build with. Check out their green rooms. They were also the only builder that would acknowledge the pest concerns. When I asked the others about options, all I got was "We have a 10 year bond, you are set."

I thought Mattamy put together a nice looking home, but some of the things I read here scare me when it comes to quality. I don't think they are a whipping boy. They put up a lot of homes in GLV. I wish we had more information as to why they didn't continue building in GLV. The good thing is that they are still actively building in KP.

I only briefly looked at Standard Pacific because I got wind that they had lots in GLV, that we were interested in. Again, the homes look nice, but I don't know much about quality.

I would ask any of the builders you are interested in for a materials list. View all of the homes in progress. If you are bold enough, visit the owners. You can get a listing of people who have closed from the county website.

We just had our walk through with DW today. The care that they take during the build process is evident in the final product. The personal builder really keeps an eye on things and cares about the end product. Our "punch" list was 3 items long, and those didn't really even need to be noted.

I know I didn't really answer your questions, but hopefully I gave you some things to think about. We had a tight budget too, and were able to find a DW home that was a fit for us.

I saw a home in GLV today getting the white tyvek treatment!(I think it was a Providence home.)
No this was very helpfull!! Thank you!! One question what is white tyvek treatment?? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville