Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,612 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your feedback, which is invaluable in making such a life changing decision. I grew up in NH and feel I had a well-rounded education. I'm concerned with some of the feedback regarding schools, as I was informed and via Great Schools websitest that just Duval County is lower level education, but that St John's County, where we are looking, has three level 10 elementaries and the top 2 highschoools in the state. Of course we will look into the Magnet schools, but overall, we've been pleased with the result of the educational advice from colleagues.

Is there anything else to consider? As I've been asking everyone I've met, would you do it again, knowing what you know now, and the resounding answer has been categorically YES! Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,511,563 times
I think the big fly in your ointment might be your finding a suitable IT job (we're not exactly Silicon Valley). If I were in your shoes - that would be the first thing I'd look into. Robyn

Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,517,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think the big fly in your ointment might be your finding a suitable IT job (we're not exactly Silicon Valley). If I were in your shoes - that would be the first thing I'd look into. Robyn
Agreed .... a post in here awhile back said that there's a lot of IT jobs in Jax but most of them are just entry level.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM

216 posts, read 475,832 times
Default it jobs??

JAX is a pretty low tech area. I'm a retired IT systems guy myself and I wouldn't want to have to depend on the job market locally. Even if you got a job the pay wouldn't be much. Most local IT jobs are support, maintenance, help desk work and they hire consultants to do the real programming, mostly from India.

If you have kids you HAVE to live in St Johns county or pay for not that great private schools.

If you just want to be near the ocean and in a warmer climate I'd look further south around Fort Lauderdale for more opportunities and there's tons of IT jobs at San Diego. In CA I would rent instead of buy.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM

26 posts, read 40,985 times
I currently work at an tier 1 investment bank and thought that alot of IT would be with the big banks in Jacksonville. Is that not the case you have me worried. Any good recruiters I could call?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM

20 posts, read 36,021 times
I work at a bank headquartered here in Jax and have worked for another previously. The one headquartered here is hiring a lot of IT folks. The previous one I worked in outsourced many of the IT positions overseas.

Further, LPS, a provider of the most popular mortgage software, is also headquartered here, and they have many IT jobs.

There is opportunity, but you will need to pursue it as it is not as abundant as other metropolitan areas.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post

Most of the gated communities are pretty terrible compared to the non-gated communities. You can get a nicer home in much nicer non-gated communities.
My reply is in bold.
Sorry for the thread hijack. I'm also thinking about investing in jacksonville. I've been looking mainly at condos and gated communities. Why are gated areas terrible?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,517,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenovax View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack. I'm also thinking about investing in jacksonville. I've been looking mainly at condos and gated communities. Why are gated areas terrible?
They're not , thats just the other posters opinion. Some are very nice, but personally I wouldn't live in one again as the HOA's in some are way to restrictive.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycfoster View Post
I currently work at an tier 1 investment bank and thought that alot of IT would be with the big banks in Jacksonville. Is that not the case you have me worried. Any good recruiters I could call?
Andy check these guys out, they have been helpful to me in the past. Employment Agencies for IT Staffing - Robert Half Technology

Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 PM

12 posts, read 22,495 times
we also have 3 year old twins, we moved to st Augustine about 6 months now, i like it very much, lots of outdoor stuff to do, the beaches, parks and a very historical city to explore, I was told st john county is a better school district than the one that Jacksonville is in, I think thats why families tends to live outside of Jacksonville in st john and work in Jack , I also many years ago left Ireland for the States and yes the US school system cannot compare to the British one, but there is compromise in everything, and hopefully
I will parent my children enough to do well no matter where they get schooled, and it really is wonderfully to live near beaches and be able to bring your children there any time, and here in st augustine I am told that even in xmas time the weather is mild
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville