Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,522,755 times

Advertisements

First it was the burglary at the Underwood's in Riverside last night. At least that was only property loss/damage.

Today - if what I heard from people at the scene is correct - something much worse. A woman in a hurry parked in a handicap space at the Publix on Marsh Landing Parkway in JAX Beach (she didn't have a sticker - but didn't want to walk far - Publix was very crowded). And another woman scolded her for using a handicap space without a handicap sticker. The woman in the car got angry - backed up her car into the other woman - and dragged her perhaps 20-30 feet across the parking lot. The injured woman was in very bad shape - and airlifted to Shands in critical condition. The police were still on the scene more than an hour later (when I was there - if the injured woman dies - it may well be a vehicular homicide). Both of these women apparently had children with them at the time. What was that woman in the car thinking???

It is frightening to me that there are people like this out there - even during the Holiday Season - especially when they're driving cars!!! It's like when I look at the pictures of people trampling over one another to get early morning "Christmas deals" on Black Friday.

The bums in Hemming Plaza aren't attractive - and they smell bad. But the worst they'll ever do to me is ask for a buck and a cigarette (usually both) - in a polite manner. And I usually oblige.

Anyway - I found this horrifying and sickening. We have a woman who lives in our neighborhood who is profoundly messed up physically (short arms and legs - maybe Thalidomide? - she's about the right age - and she lives in a motorized wheel chair). She goes to the Publix parking lot to monitor handicap parking violations (in her wheelchair). I think if anyone did this to her - I would be sorely tempted to kill that person. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:32 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,521,199 times
Actually it was the Underwood Jewelers San Marco location. There is no Underwood Jewelers in Riverside but there is one in Avondale. I walked there today and bought my wife another Christmas present.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:43 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,514,376 times
Merry Christmas to you all. I'm in Memphis though

Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 PM

725 posts, read 2,573,849 times
Reading about the robbery was depressing. Its such a beautiful peaceful store.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,740,908 times
This season brings out the best and the worst in people.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,521,199 times
Default Police Pepper Spray Unruly Shoppers, Riot over Basketball shoe???

Scuffles broke out and police were brought in to quell unrest that nearly turned into riots across the nation Friday following the release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes – a retro model of one of the most popular Air Jordans ever made.

The mayhem stretched from Washington state to Georgia and was reminiscent of the violence that broke out 20 years ago in many cities as the shoes became popular targets for thieves. It also had a decidedly Black Friday feel as huge crowds of shoppers overwhelmed stores for a must-have item.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...?ncid=webmail1

Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,886,853 times
While the woman driving the car was certainly at fault, the more important question is, what was the woman who got dragged thinking???

First of all, I doubt she had any kind of right to be scolding someone for something like this. Second of all, you mentioned she had kids with her. Way to set an example...

Now, I'm not advocating sticking my head in the sand at all. However, having a brother-in-law who is an amputee (leg below his knee), I can tell you he gets yelled at quite a bit for parking in a handicapped spot. He walks normally with his leg on so people assume he's fine (he's not that old either). People get quite embarrassed when he shows them his prosthetic when they make a scene with him. Honestly, it's just a bad scene all around and happens way too often.

People need to mind their own business about some things. I'm guessing the woman who was dragged is thinking it probably was a bad idea to get after the other woman at this point. What if she had a gun or had run over her and killed her? Was it worth dying over scolding someone for (possibly) parking in a handicapped spot???

Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,740,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
While the woman driving the car was certainly at fault, the more important question is, what was the woman who got dragged thinking???

First of all, I doubt she had any kind of right to be scolding someone for something like this. Second of all, you mentioned she had kids with her. Way to set an example...

Now, I'm not advocating sticking my head in the sand at all. However, having a brother-in-law who is an amputee (leg below his knee), I can tell you he gets yelled at quite a bit for parking in a handicapped spot. He walks normally with his leg on so people assume he's fine (he's not that old either). People get quite embarrassed when he shows them his prosthetic when they make a scene with him. Honestly, it's just a bad scene all around and happens way too often.

People need to mind their own business about some things. I'm guessing the woman who was dragged is thinking it probably was a bad idea to get after the other woman at this point. What if she had a gun or had run over her and killed her? Was it worth dying over scolding someone for (possibly) parking in a handicapped spot???
I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. Here we go blaming the victim again. There is nothing wrong in letting someone know they are parked illegally as long as it is done in a civil and not a confrontational manner. We don't know that. She might not have been minding her business but she was looking out for others, like your brother for example. OTOH if she knew that the driver was an animal I am sure she would have said nothing.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,514,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Scuffles broke out and police were brought in to quell unrest that nearly turned into riots across the nation Friday following the release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes – a retro model of one of the most popular Air Jordans ever made.

The mayhem stretched from Washington state to Georgia and was reminiscent of the violence that broke out 20 years ago in many cities as the shoes became popular targets for thieves. It also had a decidedly Black Friday feel as huge crowds of shoppers overwhelmed stores for a must-have item.

Seattle Police Pepper Spray Air Jordan Shoppers
My brother tried to get those shoes at 6am yesterday. Said it was mayhem.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:29 AM

725 posts, read 2,573,849 times
The victim in this case is in critical condition. It's so sad and senseless in a time that is supposed to be about charity and goodwill. I hope the best for her recovery.

-My son is handicapped but doesn't look it outwardly. His pain is daily and real. I've witnessed a man in a wheelchair chasing my son in the grocery store trying to sling a guilt trip on him. The man was in a rage. He's had his car blocked and spit on by drunks, verbally abused, and people want to fight him. It sucks and its humiliating. Those spaces are kinda dangerous in certain situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville