Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:06 PM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times

Advertisements

In the time I have lived in this area it seems the Times Union (online) or even the local TV stations never show to much interest in national news. The headlines (online) today are about the Jags and some huggable strippers who are out of work due to a fire. With the events unfolding in Washington most major papers are carrying the debt ceiling issues as lead. It just seems we are sheltered when it comes to national news from our news sources here in Jacksonville. I know all can be found on the Internet lately and CNN and FOX are on 24/7, it just seems we have no interest here locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
It is more of an issue when you spend hours on the road and your only news source is an NPR station. I remember driving from Atlanta during the Oklahoma tornadoes and not hearing anything about the tornadoes that killed 45 people until I saw the news on CNN. Local news is about crime, the Jags and the weather. Ignorance is bliss, we are a happy people.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
In the time I have lived in this area it seems the Times Union (online) or even the local TV stations never show to much interest in national news. The headlines (online) today are about the Jags and some huggable strippers who are out of work due to a fire. With the events unfolding in Washington most major papers are carrying the debt ceiling issues as lead. It just seems we are sheltered when it comes to national news from our news sources here in Jacksonville. I know all can be found on the Internet lately and CNN and FOX are on 24/7, it just seems we have no interest here locally.
Hell yea, but I thought FTU did an ok job getting National news out. What topics do you feel Jacksonville folks should know about??

Old 07-30-2011, 04:58 PM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Times Union (online) had no lead in's or any news on the debt ceiling today. The TU is definitely a local paper, and that is okay local reporting is what sells here.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:23 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
I prefer that a local paper and/or a local TV station focus on local news only. That doesn't mean I want to put my head in the sand. There are so many resources available, and that I easily access, to learn about national news and events -- I'd be a tad miffed if our local news resources wasted paper/air time with national news. That's the purpose and definition of "local".

Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
what is the usual airhead at the anchor desk really going to provide me on national issues?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
what is the usual airhead at the anchor desk really going to provide me on national issues?
Don Henly song ''Dirty Laundry''

''We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde
comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry''

Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I prefer that a local paper and/or a local TV station focus on local news only. That doesn't mean I want to put my head in the sand. There are so many resources available, and that I easily access, to learn about national news and events -- I'd be a tad miffed if our local news resources wasted paper/air time with national news. That's the purpose and definition of "local".
I don't quite agree. Local news cannot turn a blind eye to events outside of our own local area because much of what happens locally is effected by what takes place in the outside world. There must be a balance and not everyone can afford to buy one local and one national paper every day. As for internet sources I still believe that the print media is more credible than what we read on our computers, blogs, etc. Unfortunately the writing may be on the wall (pun intended) for newspapers today.

Our local evening news on TV is mostly about crime, and not just Jacksonville or Florida crime but crime all the way from Maine to LA. The reason is that crime news is easy news, all a reporter has to do is call up the various police precincts.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
Charlotte's front page today was Cam Newton, the heat wave, and Brickyard coverage.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
The Times-Union really seems like an inadequate paper for a city of Jacksonville's size and importance. I notice that the cable doesn't carry MSNBC or Current either , so perhaps the issue is political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: