Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,574,921 times

Advertisements

Somewhere--and I wish I could remember where--I heard that ever since the 3-4 devastating hurricanes and tornado of a few years ago many people are moving into Jacksonville. Is this true? I can't seem to find any information on the net that bears this statement out, but I did hear or read it. Anyone have any information on this subject?
Is Jacksonville predicted to become a "hot" spot in Florida? And, if so, when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,287,894 times
It's well-known as place where Hurricanes tend to miss, based on it's geography. I wouldn't say there is an influx of people. Least I haven't heard about it.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 41,666 times
Default Yes! You can get some great priced homes now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I heard that ever since the 3-4 devastating hurricanes and tornado of a few years ago
Hurricanes tend to MISS Jax, so I don't know where you would have heard that. BUT, you are right, if you are talking about investors! You can not only get some GREAT houses in safe neighborhoods right now for $120k-$150k, or a little fixer in the Springfield area for under $50k., but even some that are ALREADY fixed for $65k-$85k (There's a nice 3 bed, 1 bath going for $59k at 1057 East 15th that's already been completely rehabbed! you can't beat THAT!)

Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Time for some corrections:

E. 15th is not a good area.

Historic Springfield is just fine, but E. 15th is "New Springfield" and is not so nice...at all.

Besides, there are fully renovated homes in the area for reasonable prices.

Now, onto Tootsie:

"Hot" areas?

Well, Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, & Murray Hill are all varying degrees of "hot". All are older, historic neighborhoods that surrond Diowntown more or less.

Avondale & San Marco are posh and finished, expensive and will get more expensive.

Riverside is on the cusp of becoming Avondale, with a ton of interest and revent development. It's already a great area, perhaps the most popular neighborhood in ther city.

Springfield used to be a very bad area, but is in the middle of a huge revitalization now. Tons of interest and development as well, though well behind Riverside in terms of commerical development. About 10 years behind Riverside now, it's a area on the upswing no doubt. Will be featured in Southern Living Magazine in January as one of the top 3 "come back" neighborhoods in the East, was also featured on Good Morning America a couple years ago.

Murray Hill is slowly developing. Juts a little buzz due to zero commerical development, but it's a slowly turning from low-income to mostly middle class. Has changed a lot for the better in the last 5 years.

These areas (sans Murray Hill) are very walkable, lots of parks, cafes, etc with in walking distance. All close to Downtown (which will look very different 10 years from now) & eachother. 'New urbanism 'is becoming widely popular now, taking the place of 'suburbanism', and there are countless examples and articles supporting this. These areas are the only in the city that fit the description.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Now granted I'm living in the Midwest right now so I don't have the latest, but I keep getting these little hints that Jax is on the verge of a boom of some kind population-wise. I'm not getting the feeling from your posts that people are flocking in there, but seems like there are some great revitalizations coming in Jax. Those revitalized neighborhoods will bring people from out of area into Jax for sure I would think.
Plus, I was looking up the density in Florida, and the area around Jax is very comfortable compared to, say, St. Petersburg/Clearwater which is just overloaded and dense as all get-out.
And Jax has some great health care with Mayos there I'm guessing.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM

63 posts, read 141,029 times
Interesting, since I am flocking there pending my acceptance into JU. Cant wait. Was going to finish my associates in nursing here but decided in the same amount of time I can get a bachelor instead.

Pretty stoked. Just trying to find the wife a decent job and everything should be gravy.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Tootsie,

yes, Jax is promoting itself as America's Health Center now: Medical Meetings & Conventions - Meeting Planners - Visit Jacksonville (http://www.visitjacksonville.com/meeting-planners/medical-meetings/ - broken link). In part due to it's exclusive medical institutions, such as Mayo & Proton Therapy, but also b/c it has all other relatively new kinds of treatment as well (cyberknife, etc) and it's amenities (weather, ocean, river, wetlands, nfl, tpc, etc) are not common in most of the nation.

also, yes, a large % of people moving into the Springfield area in particular are from out of the area. It has a bad repuatation for it's decades of blight that many locals can't see past, but those from afar see it for what it is and what it's becoming. the other areas either have been nice for some time or never sunk to that level, so out-of-towners don't make up a noticeable number of residents.

also x2, yes, Jax is not very dense, only in pockets. It's extremely spread out and suburbish in most areas. even rural in some.

Paul313,

Jax was just named one of the best cities to attend college. I started a thread about this last week: https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...d-college.html

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Well, Jax has a long way to go to surpass Houston's medical complex--the biggest in the world. But sounds good there, anyway. If this becomes popular, Jax will boom and bring in lots more jobs and things to do. Does the city have a timeline for this revitalization to be completed?

Does anyone have the zip codes for: Avondale? Springfield? Riverside? San Marco? Murray Hill?

By the way, what is the popular native foods there? I read somewhere that Jax has alot of fish and seafood there, and that is one of the local favorites. True? If so, I'd be in hog heaven! Each region in the country seems to have a local favorite, so I am wondering what it is in Jax.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM

131 posts, read 622,162 times
Tootsie- I would suggest that Jax has been "on the verge" for a long time. The city has SO much potential that I believe, having relocated here from Chicago, the natives either dont realize it or dont want it to change. I suspect it is a bit of both. As far as population growth, the area, compared to the vast majorit of the country, is BOOMING. Maybe not like Las Vegas or Austin, but they keep coming and the builders are starting to build again. Great climate, great beaches, great place. Sure it is a bit rough around the edges, but isnt that part of its charm? The port expansion will be huge for Jax, I call it the little engine that could. When they first announced that Jax got the Jags, I said "where on earth is Jacksonville, FL." Now I live here. This area will be DRAMATICALLY different in another 10 years because of what you and others have mentioned.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Here are some Jax population & growth links:

A comprehensive website all about managing population growth in on the First Coast:

Reality Check First Coast | Thursday, May 21, 2009

Most recent numbers & comparisons:

Metropolitan area census estimates released | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville