Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 PM

9,145 posts, read 20,584,640 times

Advertisements

Boy, trying to find a job in this city has turned out to be TERRIBLE and FRUSTRATING! Wife and I are just extremely THANKFUL though that she got a full-time permanent one this past November. As it stands right now, I'm going to be forced to apply/take early retirement/SS in a few months. However, I'm amazed at the number of cars I see parked in the lots of some companies on Deerwood and Baymeadows Way!
Anyone out there in Jacksonville "C-D Land" that is in the same boat I'm in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,923,285 times
I work with unemployed and economically disadvantaged people everyday. There are tons of people in your situation and more keep moving to Florida compounding the problem.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Anyone interested in getting detailed, factual info about unemployment in Florida should check out this website each month. It was last updated the third week of January 2011. It lists stats by county, job description, etc. http://www.floridajobs.org/publicati...2001-21-11.pdf

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,160,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Anyone interested in getting detailed, factual info about unemployment in Florida should check out this website each month. It was last updated the third week of January 2011. It lists stats by county, job description, etc. http://www.floridajobs.org/publicati...2001-21-11.pdf
I looked at the information and it's pretty bleak in Florida. Much of the state has double digit unemployment. In Jacksonville, the area that's hit hardest by unemployment is NW Jacksonville; so hard that the NW Jax Community Development Corporation is desperately trying to create jobs in this area

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,322,636 times
After being laid off in Sept. 09 and unsuccessful in even getting interviews in Jax, I moved to south Florida, bunked with friends, and now not only have a job, I have THE job that I wanted more than any others. 13 months of unemployment...the worst. I struggled in Jax even when I was employed. In retrospect, losing my job was my ticket to being in a place that was a better fit for me and my family. And to a job that I love, with enough income that I don't need a part time gig.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Very happy to hear of your success in finally getting THE job, Magnolia Bloom. The unemployment rate in the Miami area is actually worse than JAX by 1%. You were very smart to change your search focus by moving in with friends located in a larger metro area. In many personnel searches, employers will not consider resumes from applicants who are not already living locally. Staying with friends removed that roadblock for you. Did you land the job through personal connections?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 9,032,813 times
^^^Now she just needs to learn spanish, lol... just kiddin...

Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Very happy to hear of your success in finally getting THE job, Magnolia Bloom. The unemployment rate in the Miami area is actually worse than JAX by 1%. You were very smart to change your search focus by moving in with friends located in a larger metro area. In many personnel searches, employers will not consider resumes from applicants who are not already living locally. Staying with friends removed that roadblock for you. Did you land the job through personal connections?
I did get the interview through personal connections while still in Jax. When I didn't hear anything after two months, I put everything in storage and we moved down. I kept looking and was offered the job six months after the interview. I'm not sure what the unemployment rate is in Palm Beach County, but I know it's bad all over.

I wasn't happy in Jax, but as long as I was employed, I had too much to lose to relocate. The kids were dong well, my family was there..... I think that in any larger city, if you love it there, eventually, the right job will come along. Jacksonville wages are typically less, but it is also a relatively inexpensive place to live.

It depends on the kind of employment that you are looking for, but I found one of my jobs while in Jax by working on a fundraiser as a volunteer. Jax has one of the highest levels of volunteerism and that opens many opportunities to work with folks from all sectors. For example, volunteering to staff the phones on the public television pledge drive will put you side by side with people who know people.

Getting involved with JCCI is a great thing for newcomers. You get to learn a lot about the city, help work on solving problems and meet all kinds of folks.

While in Jax, I changed careers in order to earn more and that proved to be the right choice.

During my time of unemployment I had some very bad days. Some days, just getting dressed was hard. I think the bottom line is that, if you are unemployed, as far as you are concerned, the unemployment rate is 100% and it stinks.

In retrospect, had I gotten a job in Jax, I wouldn't be here now. So while I know that it's not good to relocate without a job in hand, to any that want to move to Jax, figure out a way to make it happen. Sharing a room with two teens and a dog for months was a challenge, but through it all I reconnected with friends from decades ago and came to realize what is really important.

Loveboating- I know you've had a tough time, but am glad that your wife has a permanent position. I miss the Jax CD pizza parties! I know that you will find your spot and in the meantime, you have your boating and no snow!

ComSens- LOL about learning Spanish... My son was excited about that, because he could use the Spanish that he learned in school. So many languages down here- Creole, Chech, Bosnian- though I had Bosnian friends in Jax, too, Russian, French.... but we like that about the area and will ask foreign speakers how to say things in their language. I can now ask for directions to the restroom in four languages

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 02-05-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 20,584,640 times
Well, we can't move due to my wife's job. Besides that, we couldn't afford to move anyway. Even though there are more jobs in the Orlando area, we chose Jax because of Orlando's traffic, so many people live there and the area is such a tourist trap.......like So Calif is (more jobs and higher paying, but the traffic/population/cost-of-living is something else).
We are giving it some serious thought about moving more south later, after we are both retired........just gets a little too cold at times here for us

Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 AM

LoveBoating- I wasn't suggesting that you move. From what I know of you, I think it's the perfect place for you and your wife. You are one of the few couples that I know that actually make the most of your boat and take advantage of the easy access to the river. I have a feeling that in the next couple of years, you'll be living on the water with your boat docked out back.

I think the weather has been unseasonably cold... we had a fireplace up there and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville