Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
When five consecutive Thursday job reports tell us that the US economy added several ten thousand jobs and cut into the UE%, that would be when I would prefer to sell gold. Until then, I don't mind riding the tiger

Sure, just know what you're doing. I wouldn't buy now and expect to have a profit cushion to fall back on. Say you bought at $800/oz and the peak is $2000, you could make a decision to get out when there is a 25% correction. That would be $1500. You'd still have a great return. Close to 100%. But the question is, should you buy now? If you buy at $1800, the same scenerio would put you at a loss. That's why some are saying the risk isn't worth the reward at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Sure, just know what you're doing. I wouldn't buy now and expect to have a profit cushion to fall back on. Say you bought at $800/oz and the peak is $2000, you could make a decision to get out when there is a 25% correction. That would be $1500. You'd still have a great return. Close to 100%. But the question is, should you buy now? If you buy at $1800, the same scenerio would put you at a loss. That's why some are saying the risk isn't worth the reward at this point.
It touched 1900 briefly today. Besides, I need to carefully get out as I'm playing with my father's wealth. The gold was bought via mom's account. But effectively, I trade with mom's account, as she is not much of a stock buff.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
And no, with it touching 1900, it's not a great buy at the moment. I recommended Nancy to look at silver or some sound blue chip stock like Alcoa. AA has been upgraded to buy. It will definitely ride back to 15.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM

179 posts, read 261,660 times
I have 200 BOA shares. I bought about 15.00. It went up 18.+, My network was down that day, I called my husband to sell them for me, unfortunately he forgot to do after he got out of the big meeting. What should I do? hold and cry to wait for it goes up or sell to take the loss

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
I have 200 BOA shares. I bought about 15.00. It went up 18.+, My network was down that day, I called my husband to sell them for me, unfortunately he forgot to do after he got out of the big meeting. What should I do? hold and cry to wait for it goes up or sell to take the loss
Ouch. I hope you kicked his rear for that

But take heart it's only 200. Some investors I know from the fool.com boards are stuck in it with 5K-10K shares. That will be real pain, milady.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
Here's one for you, Nancy. Good article with some buy ideas. Instead of gold, you can pick one of these at bargain prices and ride it higher. I like WLT. It's also a take-over target. It's got Potash written all over it.

9 Discounted, Profitable Basic Materials Stocks That Carry Bullish Analyst Ratings - Seeking Alpha

Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
What about CX? Lots of debt but lots of upside...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM

179 posts, read 261,660 times
Quote:
Here's one for you, Nancy. Good article with some buy ideas. Instead of gold, you can pick one of these at bargain prices and ride it higher. I like WLT. It's also a take-over target. It's got Potash written all over it.

9 Discounted, Profitable Basic Materials Stocks That Carry Bullish Analyst Ratings - Seeking Alpha
I will look at it, but I do not why whenever I buy some stocks, always lose money . I think I'm very bad luck with trading stock. However, the market has been terrible many days, I hope we can buy some of good ones and sell in near term.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
It touched 1900 briefly today. Besides, I need to carefully get out as I'm playing with my father's wealth. The gold was bought via mom's account. But effectively, I trade with mom's account, as she is not much of a stock buff.
Oh boy, this is gonna be good! I'll be looking for you on the Relationships Forum.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Oh boy, this is gonna be good! I'll be looking for you on the Relationships Forum.
I know what you mean but I don't see it heading that way. Well, we're just two brothers with the best of understanding. Mom is close to both of us. So this is not going to head into any trouble, not that I know of.

My father has left a will, so technically, my brother and I will inherit this money after mom. So if these solid investments multiply, we are sure to inherit more. That's why I recommended her to put this on gold.

I'm not gonna daytrade it like I am doing with my US stock accounts. I lost like 20K in Japan and it's still red (haven't sold any so it's still not a physical loss yet, but I have been trying to offset this loss with some short term bets, slow and painful process but worth it in the long run I hope, coz God only knows when Uranium will rally).

I can't imagine taking such risky bets with my father's hard earned money.... money he personally accumulated for the family. The investments are spread across gold, silver and sturdy Indian tickers like Reliance, Infosys and ONGC, and mutual funds.

And relationship between me and my brother is like Ram and Lakshman in the Hindu epic Ramayana. So I think we'll do good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing