Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The three best bets for a more cuthroat bear market are (these are mine):

1. Eurozone crisis and a France downgrade

2. The continuing woes of BAC, mortgages and housing

3. A possible downgrade of America again by S&P

You can look at silver. Not as overbought as gold and has immense upside potential.
I like silver better too right now. More upside potential over the next 5-10 years and less expensive to buy into.

The only downside is you have to physically buy more of it to amount to anything resembling an "investment", which presents storage and safe keeping challenges. Those 500oz mint boxes are pretty slick though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 AM

330 posts, read 599,709 times
NOW is NOT the time to invest in Gold (or silver)... here is the ONLY fact that we have.. from 1914-2010 the average inflation adjusted price for gold was $672 per ounce. Gold is almost three times that amount right now. I understand that the price should be higher than the average in this economy and with the decline of the dollar. But three times the amount is simply too much. This is indeed a gold bubble. I will buy after the pop.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Here is GLD vs SPY:

Trends like that don't reverse very suddenly. Not when driven by fear.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Here's the sobering article that was cited by ariadne22 a page back - that link didn't work:

THE SWISS FRANC AND THE DEVELOPING CRISIS – cheechdog - My Telegraph (http://my.telegraph.co.uk/cheechdog/cheech/15951474/the-swiss-franc-and-the-developing-crisis/#more-15951474 - broken link)

Last edited by HankDfrmSD; 08-21-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Thanks for reposting a good link. It is a must read.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
I'm afraid that some of you that are buying gold now are going to get burned.

(Just a fair warning 'cause I'm going to be laughing my ass off at all the speculators that get burned when gold crashes and I don't want to feel guilty for laughing at my internet correspondents. )

Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,750,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm afraid that some of you that are buying gold now are going to get burned.

(Just a fair warning 'cause I'm going to be laughing my ass off at all the speculators that get burned when gold crashes and I don't want to feel guilty for laughing at my internet correspondents. )

I think you're right. So many times people think that now things are "different", but things always go back to historical averages, whether it's stocks, tulips or real estate. The whole bubble mentality is to look for why it's going to be different this time, but it never is. Like how people were saying that real estate will forever plateau, because prices just don't fall or how so many dot coms were a sure thing, even though they weren't ever profitable. The ride down will be fun to watch.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Here is GLD vs SPY:

Trends like that don't reverse very suddenly. Not when driven by fear.
Gotta say that's a scary chart. Gold sure does look like it's headed for a plunge. On the other hand, our politicians here and abroad don't want to handle the problem, so there could be a lot more fear afoot with all the dithering. More and more execs on TV/CNBC ranting at the do-nothing politicians. Heard one (Rodriguez) say yesterday we've got about 15 months before we go over a cliff - about 4 mins in.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000040384

Guess the politicos figure they may as well take their August vacations - since we're not at the brink - yet.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-21-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,325,370 times
Gold is at an all time high and stocks are cheap. Buy low and sell high is the only investin rule that matters, and gold is ULTRA high. Could it go higher? Sure it could. But will it go up significantly? I doubt it, and I wouldn't feel safe about it staying as high as it is. Fortunes are made by buying when there's blood in the street, and that's RIGHT NOW people. Load up on good, discounted stocks and load up on financials while they're a bargain basement special. If you MUST own something gold related, look at FCX or NEW, both great (and cheap) gold stocks. Personally, I prefer FCX because it's also a copper play. And meanwhile, here's a good article to take a look at.

Gold Market Bubble 'poised To Burst,' Wells Fargo Says - InvestmentNews

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Gotta say that's a scary chart. Gold sure does look like it's headed for a plunge. On the other hand, our politicians here and abroad don't want to handle the problem, so there could be a lot more fear afoot with all the dithering. More and more execs on TV/CNBC ranting at the do-nothing politicians. Heard one (Rodriguez) say yesterday we've got about 15 months before we go over a cliff - about 4 mins in.

Stocks vs. Bonds - CNBC

Guess the politicos figure they may as well take their August vacations - since we're not at the brink - yet.
When five consecutive Thursday job reports tell us that the US economy added several ten thousand jobs and cut into the UE%, that would be when I would prefer to sell gold. Until then, I don't mind riding the tiger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing