Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times

Advertisements

Did someone say their shoeshine boy is buying gold? That reminds me of the story (I may have the names wrong) that in 1928 J P Morgan heard a cabdriver talking about his stock investments, he knew it was time to sell. The assertion that the Fed is running the printing presses overtime may have already been discounted by the market. Those who got in at $300 will be fine, but at $1800 could lose their shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
If you're all confidant that the dollar will be worth nothing in a few years, why not just skip all this gold nonsense and get on to the good stuff. You're going to need that food producing farm so you don't die starving in the streets. You're right. You can't eat gold and you can't eat paper. But you can eat food from your farm. So buy up that farm land, seeds, farm equiptment and livestock with a loan in us dollars. Then in a few years it will be practically free as the dollar is worth nothing.
My family has farms back in my Dad's village

We raise paddy, cashews and coconuts lol. Plenty of livestock too. So I guess I'm covered there.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:53 PM

740 posts, read 1,974,522 times
Considering I live in Ecuador, and am a gold prospector, AND my gold mining partner and I both have farmland...I think I a set. How about you, Felix? All set for food, fresh water and ammo?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Considering I live in Ecuador, and am a gold prospector, AND my gold mining partner and I both have farmland...I think I a set. How about you, Felix? All set for food, fresh water and ammo?

nah...i'm not a farmer. i live in the US. have you seen our people? if i get too hungry, i'll eat the fat ones. and to fend of the governments mind control waves i've got a nice tin foil hat ready to go.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM

740 posts, read 1,974,522 times
Quote:
nah...i'm not a farmer. i live in the US. have you seen our people? if i get too hungry, i'll eat the fat ones. and to fend of the governments mind control waves i've got a nice tin foil hat ready to go.
Felix, you are doomed!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Anything over 2400 means global turmoil, rioting and bloodshed
Quote:
Ariadne, I made some phone calls to folks in Mumbai overnight. One of them was my father's brokerage agent. He is so bullish on gold that it scares me. He's saying 3K in 10-12 months.
Actually, I think that's not at all far-fetched, but I hate like heck to go out and buy the hard stuff at these prices.

So - we're looking at global turmoil, rioting and bloodshed? If govt. gets serious on austerity, it's a reality where I live. Lots of unemployed, uneducated, impoverished minorities just a few miles away. We had rioting in the 60's. Could happen again.

Antlered and Alaskan, you guys are set. Best we've been able to do here is buy guns, ammo, canned and dried food, as well as a water purifier and generator. Continuing to stock up on food. Son was a Y2K entrepreneur. Made a lot of money at it, too. Still has all his survival basics. City dwellers, although we do know three farm families pretty well - about an hour or two away from where we live. In a pinch, I guess we could haul all our stuff out there and live in their barns, or something. Or put up a lean-to.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-03-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
If anything untoward were to happen in America, like a doomsday scenario, I'll catch a flight and go "home", yikes

I'm not a big fan of civil wars, hyper-inflation and street-wise rioting and looting.

On second thoughts, NO, I am not gonna give up on my American dream that fast

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 09-04-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,005 times
I kind of agree with treasurekidd. Gold is at a high and stocks are at a low. Who knows where gold is going. I would guess it's not going too far down anytime soon, but we know stocks are low. Buy low, sell high.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas75 View Post
I kind of agree with treasurekidd. Gold is at a high and stocks are at a low. Who knows where gold is going. I would guess it's not going too far down anytime soon, but we know stocks are low. Buy low, sell high.
It's a funny thing becoz people told me the same thing at 1400 some months ago. Suddenly I'm like 500 bucks up per ounce.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,131 times
Quote:
It's a funny thing becoz people told me the same thing at 1400 some months ago. Suddenly I'm like 500 bucks up per ounce.

well, i bought a house in 2002 for 250k and sold in 2005 for over 500k. now the house is worth maybe 350k. it doesn't mean that the higher prices go, the higher prices will go. and typically when you get a huge spike like that, it's near the end. i don't have a crystal ball, but that's the classic pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing