Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

I get an ad in the mail pitching this "wonderful" triple play deal (internet, voice and tv) for around $90/mo for two years. So I go on the internet and start subscribing and adding things to the cart and there are all these extra equipment charges, fees, and taxes (this is for the most basic stuff only, no extra packages or extra equipment). The final bill has an additional $65/mo added to it. The advertised $90/mo for two years is no longer $90/mo.

This is like if you walked into the grocery store and went over to buy a gallon of milk and the price tag said $3.00. Then you go to the checkout and find out the $3.00 is for the milk itself. The container it comes in will cost an extra $ .50. You want fat-free, that's an extra $ .83 process removal fee. The total is now $4.33.

Are they being clever or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,998 times
They always do this ... advertize the price for the basic entry level package. No HD, no boxes, no DVR, no extra channels, no cable modem, etc.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
They always do this ... advertize the price for the basic entry level package. No HD, no boxes, no DVR, no extra channels, no cable modem, etc.
I know. Everybody should advertise this way, especially grocery stores, department stores, etc.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
If it's Comacst you get a single box for the regular channels and can get two crappy boxes for CRT TV's, if you want HD you have to upgrade. There's a $7 charge for the VOIP modem which is hard to obtain yourself becsue they won't activate a VOIP modem that hasn't been purchased from them... at least that was the last I heard about it. The taxes and fees are really not their charges.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
It's the voice part that's the ripoff these days. When you can get Internet phone service for less than $10/month from multiple places like Ooma, you shouldn't be rolling it into your bundle.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's the voice part that's the ripoff these days. When you can get Internet phone service for less than $10/month from multiple places like Ooma, you shouldn't be rolling it into your bundle.
I'm thinking about getting rid of it especially with the modem charge jacking it up another $7. They say you can buy one but try doing it and then if you do find one it's like double the price.

One thing to note, the VOIP service does not count against the bandwidth cap but I'd assume that is inconsequential for most people.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's not even that part that makes it a ripoff... it's the part where you pay twice for the same service. You pay xx.xx amount for your internet connection. Then you pay more money to use a phone.... on that same internet connection. So all you are paying for with the "home phone" is the ability to use your phone on the internet connection you already are paying for.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's not even that part that makes it a ripoff... it's the part where you pay twice for the same service. You pay xx.xx amount for your internet connection. Then you pay more money to use a phone.... on that same internet connection. So all you are paying for with the "home phone" is the ability to use your phone on the internet connection you already are paying for.
Technically the phone is separate service, as I mentioned above it doesn't count against the bandwidth cap or affect you internet speed.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think that the advertised price is the total price.

When I go to the store and buy a pair of shoes, I know I will be paying a sales tax.... not a problem. If I want a pair of sox, I know I have to pay for that also plus the tax. But when I buy the shoes, I'm not told "If you want the shoelaces there will be an additional charge," "There is also an additional charge for the box they come in and the other packaging materials." So I expect a 6% sales tax and that's fine.

But when I checked out the final price on the deal in my op, the increase over the advertised price was like around 70% ............ what a deal!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Technically the phone is separate service, as I mentioned above it doesn't count against the bandwidth cap or affect you internet speed.
Compared to streaming TV, the amount of bandwidth a phone connection uses is tiny. Don't let fear of phone service counting against your bandwidth cap worry you into overpaying for a phone bundle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet