Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Don't let fear of phone service counting against your bandwidth cap worry you into overpaying for a phone bundle.
Hence the reason I suggested it's "inconsequential" for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Technically the phone is separate service, as I mentioned above it doesn't count against the bandwidth cap or affect you internet speed.
In addition, it should be noted that some companies no longer enforce a bandwidth cap (e.g., Comcast), so even if the phone bandwidth were being counted, the data xfer involved wouldn't matter.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
In addition, it should be noted that some companies no longer enforce a bandwidth cap (e.g., Comcast), so even if the phone bandwidth were being counted, the data xfer involved wouldn't matter.
AFAIK they haven't dropped the idea of bandwidth caps, they are going to offer tiered plans.

What are the different plans you will be launching?

I can see issue with is already, they list 300GB as the limit for econonmy plus:

Quote:
In the Fresno, California, market, we will begin trialing a Flexible-Data Option specifically designed for casual or light Internet users who typically use 5 GB of data or less a month. This option will be available only to Economy Plus customers and will provide a $5 credit if a customer’s total monthly data usage is less than or equal to 5 GB per month. However, if a customer that chooses this option uses more than 5 GB of data in any given month, then she will not receive the $5 credit, and will be charged an additional $1 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option.
What the hell kind of deal is that? You could for example end up paying $21 for 6GB when you can get 300GB for $20. And then if you have infected computer and it runs up 300GB of usage in month?

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-16-2013 at 04:28 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
This is pretty common for may type of purchases where you are getting a deal for one portion of the entire purchase. Like 15% of parts, free weekend car rental etc. But you still have to pay full price on the other portion that make up the entire product/service.

Angie's List's "big deals" are similar. You pay a discounted amount for x hours of contractor work up front. But that only includes labor...the materials are extra. And unless you know exactly what needs to be done, the trip they take to get the necessary materials counts against your time. Or they'll bring more than one person, since its man hours you purchased, they count the total time for all workers. This may or may not work out depending on the work. You may find one of them sitting around not doing anything since the work doesn't always take two people....

Not defending or criticizing these organizations. The key here is just understanding what you are paying for. There are definitely deals to be had. I actually decreased my cable bill recently by upgrading my Internet service.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I actually decreased my cable bill recently by upgrading my Internet service.
If you call Comcast and complain or threaten to cancel they will offer you more service for slightly lower rate but that bumps your rates up down the road. If you don't take that offer they will lower the charges for your current plan but then in year or two you need to repeat. I had an ex girlfriend that strung AOL along for years like that, every time the charges were going to kick in after her free service was up she'd call to cancel and they would extend it.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Technically the phone is separate service, as I mentioned above it doesn't count against the bandwidth cap or affect you internet speed.
It absolutely is not. It requires a separate box that turns the Data coming from the cable into something your phone can use. It's a separate device running over your existing broadband connection that you are already paying for.
You don't seriously think they dedicate an extra 69K to just your phone line (which is a decent amount for a quality call)?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It absolutely is not. It requires a separate box that turns the Data coming from the cable into something your phone can use. It's a separate device running over your existing broadband connection that you are already paying for.
That's not how it works with Comcast. The cable carries TV, Internet and phone. You wouldn't consider the cable TV part of your internet package would you? It's three distinct and separate services, e.g if I want just the phone I can purchase that, I don;t need their internet service for phone service.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
That is always true no matter the provider. For example only internet depends if you buy your own modem/router or lease. Then fees and taxes are locally dependent on some.That is service fee only has pointed out if one looks closely.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
AFAIK they haven't dropped the idea of bandwidth caps, they are going to offer tiered plans.

What are the different plans you will be launching?

I can see issue with is already, they list 300GB as the limit for econonmy plus:
Interesting. Thanks! We're still hanging around 180GB-220GB per month with Netflix and friends, so we'll still be good under those caps, but I certainly appreciate the information.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
The cable carries TV, Internet and phone. You wouldn't consider the cable TV part of your internet package would you?
Let me guess: you are paying for that "landline"?

Quote:
It's three distinct and separate services, e.g if I want just the phone I can purchase that, I don;t need their internet service for phone service.
No, it's not. When you sign up for a company like Vonage, do they run a new internet connection to your house? No, they plug in a different kind of modem that runs over your existing internet connection.

Of course you can get just the phone service (which will be a data connection connected to the VOIP modem). Why wouldn't they offer that? But if you decide to add internet to that package, they aren't running a new line to your house. They use the existing broadband connection.
My point is it costs them exactly NOTHING for you to run that "phone" over their system. Because it uses that existing. broadband. connection. and they charge you "rent" for the modem that does it.
But they charge you a "discount" for all 3 and you think you're getting a deal.
It's a total ripoff.

It all comes down to marketing.
http://www.multichannel.com/cable-op...le-play/143043
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet