Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 AM

14 posts, read 35,080 times

Advertisements

Okay I've been visiting Terre Haute a lot lately, and I think I might like to move there. My mother in law grew up there and said she loves going back to visit her family but doesn't know much about what has changed. Can anyone offer advice on good/bad areas, what are the schools like, property management companies to go through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Have you had chance to look at these threads - just spend a few minutes, speed read, get a flavour for what is being stated. I've been through the town quite often [TH is ~1/2 way between Ft Wayne and MO home areas ], had an interview there years back, but decided for me that was not place to be... I can't say really much about the town per se as have not lived there, but IMHO there is not much positive from what I've read/heard. Shame, as it seems that could be a quite good place, esp. with the river in the area.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...rre-haute.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...thin-60-a.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...elocation.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...rre-haute.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...aute-like.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...cut-above.html

Good luck...

Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM

26 posts, read 127,937 times
we lived there about 9 years ago I really liked it the parks are great ,there was alot of different programs for the kids we never really had any problems there from what I've seen most people complaining are the same ones and say things like theres nothing to do..We never seemed to have a problem with that we went to the library,parks, out to eat, went for walks ,movies and went to Indianapolis for the zoo once in awhile,there were even shows that came into town sesame street for the kids and diff. concerts so I guess it depends on what you wanna do..I moved backed to Florida to be near family but have really missed Terre Haute it has no where near the over crowdedness or hassle thats here we are planning on moving back between Feb. and June of next year my oldest is graduating so I'm trying to hold off for that but might not..

Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 AM

438 posts, read 1,359,795 times
I love terre haute for alot of things, the parks, the Family Y, airboat tours on the river, concerts in Fairbanks park, Sam's club {with 6 people in the family Sam's is a must} River Wools, and of course Baesler's Most of the people I've met, worked with, and interacted with shopping, visiting family who were patients in Regional or Union or working out at the Y have been very nice, open, and very friendly.

A lot fewer areas in Terre Haute give me the creeps than did even last year. There doesn't seem to be as many run-down decaying neighborhoods as used to be, many of them appear to be on the upswing even in the current economy. New shops are opening and staying open past their first anniversary sale, which is usually fabulous news economically speaking. The mall was more packed sometimes than some of Indy's suburban malls during the Christmas holidays, which is incredible if you think about how many more stores the suburban malls have than Honey Creek.

All in all Terre Haute is a fun place to hang out, visit, play, and work. If it seems too busy or whatever to live inperhaps look into one of the outlying communities within easy commute to work in Terre Haute.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM

32 posts, read 187,850 times
I have never actually lived in Terre Haute, but have spent quite a bit of time there on business over the last 20 years or so. I too think it gets knocked unfairly.

I have found some great restaurants there and agree with the comments on the friendliness of the people. I actually did some Christmas shopping at the mall as well this year and agree that it really has just about everything you would find in Indy or Evansville. Well, unless you are looking for a Target. For some strange reason, you won't find a Target or Best Buy here.

It seems that most of the people knocking Terre Haute are doing it by comparing it to the larger areas. I really think it compares very favorably when you compare it to similar sized cities in Indiana, Kokomo, Anderson, Muncie, Lafayette, Columbus, Richmond, Elkhart, etc..

I haven't heard about the airboat tours. What's the scoop with them, are they open to the public?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM

here's the website: Joes Airboats - Home He sets up in the lower parking lot at the Y with the boat, a towable concession stand type trailer and a pickup truck, or at least that was his setup this year.

Have you visited the aquarium at the far end of the park? Inland Aquatics Homepage It's actually pretty neatinside, despite the building being not much to look at outside. I actually couldn't believe it was in there until I saw it for myself.

here's a site overflowing with links to all sorts of things in and around Terre Haute for families and just about anyone who isn't a couch potato to the extreme... http://www.gsofsi.org/pdf/trips/attr...erre_haute.pdf

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

148 posts, read 459,196 times
A Best Buy will be opening on the south side of TH sometime this year.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
A Best Buy will be opening on the south side of TH sometime this year.
:yeah: I saw the sign hanging on the former Goody's store front last week

Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
:yeah: I saw the sign hanging on the former Goody's store front last week
that's great! columbus lost it's circuit city and it's Old Navy store

Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 PM

165 posts, read 552,852 times
For 5 years I went to T.H once a month for Guard Duty and I always enjoyed it. It's a perfect size city for me. I have been to many cities in this country and they all have similarities. T.H has good areas and bad, and the city won't appeal to everyone. But I can tell you it is much cleaner and safer than Anchorage AK. I can't speak of th night life or schools though because I never dealt with that. But overall I enjoyed T.H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana