Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,682 times

Advertisements

I was trying to avoid this, but most of the forums I saw about Terre Haute were a few years old.

I'm moving to Terre Haute, IN soon. I don't really know what to expect. Reviews are all over the place. Some like it, others hate it.

Bottom line of any area is if you like it or not. But, even then, you usually have something you like, or hate.

So, my question is:
What is the thing you like and hate the most about Terre Haute?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:03 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,874 times
Currently I live about 35-45 minutes from TH but we're there so much with school, work & life we're actually looking at moving to Seelyville in the fall.

I love the fact that 99% of my shopping can be done in Terre Haute. Just about the only things it lacks now that I can think of are Barnes & Noble, Dicks, and a larger selection of natural foods & wellness options. There is a Walden in the mall and the Books A Million across the street from same, but I have a Nook so B & N is huge for me since I can read any book available in e-format for free in the store {or in the parking lot/immediate vicininty in some instances} And there's Gander Mountain but they don't have the workout gear, bicycle gear and soccer gear we thrive on. There are places to get those things in the Haute obviously but I'm spoiled having grown up going to Galyans and Sports Plus in Indianapolis and doing all sports shopping in one place at one time.

The best things? Where to start? I love Baeslers for the wide selection of natural & organic groceries and OTC meds, and their handy list of what GF/CF foods they carry and where to find them is a lifesaver when I'm shopping with 3 tired kids. I love the parks and the variety and quality of equipment they provide. The girls at the Bluebird Style Studio have done a fabulous job building an amazing salon from the ground up and earning a reputation for high quality beauty at half what the same services would cost in the city. The mall is good for getting in exercise in the cold/heat, and has most of the major shops I love, and far less parking hassles than the larger malls in the city or even College Mall. I love that while my husband is in school or at school studying, I can drive less than 30 minutes to a fresh meat market and all kinds of fresh fruit stands where I can see the fields the produce came from. A few of them even have an honor system box for after-hours purchases! Union Hospital saved my best friends life on two separate occasions and quickly and easily found the cause of the problem even after larger hospitals had missed it. Regional saved my father's life when his heart stopped beating for no apparent reason other than old age and their cardiac team found and fixed several 'small' problems with his heart, which added years to his life and life to his years, literally. Their outpatient PT & OT services are top notch, comparable to and sometimes better than those my 11 y/o received at St. Vincent Pediatric Rehab up in Indy. Her progress since going there has been amazing. Even her IU taught, trained and employed neurologist is stunned by the positive changes they've made with her.

I could go on, seriously. I know there are problems and bad neighborhoods and the smell does still linger sometimes especially along the river but where isn't there crime these days? I've never actually been scared anywhere in TH at any hour even walking by myself after dark. Listen to your intuition, same as any other place you find yourself. If your internal alarm bells are going off, pay attention.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 28,418 times
I have a different perspective than from mkat321.

I lived near Terre Haute for 18-years. I lived in Terre Haute for 24-years. I did not live in a bad neighborhood. Living in Terre Haute was a living nightmare. Do not ever get involved with the police or the judicial system and once you do, move away quickly and never look back. Do not trust anyone. Do not ever complain. You saw nothing. You heard nothing. You know nothing.

I moved away from Terre Haute to another Indiana location. I thought I had moved far enough away. I am now considering on moving much farther away. I have not found anyone from Terre Haute that lets bygones be bygones.

After moving to my new location, I met a woman whose sister moved to Terre Haute. She agrees with me that living in Terre Haute has been a living nightmare and the first opportunity she gets to move away, she's taking it. This woman has been moritifed at what the police allow to occur. Do not ever complain. Just keep your mouth shut.

I hope you don't have children. The school systems are worse. If they don't like you, you don't stand a chance. Homeschooling might be an option.

The small town is great until someone notices you! I got noticed because I dated a man that another woman wanted. I've seen people get hurt for less reasons.

My new location is much better than Terre Haute.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,874 times
Notice I said I love TH for shopping, work and the social and cultural opportunities but will be looking outside the city limits for housing.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 28,418 times
I agree with the shopping! I certainly enjoy eating at IHOP. I simply loved attending ISU and getting my college degree. LOL

Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,696 times
I know this is an old thread, but just moved back to TH after being away 28 years. Back then I couldn't get away fast enough. I heard it's improved and moved back after marrying. It's a little different than before, but not better. There are a few nice people, but overall backward and little drive. It has potential, but until it's cleaned up and modernized, it's depressing. IMHO

Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 AM

123 posts, read 227,607 times
Best: near Chicago and St Louis

Worst: EASTERN TIME ZONE!!!! SUNSET AT 10PM AND SUNRISE AT 9AM??????

Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
I live in Cincinnati and only go there to go to the Terre Haute Action track and even that is starting to go downhill, which is sad. I couldn't be bothered with anything else.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
Best: near Chicago and St Louis

Worst: EASTERN TIME ZONE!!!! SUNSET AT 10PM AND SUNRISE AT 9AM??????
I would love that!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Terre Haute gets a bad rap in Indiana, and it is not entirely deserved. The downtown is improving. Java Haute is a nice little coffee shop closer to the football stadium. ISU has a nice campus. It is a short drive to Indianapolis, plus Chicago is close enough for a day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana