Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 47,551 times

Advertisements

Paper mill gone, and that was "Oo Oo, That Smell" we all suffered with. But, happy days...no more smell. I can go for a walk at midnight and not feel threatened. All cities big and small have their fair share of crime, drugs, idiots, and politicians. Just can't get away from THAT "smell". You choose what you want to be around, right? But, all in all, this is a great place to raise a family. Lots of teens like it here, friendships are important to them and my 4 kids thrived and have gone on to their careers and lives, and have kept their life long friends. 2 still live here, and the other 2 are gone because of the profession they chose and the offers they took, but always love coming home. The city keeps its trees in the neighborhoods and that is nice too. When we suffer any weather problem, the people who come out to help is incredible. We are a simple, easy and laid back community, with its own vitality. Our arts culture is small, but our hearts are big. We are a shopping hub for many many smaller communities. You can find anything you want. Even Mellencamp called ti "the big city" he would go to for a night of fun. Target is no biggie to me at all. Restaurants abound here and is the thing to do on the weekends, so be prepared to sit and chat with other community dwellers, as most of us are pretty friendly. Plenty of Hoosier Hospitality here.
Sorry, just had to add some more... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,198 times
Tell your parents they are right. There are a lot of cheap houses here. However, its probably because they are older than dirt. There are a lot of really nice houses in Terre Haute as well. You would want to think of Terre Haute as 5 towns. Terre North, East, South, West, and Main. I chose to live in the South because it is nicer to me. Its more expensive than the other areas yet still affordable. If I were you, and wanting to go to ISU I would live at Heritage Trail Apts. They are nice and not far from school. They would be located in the main. Stay away from Terre West. They don't have all their teeth.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 PM

801 posts, read 2,567,040 times
I know its an old post, but for the next person who comes along and wants some additional thoughts:

For mid-sized schools, check out two of the MAC schools (Mid-American Conference): Ball State and Bowling Green. BSU and BGSU are both building constantly, improving their campuses, have solid programs, nice communities, and are schools/cities where you won't get lost in the crowd.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 901 times
While Terre Haute may have some issues, I would say overall it is a safe place to live. Having been born and raised in Terre Haute, I couldn't wait to leave after college and go elsewhere. However, I soon found out that Terre Haute looked pretty damn good compared to other places and I returned. I graduated with my BA and MA from Indiana State University and immediately got a job and have never had trouble getting employment with my degrees. My oldest daughter graduated from ISU, *** laude, and immediately was hired in her degree area, while some of her friends who attended bigger name colleges such as Butler and IU have yet to be hired. My youngest child is in her third year at ISU and doing well. Neither lived on campus. I own two homes in Terre Haute which I rent to college students. My homes are very nice with fenced backyards, garages, full basements and furnished well. I am definitely not a slum lord. One can find apartments and housing in Terre Haute for all economic levels. Just like in all towns across America you will find diverse economic and cultural backgrounds. While it would be nice to have a Target, we do have Walmart, Meijer, K-mart, Honey creek mall, and a good variety of restaurants and entertainment. As far as walking around campus at night, I wouldn't advise that on any college campus in America--even Oral Roberts University. Face it, the world isn't the same as it use to be. Terre Haute not only has ISU, but also Rose Hulman, Ivy Tech, St. Mary of the Woods college for women, Indiana Business college, some nice parks, cultural events. My advice is to make a visit to the city and drive around, check out some local churches, pick up the paper and read about local events. Make an appointment with the admissions department of ISU and have a chat. I have never regretted going to ISU and I'm proud to be a Sycamore! Good luck on your decision! Best wishes on your future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana