Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell71 View Post
were talking college here right??I'm confused that means 18 or older usually so how does my mom or daddy not letting me fit in here ..You can do what you want right ?My kids are 15 and 18 and I don't think I'll be telling them where to go to school I might suggest and may not be happy but they work for it they pay for it and of legal age its their call..So this is a very weird forum to me
Methinks mom and dad are footing the bill, therefore, they have a say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM

308 posts, read 1,042,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell71 View Post
were talking college here right??I'm confused that means 18 or older usually so how does my mom or daddy not letting me fit in here ..You can do what you want right ?My kids are 15 and 18 and I don't think I'll be telling them where to go to school I might suggest and may not be happy but they work for it they pay for it and of legal age its their call..So this is a very weird forum to me
I have to give the original poster credit for trying to get scoop on an area her Mom was concerned with! And... if I was uncertain about an area my kid, aged 10 or 40, was considering, I'd want to have a say as well. (whether or not I'm the one paying).

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,999,824 times
I think it would be a huge mistake to go to ISU without even considering IU or Purdue. I don't get it at all. IU is a nationally known university with some outstanding programs, and Purdue is a great engineering school. ISU isn't a bad school, but it's simply not in the same league. Terre Haute isn't that bad; like Domergurl said it's a blue collar town that happens to have a small university in it. Bloomington is a great college town, Lafayette maybe not quite as focused on the university, but West Lafayette, where Purdue is, is still a nice place to live.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to me you are settling for a lower quality educational experience for no other reason than the size of the student body.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlover888 View Post
ISU is one of my possible choices for college. My parents & I are not familiar with Terre Haute or, for that matter, with Indiana. However, my parents have, for some reason I cannot fathom, put both a price limit & a SIZE limit on both the school & the town where the college is located. I cannot attend a college in a town with more than 75,000 population... & it must be in the MidWest.
Where would you go if you could go anywhere? What would you study?

Apply there, get loans to pay for it, and tell your overbearing parents to mind their own business. This is about your life, and your future, not theirs. I don't know what they're trying to protect you from, but it is simply insane that they would think you're better off at ISU because of the population of the town it's in. So I guess you wouldnt be allowed to go to Stanford because it's out west, or to Harvard because it's on the east coast, or to University of Chicago because it's in the big city.
If I'm picking up the tab for lunch, I pick the restaurant. And in the same line of thinking, your parents feel that because they are willing to pay for your college (or I assume they are, anyway) that THEY should get to decide where you go and what part of the country it's in. That's sickening. This isn't lunch, it's your first step into true adulthood, into your own future. And your parents want to limit that future by forcing you to go to a subpar school because they don't think you can handle it at a large campus or in a large city. Well exactly what do they think is going to happen when you graduate? Will you be forbidden from going to work in New York or Chicago because the population is too high? Responsible parents should, at a minimum, put themselves in a position to pay for their children's college education, but to do so only on the condition that the child attend a certain size school in a certain size town in a certain geographic area is pathetic, IMO. Please think long and hard about this before you go along with their insanity - you may well regret this decision for the rest of your life.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Where would you go if you could go anywhere? What would you study?

Apply there, get loans to pay for it, and tell your overbearing parents to mind their own business. This is about your life, and your future, not theirs. I don't know what they're trying to protect you from, but it is simply insane that they would think you're better off at ISU because of the population of the town it's in. So I guess you wouldnt be allowed to go to Stanford because it's out west, or to Harvard because it's on the east coast, or to University of Chicago because it's in the big city.
If I'm picking up the tab for lunch, I pick the restaurant. And in the same line of thinking, your parents feel that because they are willing to pay for your college (or I assume they are, anyway) that THEY should get to decide where you go and what part of the country it's in. That's sickening. This isn't lunch, it's your first step into true adulthood, into your own future. And your parents want to limit that future by forcing you to go to a subpar school because they don't think you can handle it at a large campus or in a large city. Well exactly what do they think is going to happen when you graduate? Will you be forbidden from going to work in New York or Chicago because the population is too high? Responsible parents should, at a minimum, put themselves in a position to pay for their children's college education, but to do so only on the condition that the child attend a certain size school in a certain size town in a certain geographic area is pathetic, IMO. Please think long and hard about this before you go along with their insanity - you may well regret this decision for the rest of your life.

Come on now Nap ... if mom and dad are footing the bill, they have a say so!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Look, I didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm sure they are loving, well-meaning parents who only want the best for their child.

I realize they have a say so because they will write the check, that's not in question. But it's beyond having "a" say so, it appears they are completely in control of where their daughter goes to school.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I still think she should do what's best for HER instead of trying to fulfill her parents' wishes. If they love her they'll help her out with college. If they don't I pity them.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Look, I didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm sure they are loving, well-meaning parents who only want the best for their child.

I realize they have a say so because they will write the check, that's not in question. But it's beyond having "a" say so, it appears they are completely in control of where their daughter goes to school.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I still think she should do what's best for HER instead of trying to fulfill her parents' wishes. If they love her they'll help her out with college. If they don't I pity them.
Hey, no insult taken Nap .. I want her to go to IU!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:29 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,033,355 times
Terre Haute is a decent place to live. Certainly not the best, but decent.

Many of the houses are cheap because they're old, and because the cost of living in Terre Haute is particularly low even for Indiana. There are nicer parts of town on the outskirts that are considerably more expensive, but more middle class.

The city itself has about 60,000 so it isn't terribly small. The poverty and unemployment issues are a bit of a problem in T.H., but it's improving.

As for ISU, it's a medium-large university with about 10,000 students so there shouldn't be a problem finding resources there. ISU has a couple of programs that other schools in Indiana don't offer, and because of the smaller size there's a personal attention component that you won't get at a school like IU or Purdue.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,738,206 times
I went to ISU, and I enjoyed it. i didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Terre Haute has some very nice parks, and had everything I needed at the time. One thing about TH, though, is the smell. We just drove through there 3 days ago coming home from a trip, and it still stinks. Literally. I don't know if it is the factories or the river or what, but it definitely has a funky odor to it.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 PM

18 posts, read 78,098 times
IMHO, Kat sounds like a very mature person - for a kid. To me anyone under 30 is a kid.<g> She's was taking her parents concerns into consideration & trying to find an answer for them, which means that she probably values & respects their opinions & experience. Yes, Nap, older folks tend to have a tad more experience than younger folks - Perhaps not in teckie stuff or contemporary music, etc - but just generally in life. They've sidestepped or landed in the pitfalls themselves.

One little thing about taking out loans. You can end up in hock up to your a**. I had a friend who ended up owing over $70K after grad school. That was affecting every decision she made - whether or not to take a low paying, but promising, internship, later which jobs. She took one that she disliked, because it paid more, so she'd be off the hook faster. She & her boyfriend together owed well over $100K. At that time (& probably now, once again) they couldn't get a loan to buy a house. They put off marriage & children.

So, when you take out loans, you have to factor in consequences that you may not foresee or which loan officers may not tell you about. To get thru college w/o loans, I chose to attend locally & live at home. I was not sorry that I did because when I graduated I owed nobody nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana