Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It seems money has been poured into IPS for years. What do they have to show for it? Very poor results. If you were an investor, would you invest into that which has performed well or that which has struggled?
Many years, the highest ranked school in the state of Indiana is an IPS school. IPS has a lot of great things going on. The magnets are all generally very good if not great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Many years, the highest ranked school in the state of Indiana is an IPS school. IPS has a lot of great things going on. The magnets are all generally very good if not great schools.
I don't think that high school is reflective of the average IPS school or student population.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't think that high school is reflective of the average IPS school or student population.
Does that make it not a part of IPS? IPS is not without its problems, but that does not mean all of IPS is bad. IPS does have very good magnet schools.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Magnet schools

Magnet schools cherry pick the best and brightest students. You cannot compare selective enrollment IPS school to open enrollment Carmel HS.

Average performance of students at IPS sucks compared to average performance of student at Carmel HS. There certainly are outliers but IPS generally lags behind.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Magnet schools cherry pick the best and brightest students. You cannot compare selective enrollment IPS school to open enrollment Carmel HS.

Average performance of students at IPS sucks compared to average performance of student at Carmel HS. There certainly are outliers but IPS generally lags behind.
Someone could also claim that IPS has more higher performing students, but of course they will - it's a bigger system.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The magnet schools are lottery. Most of them are open to anyone who makes the effort to fill out paperwork. They don't "cherry pick." There are some advanced schools that you have to earn entry too, but does Carmel not have programs like that too?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Someone could also claim that IPS has more higher performing students, but of course they will - it's a bigger system.
None of this changes the false perception of this forum that IPS is all bad. It is certainly possible for someone who to attend an IPS school to earn as quality an education as you would get in Carmel.

It requires less effort on the part of the parent to do so in Carmel, so it makes sense it is more popular. There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Carmel vs IPS

Toxic Toast,

I think you underestimate how important good parents are to academic success of students in IPS and Carmel.

If the average parent put in as much effort as your average parent in Carmel, test scores would skyrocket but unfortunately this is not going to happen anytime soon. It is the same in Chicago when you compare New Trier with CPS. Bad parents often lead to bad students, not always but much of the time.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Toxic Toast,

I think you underestimate how important good parents are to academic success of students in IPS and Carmel.

If the average parent put in as much effort as your average parent in Carmel, test scores would skyrocket but unfortunately this is not going to happen anytime soon. It is the same in Chicago when you compare New Trier with CPS. Bad parents often lead to bad students, not always but much of the time.
Seems the only thing I have underestimated is your desire to get the last word in every thread.

Yeah I know, IPS has some bad parents. That does not really have anything to do with anything I said. Nor does the state of CPS.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,035 times
Default Very

I moved to NW Indiana 18 yrs ago. I am miserable. I'm originally from Annapolis MD and I was and continue to be appalled by the bigoted and racist ways of thinking here. I have never met so many negative people in my life. Most are very neglectful to their hygiene which is bothersome. The school system is horrific. I have a special needs child and after many schools I finally in 10th grade have him in a good school even interested in helping him. Most have no manners and an attitude like the world owes them something. There is a road about 2.5 miles I believe there are 6 bars alone. I never got sick since living here I have breathing problems. I could go on and on but yes Indiana is extremely depressing.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Sounds like what people say when they move to Kentucky as well lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana