Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 AM

42 posts, read 105,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeyDuck View Post
Just curious, what makes you think because a place is sunny that people will be open-minded???
I keep reading this: People in Indiana are close-minded. In what way are people in Indiana close-minded??? Please give examples!!! Curious minds would like to know
I used to work for the state of Indiana and was my job was threatened if I discussed that I had a partner or if I had pictures of her at my desk. The funny thing is that everyone else was allowed to have these things because they are straight. When I contacted the state level HR I was told that this is Indiana and that my rights are not protected.

I have lived all around the world. I know sun doesn't cause open mindedness, I just meant that I want both sun and friendly atmosphere. This is a very conservative place and I don't like conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
I used to work for the state of Indiana and was my job was threatened if I discussed that I had a partner or if I had pictures of her at my desk. The funny thing is that everyone else was allowed to have these things because they are straight. When I contacted the state level HR I was told that this is Indiana and that my rights are not protected.

I have lived all around the world. I know sun doesn't cause open mindedness, I just meant that I want both sun and friendly atmosphere. This is a very conservative place and I don't like conservative.
There are a couple of gay folks at my workplace that have pics of their partners on their desks. I think your story is sad, but I don't think it is common.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmandy View Post
This is a very conservative place......
Again, laughable. If you really want to see conservative, try living in Arkansas for 8 years like I did.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,071,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Keep in mind, 'closed-minded' is (in many cases) a way of saying 'conservative.' Reality is that the 'open minded' liberals are the most intolerant of all! Just look at how they malign conservative African Americans and females, especially those females who are... god forbid... pro-life!
Well, not in my case of saying it. I find Indiana Far-left Liberals just as closed-minded and intolerant as Indiana Far-Right conservatives. There might be more of one type of nutjob than the other, but usually the ideas expressed by both are hopelessly outdated, very light on facts, and heavy on prejudice.

I consider an open-minded place to be somewhere a body can just be a body, live their life as they choose, and have their own opinion and lifestyle without having local people or the local government constantly on a mission to get you to think or act the same way they do.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
I am not sure if it is close minded or hard heads. Maybe its one in the same? I have been here almost 2 years and I try to focus on the things I like although if I had the opportunity I think I would like to leave the area. I can't speak for all of Indiana as I have only spent my time here in a specific area. The area is mostly conservative and although I am more of a moderate, some of the thinking does bother me. It has mostly to do with how passionate people feel about their guns. Not sure why Indiana went out of its way to pass the most recent gun law making it legal for people to keep guns in their cars while at the work place.

The hard head attitude is what probably drives me the most batty. Examples:

When we rented a house, the landlord was impossible to deal with when it came to issues with the house. He never wanted to believe anything was wrong with the house (the house was dump not sure why this was an issue). Then one day he asked if could pick up the rent early as he would be out of town. I told him several times since he was picking up the rent 2 1/2 weeks early that the money would not be in the bank. He said fine and the next day cashed it anyway. Yes stupid on my part to even give the check. Even though I post dated it, the bank still cashed it. It was paid by my bank but I got a lovely overdraft fee. When I called my landlord about it he insisted he never cashed it early EVEN though the photocopy of the check shows the date he cashed it.

When we were house hunting, I told my realtor we wanted to look in one specific area. She constantly gave me listings of places she felt we should live. It became such an issue we told her we were done looking. Then she started giving us what we wanted but still made comments.

When we finally found the house we wanted, my realtor wasnt accustomed to dealing with people outside the area. Our mortgage person was in Chicago. My realtor constantly told my mortgage lady how to do her job. My mortgage lady would call me up and say that she was at her wits end dealing with our realtor. She said in all her 20 years of handling mortgages she never met someone so hard headed about every aspect of the process. I had to keep the ladies separated.

When we moved into our house, the seller decided she wanted certain things from the house that were under contract. She was told no and she took them anyway. We threatened to sue and everyone thought we were being unreasonable.

I was looking for a used sofa for our basement. I looked on craigs list and was amazed that most of the ads were for horrible pieces of furniture that need to go to a curb. Its like dude...your crusty gold sofa from the 70's is not worth 200 bucks. The ads would be renewed every week.

Used cars. People need to understand that you can't sell a 1987 car and does not run for 3,000 dollars.

When I offered to help with a group my son joined through school, my ideas were dismissed. One of the projects were to design t shirts. I went to college for design. I tried telling the one mom how the design (she had picked out) would not fit on the t shirt. She insisted it would. The t shirts went to the printer and they said no way on the design. So the group had to pay an extra 40 bucks to get the shirts made. The printer had his in house graphic designer tweak the design. This could have been avoided if someone had listened to me. We could have saved 40 dollars.

My spouse comes home completely frustrated from his job. Engineers will convince the company to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to convert a machine to do something it was not meant to do. My spouse will talk to these engineers and explain over and over how it will not work. But it falls on deaf ears and after months and a ton of money, they will finally abandon the idea but never admit it was a mistake to begin with. The subject is dropped and they move on to something else.

Actually I could go on and on but I will quit here. I enjoy Indiana on the lower cost of living and the school my child attends but ya...if we had the opportunity to go someplace else, I would consider it. I can't say I am depressed now but at first I was. Indiana takes some adjustment.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Well, not in my case of saying it. I find Indiana Far-left Liberals just as closed-minded and intolerant as Indiana Far-Right conservatives. There might be more of one type of nutjob than the other, but usually the ideas expressed by both are hopelessly outdated, very light on facts, and heavy on prejudice.

I consider an open-minded place to be somewhere a body can just be a body, live their life as they choose, and have their own opinion and lifestyle without having local people or the local government constantly on a mission to get you to think or act the same way they do.

Fair enough.. There's no way for me to know what you meant by closed minded, but I did want to highlight that it's often code for conservative. I agree that the fringe on either side can be a bit hard to deal with.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,970 times
I am glad for those who like it here in Indiana...I on the other hand have 5 weeks left in this aweful state. I was born and raised here. Have lived in 4 different towns in Indiana (both big and small) but the problem I have is boredom. There just isn't anything to do unless you are spending money at a mall, you can only go to a state park so many times, and in the winter...well it speaks for itself. It is gloomy and depressing. I am just readoy to go somewhere where the sun shines and the people are a little more open minded. I am also looking forward to being in a community where you are in a community. I have been in the same place for 2 years and I don't really know my neighbors. I have tried talking to them...but everyone just stays to themselves. Well enough rambling. If your not happy do something about it. I did

I lived in FL and suffered from boredom.There is only so many times you can go to the beach,museum,Disney and the many other attractions that dominate the state as a whole .The only time Fl looks perfect is in the winter time when IN is in a deep freeze and the summer lets not go there .Everyone needs to find there own happiness for me moving out of FL was the best move I made and coming back home to Indiana . Best of luck .

Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
I am glad for those who like it here in Indiana...I on the other hand have 5 weeks left in this aweful state. I was born and raised here. Have lived in 4 different towns in Indiana (both big and small) but the problem I have is boredom. There just isn't anything to do unless you are spending money at a mall, you can only go to a state park so many times, and in the winter...well it speaks for itself. It is gloomy and depressing. I am just readoy to go somewhere where the sun shines and the people are a little more open minded. I am also looking forward to being in a community where you are in a community. I have been in the same place for 2 years and I don't really know my neighbors. I have tried talking to them...but everyone just stays to themselves. Well enough rambling. If your not happy do something about it. I did

I lived in FL and suffered from boredom.There is only so many times you can go to the beach,museum,Disney and the many other attractions that dominate the state as a whole .The only time Fl looks perfect is in the winter time when IN is in a deep freeze and the summer lets not go there .Everyone needs to find there own happiness for me moving out of FL was the best move I made and coming back home to Indiana . Best of luck .
You're absolutely right. ANYPLACE is going to get boring over time. Someone could move to some of the most 'exciting' places nationwide (Times Square, LV Strip, etc.) and it WILL get boring with enough time. It may take longer to get bored in Vegas than Indiana, but it's going to happen.

I'm not saying all places are the same or that a place with milder wintrs doesn't have an edge over places that get very cold, but it's very hard (if at all possible) to find a place where you won't get bored.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM

231 posts, read 701,831 times
Default Stuck in FLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post

We've lived in Florida(Tampa) for the past 5years and I agree. . the beach ~ blah after time... rather go to the pool. Everything else here you need to be loaded(money) to enjoy. Honestly, there's nothing here I like, except the weather Jan thru April. As for neighbors, we talk to a few, as in hello but that is really it. Most that we have came into contact with pretty much keep to themselves, as the same for us. I found the same thing in the year I lived in NW PA. .. now that's where I found ppl very cold and stale...blah!
Wow. . being a bubbly Indiana girl at that time to walk pass someone and say Hello and them not even look at you, was weird to me...I found little eye contact there at all! Now for gays, haven't hardly met or seen any in either place. I have always found Indiana pretty gay friendly, especially in the Lafayette area. My husband who lived almost 18yrs in NW PA and who has never lived in Indiana, thinks Indiana seems very gay friendly from what he has seen from visits.

For all those ppl who keep saying: If your miserable, your going to be miserable anywhere you go, is full of cr*p. I was miserable in NW PA & am in Florida....but I never was in Indiana. Got out, got my feet wet...Now it's time to go back home to Indiana. Now Wait~ I wish it was that easy!!!!! As for the ppl who also say: Nobody should be miserable where they live and they should do something about it...again, I wish it was that easy!!!! Ummm, I guess that would mean I would have to leave my husband, someone I love and has a good job and move back by myself, because he's not ready to move back up north... hmmmm, what to do ~ what to do!!! PLZ ones who usually have heartless, condescending, and snotty remarks: SAVE IT!!!!!

I would like to thank those who responded to my close-minded question and shared there stories.

Last edited by ChickeyDuck; 04-11-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM

165 posts, read 553,304 times
I agree that if you are unhappy you can change that. However, I am trapped in Alaska for at least one more year so I also know that it isn't always easy to solve the problem. Boredom will find you no matter where you are. In FL I got bored, in TX I got bored, in LA I got bored, in IN I was bored and now I'm bored in AK. Weather is a huge factor in happiness. Today it is snowing here and hasn't been over 40* yet all year. We have had snow on the ground since last October and are sick of it. Last July it only got up to 65* so needless to say the weather here is a big downer. My wife and I are so excited to be heading home to IN but we also realize that it isn't perfect there. It's just up to you to figure out what is most important to you and your family. I don't think my wife or I will ever be 100% happy anywhere. We love to travel and experience new things so settling down anywhere will be difficult, but after having the pleasure of visiting all the places we have, IN is our best pick. It also helps that we own a home there too. I used to hate IN, and I couldn't wait to leave and start a new life with my wife. Now, I would move back there today if I could. I'm glad I moved away because it allowed me to realize what I had and made me realize what was truly important to me. I think everyone should experience that, because it will give you an appreciation of what you had or confirm that you really were unhappy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana