Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 32,842 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-
I am new to the forum and have a question about which area is generally preferable and offers a higher quality of living - South Bend or Fort Wayne? My dad is being recruited by one of the orthopaedic companies in Warsaw and we are considering a move to the area. We currently live in Los Angeles area and are used to a high quality of living, what options would there be for us in the Warsaw/surrounding areas for more upscale homes/neighborhoods, safety, shopping, dining, etc.? We are originally from Tennessee, so this wouldn't be our first move.

It looks like South Bend or Fort Wayne might have more to offer than Warsaw, and my dad wouldn't mind the commute, so which area is generally preferable? We are initially leaning towards South Bend b/c of its proximity to Chicago and the presence of Notre Dame, but we are still unfamiliar with the area and are considering all options. Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
One thing to consider, especially with that kind of a commute, is that South Bend gets on average about 50 more inches of snow per year than Fort Wayne does due to lake effect. According to the National Weather Service, South Bend averages about 85 inches of snow per year while Fort Wayne averages 35-40 inches per year. Warsaw is usually far enough southeast to miss out on most of the lake effect snow. Not sure how used to driving in the snow you are. Fort Wayne is more than twice as large as South Bend and does offer a more direct route to Warsaw via US 30. South Bend does offer Notre Dame if you love college sports. That is one thing Fort Wayne can't offer you. South Bend offers easier access to Chicago via the Toll Road or South Shore rail line while Fort Wayne offers you quicker access to Indianapolis via I-69, though if you're used to the LA lifestyle, you may prefer Chicago over Indy.

I've never lived in South Bend, but I have lived in both Mishawaka and Fort Wayne. I enjoyed both. I spent more time going out to experience the city in Fort Wayne than when I lived in Mishawaka, which borders South Bend if you didn't know, but that could be because Fort Wayne had festivals almost every weekend in the summer and a very nice, big park right downtown. Both have very nice minor league ball parks. Both have historic theaters downtown that feature concerts and broadway shows. Both have more upscale neighborhoods, though you may have to go to Mishawaka or Granger and that would put your dad a lot farther away from Warsaw. Neither city really has much in the way of upscale shopping. Just your typical shopping malls you'll find in most cities in America.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 75,100 times
Don't underestimate Warsaw. It's not as bad as you may think (and if you choose to live there, live on the Fort Wayne side of town

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies! What is the approximate drive time from each city to Chicago city center? Obviously South Bend would be closer than Fort Wayne, is it a fairly direct drive? We currently live in the 'burbs and have learned that it's nice to be able to live outside the hustle and bustle but to still have access to a large city if/when you need one

Also, what are SB & FW like in terms of performing arts? I play the violin in several orchestras and stage productions, and would like to keep that up. Is there a city with a particularly respected music scene?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
South Bend is about 2 hours to downtown Chicago depending on traffic. The most direct route is I-90 over the skyway, a toll bridge. Fort Wayne is about 4 hours to downtown Chicago.

Both cities I believe have a symphony orchestra, though I've never seen either so im not much help there.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
I always got from Fort Wayne to Chicago in 3 hours. I did go about 15 over on U.S. 30 after I got past Warsaw, but even going near the speed limit isn't that bad. It's also 2 hours to Indy if you're going from downtown to downtown. I have to say, personally, I'd pick Fort Wayne over South Bend. Fort Wayne is safer overall and has better school districts. If you lived on the SW side, which is the nicest area, the commute to Warsaw would be pretty easy. Also, I always get the feeling that South Bend is a declining city. It has been losing population while Fort Wayne has been growing.

As far as preforming arts goes, I'm not sure how the two cities really compare, but Sweetwater Sound is headquartered in Fort Wayne. I'm not sure if that really means much to you, but they're huge in the music industry. I know Fort Wayne has expanded the Art Museum downtown and wants to build on its art scene.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

144 posts, read 342,280 times
I agree with wh15395. South Bend is a city that has hit its rock bottom of decline. It happened to a lot of other cities in America, once the factories left everyone just stood around waiting for another factory that never showed up until someone finally realized they weren't going to come back; by that time it was too late. As far as the performing arts South Bend does have an orchestra and also has the Morris which brings in a mix of plays, musical, and comedic acts. There is also Notre Dame which has college sports and a performing arts center which my wife and I like a lot. There is also pretty decent access to Lake Michigan, about an hour, which is something I always liked to go do.

As someone else mentioned the winter drives to Warsaw from South Bend are going to be longer and more treacherous because of lake effect snow storms. Drive time to Chicago is going to be about an hour and a half shorter, but the drive time to Indy, no Chicago but still a fun city in its own right, is about 3+ hours depending on traffic and there is also a train that heads to Chicago. From Fort Wayne to Chicago you are looking at about 3.5 hours to Indy about 2 hours. And your drive to Warsaw is going to be easier because their isn't really any lake effect that reaches that far, maybe once a winter I hear the weather man mention the area around Warsaw and lake effect in the same sentence.

The few times that I have been to Fort Wayne I never really got the feeling that there was much of a hustle and bustle for a city twice the size of South Bend, there isn't any hustle or bustle in South Bend. I always felt like it was one big giant suburban city plenty of activity, but it seemed laid out in a way that minimized bottle necks etc., I don't know if that has changed I haven't been in about 5 years. They also do have a few more performing arts venues and most of the big acts make a stop over there between Detroit and Chicago so you are likely to have access to better acts if that is your thing.

Neither city really has the super upscale shopping or dining you will find in a place like NYC, LA, or Chicago, there are a few fine dining places and a few nice shopping areas, but nothing like what you can get in one of the big 3 cities. And I always did feel safer during my visits to Fort Wayne. Warsaw will probably be the safest of any of the areas you have mentioned as it is a smaller town, which may or may not interest you.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the insight. I've noticed that real estate values in South Bend (particularly Granger & Mishawaka) seem to be considerably higher than Fort Wayne, almost twice the price per square foot. Any insight as to why this is?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM

144 posts, read 342,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinotes15 View Post
Thanks again to everyone for the insight. I've noticed that real estate values in South Bend (particularly Granger & Mishawaka) seem to be considerably higher than Fort Wayne, almost twice the price per square foot. Any insight as to why this is?

There are a few subdivisions in Granger that have an abundance of custom $500,000+ homes it is a nice area with the most desirable school system in this area. I don't quite understand Mishawaka being higher if you visited you wouldn't see a whole lot that would blow you away in terms of homes. I can't speak to Fort Wayne home values as I only visited to see concerts and never looked to live there.

At the same time it isn't to say that South Bend is completely undesirable, there are some very nice areas that I would love to live and just send my kids to private schools. It is all in the area you choose, I hope you are asking this same question in the FW forum.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I lived in Mishawaka and now Granger. The cost of living in Indiana is very reasonable. We relocated here 5 yrs ago. There are very expensive homes, some up to a million but then some older homes on the back roads for around 80k in Granger. So pretty much everything in between. Granger is affordable for many people, it just gets a rep of being very expensive because people think of all the big houses and not the smaller ones. This area at one time was considered country and farm land. So that is why you will find a mix of new subs and smaller older ones with small houses. Homes are generally on generous sized lots. My own lot is almost an acre. This probably has to due with land available but also most homes are on septic and well.

Granger has the reputation of being the snobbish area. There is some truth to it. The school district is a major benefit and I was surprised at all the offerings that are available. The decent shopping is on the Mishawka/Granger border and there is a demand of newer shopping and eateries all the time. I actually find some of the shopping to be pretty decent and I had lived most of my life in an area that was probably 5 times the size of this area. Something is always being built and I like that variety is a factor. There does seem to be a segregation of social classes. Blue collar tend to live in Mishawaka and South Bend where white collar live in Granger. I grew up blue collar so Mishawaka felt comfortable to me but also provided things I wanted to get away from. The schools aren't that great, neighborhoods are hit or miss and crime is pretty high in South Bend. Granger was more to my liking of wanting "more" but I have to say I enjoyed the people more in Mishawaka. More down to earth and less pretentious. My neighbors are snobs and I really try not to converse with them too much. I dont feel we really fit in all that much. It really bothered me at first but the longer I am here, the less I care. My husband is blue collar and I am white collar. This seems to miff people. Medical is a major field in the area and most of my neighbors are nurses, MRI techs and so forth.

Depending on your political or religious leanings this can be a perfect fit or make you feel a little bit of an outcast. My husband and I are not religious and democrats. The horror! This area is conservative and most people go to church, or at least the people we run into. We avoid political conversations. Money does seem to be a factor on how people perceive others. My son is in high school is often accused of being poor because we own two ordinary family sedans that are a few years old. So I think some of the kids grow up feeling privileged. This kind of bothers me a bit but kids are well...kids. I have experience with much wealthier areas so I do find it a bit amusing since there is a bubble mentality somewhat. I think because it is so affordable to live here, you can have the big house, nice car, shop quite a bit and eat out quite a bit. I think that is one of things I enjoy most. Having nice things and being able to enjoy some luxuries.

We do get a lot of snow. Oh boy do we get a lot of snow. We did have a mild winter but one storm dumped about 24 inches in one shot so keep that in mind. Being close to Chicago is very cool. I will sometimes drive and other times take the South Shore train. There are many stops along the way and if you take it to the end, it drops you off on the miracle mile. One year my mother came to visit and we went shopping the day after Thanksgiving. We caught the parade, did some Christmas shopping and took the train home. Taste of Chicago is a neat event held in the summers.

South Bend is not really a college town in my opinion. Yes, the university is here but the area around the college is kind of ghetto. Major improvements are being made but I spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor, MI and that is a true college town. The campus is beautiful though. People are friendly for the most part. Its not uncommon for a person in line at a store to start a conversation with you. I just think when you go a bit deeper than just an occasional conversation is where the critical mentality comes in. It just depends on who you are trying to get to know.

Im sorry I cant give you any advice on Fort Wayne. I've been there a few times and it just seemed busy with wide roads and lots of traffic. The map of roads is not that great. Looking at commute times on a map isnt very helpful as freeways are really not in abundance. You have the toll road and the bypass but most commuting is done on regular roads. We looked at going out further but it was too much of a commute for my husband. He works in South Bend. I work from home so it didnt matter to me.

Well I hope this helps. I know I wrote a novel but I know how I felt before moving. So many things to consider. Feel free to ask any questions. I asked a lot from the folks on city data and everyone was so helpful before we moved to the area. Made me feel better about the decision over all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana