Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 24,469 times

Advertisements

We are planning on a move from Maine to Indiana-need help-which city ft.wayne or indy? We're looking for family freindly neighborhoods, with good schools, and low crime. My husband is an EMT, and I am a cosmetologist. We would be looking at the suburbs surrounding the city...any thoughts Have researched alot and can't pick
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
You can find the criteria mentioned in both cities. I'm more of an Indy guy, but Fort Wayne seems like a decent place. Obviously, Indy offers more to entertain one's self.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
Having grown up in both places I can say it depends on what you are looking for. In Fort Wayne it seems like a more family friendly area in the city itself, although the suburbs of Indianapolis are family friendly too. If you live in Fort Wayne, you will be much closer to everything the city has to offer because it is smaller. Also it is cheaper to live in the Fort Wayne suburbs compared to Indianapolis. Both cities have a lot of growth in hospitals and job options for cosmetology are probably equal in both cities. If you were looking to live in a major city, Indianapolis will definitely be your best option, but if you wanted a smaller city with many of the benefits of a large city, Fort Wayne could be better. Also the best public schools in Fort Wayne will be Southwest Allen County and Northwest Allen County Schools. The best public schools in the Indianapolis suburbs will be in the suburban counties (with the best in Hamilton County).

Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
I live in Fort Wayne and couldn't be happier with my choice to move here. Fort Wayne is the perfect sized city for me because it isn't major, but it is still big in itself (and is growing). Fort Wayne is very family friendly and has won awards in past years for being one of the best places to raise a family in the nation. This is highly distinguishable considering that the city itself is not a suburb. While Fort Wayne doesn't not have many suburbs per se (i.e. different city names), the suburbs are actually part of the city limits (some extend beyond them). Southwest Fort Wayne and NorthWest Fort Wayne are definitely the best for new home construction and schools and also offer a lot for families. The downtown is currently being redeveloped and has been for many years now and is really starting to make a name for itself. The shopping is great with two major malls. Minor league baseball teams a plenty.

The crime is fairly decent in Fort Wayne as well, as a city this size is not bad at all. Just stay away from the southeast side of town

However, if you are looking for a major city, Indianapolis is the 14th largest in the United States. The suburbs of Indy are very nice as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times
I think most opinions saying either would work are correct. If you are moving from Maine, even Ft. Wayne would seem big compared to Portland(pop 90k I think, Ft Wayne 240k). Indy would give you a bigger city feel. Indy is also slightly milder in winter than Ft Wayne, course if you are used to Maine winters, you could get by in any cold climate. Both places are family friendly. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Very true, Fort Wayne's population topped out at 251k last year. It has steadily grown over the years and has become a decent mid sized city for the most part.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 24,469 times
Thanks for the replies everyone well we've decided on ...(((((drumroll))))) Ft Wayne because we currently live in a city of about 3k and Beth doesn't want to get lost everyday going to work hehe .
We both had a few laughs reading CDCDGUY's post .
Thanks again Keith & Beth

Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM

You will be very happy with your choice. Fort Wayne is a very attractive city for the most part. What part of FW are you looking at buying a house or building?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
The two cities are very different. Indianapolis is the 13th largest city in the country--as well as the state capital--and offers big city ammenities, including pro sports, the Indy 500 and a great downtown. Indy has a whole slew of good neighborhoods, good schools (but only within the suburban townships), tons of private schools and the most affordable living costs of any large city in America. Of course it has crime like everyone else, but its crime rate is also lower than many American cities, especially cities of similar size. Indy was recently ranked last year as the 2nd best large metro area to live in of any major American city.

Fort Wayne, on the other hand, is much smaller but Indiana's 2nd largest city. Population of about 250,000 in the city limits. Dont know Fort Wayne real real well, but its best asset is its proximity to Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati and Detroit. Fort Wayne is also very very affordable to live. Its economy is hurting just like the rest of America.

You will have to do the research to find out what's best for you. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
I live in Fort Wayne and couldn't be happier with my choice to move here. Fort Wayne is the perfect sized city for me because it isn't major, but it is still big in itself (and is growing). Fort Wayne is very family friendly and has won awards in past years for being one of the best places to raise a family in the nation. This is highly distinguishable considering that the city itself is not a suburb. While Fort Wayne doesn't not have many suburbs per se (i.e. different city names), the suburbs are actually part of the city limits (some extend beyond them). Southwest Fort Wayne and NorthWest Fort Wayne are definitely the best for new home construction and schools and also offer a lot for families. The downtown is currently being redeveloped and has been for many years now and is really starting to make a name for itself. The shopping is great with two major malls. Minor league baseball teams a plenty.

The crime is fairly decent in Fort Wayne as well, as a city this size is not bad at all. Just stay away from the southeast side of town

However, if you are looking for a major city, Indianapolis is the 14th largest in the United States. The suburbs of Indy are very nice as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Correction: Indy is the 13th largest city in the country. Not 14th, unless San Francisco has become slightly larger for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana