Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 AM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times

Advertisements

My husband is a 4th year medical student looking into residency programs in both Fort Wayne and South Bend. (So we'd need to live within a 10-15 minute drive from either St. Joseph's/Memorial in SB or St. Joseph's/Parkview in FW.) We have three kids and want to be in an area with decent schools, nice people, not too outrageous home prices since we'll still be dirt poor for a few more years, and some interesting things to do.

We're originally from the Pacific NW and are kind of liberal (socially), enjoy libraries, art shows, music, good micro-brews, and are kind of goofy/geeky.

Any recommendations or information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Well .... South Bend is closer to Chicago .... Fort Wayne is bigger. Both areas are pretty conservative politically, except for the inner cities themselves.

Have you visited yet? Do you have family in the area?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
South Bend is closer to Chicago, but for occasional trips Fort Wayne is still close. Less than 4 hrs. Both palces have cold winters, but South Bend gets a LOT more snow, as they are in the lake snow belt. That may be a plus or minus to you. Not sure about the cost of living in South Bend, but it is low in Fort Wayne.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
We're originally from the Pacific NW and are kind of liberal (socially), enjoy libraries, art shows, music, good micro-brews, and are kind of goofy/geeky.

Fort Wayne has some nice art shows every now and then, I never pay attention to them because it's not my thing, but I do know they have them!

For music they have concerts at the coliseum throughout the year, I don't go to them just for the fact that I don't want to fight traffic when it's over, it can get pretty hectic.

Microbreweries.

Mad Anthony Brewing - Brewpub
2002 Broadway
Fort Wayne IN 46802
Ph 260.426.2537
Mad Anthony Brewing Company

Warbird Brewing Company - Micro
10515 Majic Port Lane
Fort Wayne IN 46819
Ph 260.459.2400
Warbird Brewing Company, Fort Wayne, Indiana

There is nothing wrong with goofy/geeky either! 2 best buys, 1 circuit city, 1 staples, 1 office depot for the big names. Other stores include stone computer, A+ computer, that might be it. Most people I know don't like stone computer OR A+. They charge too much and their help is garbage!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 AM

You would be closer to Lake Michigan in South Bend. South Bend's cost of living isn't very high either, probably about the same at Fort Wayne. Plus, you can take the south shore into Chicago (just did it on Friday) from South Bend's airport. South Bend/Mishawaka also has the Mishawaka Brewing Company also:

Welcome to NINE G Brewing Company (broken link)

Here's the rest of the state:

Indiana Brewpub and Microbrewery Guide

Both cities have easy access to Indianapolis too ...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Fort Wayne is closer to Cedar Point, and Kings Island in Ohio if you ever wanted to head that way for a little excitement! Fort Wayne is also closer to Satek Winery in Fremont, as well as the Fremont outlet stores.

Fort Wayne has some really nice schools as well. Depends on what you're looking for public, private. A lot of the private places now advertise because their admission is so low. Fort Wayne also has some nice colleges as well. Ivy Tech, IPFW, Saint Francis, ITT(never go there myself), Brown Mackie, and a few others I do believe, but I can't remember them right now. Ivy Tech is getting ready to make an entire new school building here soon.

They also have some really nice areas to live that aren't super expensive.

However it's all personal preference, I like living by Fort Wayne. Second biggest city in Indiana. Lots of things to do, and lots of people.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 AM

South Bend is close to the outlet mall in Michigan City too ... if you have kids, that outlet mall has the only Hanna Anderson store in the midwest!

Hey, this is getting fun ... one upping each other on the benefits of SB v. FW!

Having grown up near South Bend and being a die hard ND fan, I prefer SB to the Fort (went to college near Fort Wayne).

Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM

63 posts, read 391,536 times
I think there are only two real advantges that South Bend has over Fort Wayne.

1) South Bend is a lot closer to Chicago. (But it is an hour further from Indy)

2) South Bnd has Notre Dame.

Other than that I think Fort Wayne is nicer. The snow difference is straggering. If you don't like snow - don't move to S. Bend

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Fort Wayne also has 2 malls, 4 theaters, 6 walmarts, 7 star bucks, toys r us, sams club, mr coney, I can't remember, but more than 4 different school systems, it has also taken up a good portion of allen county. It has it's own FWA is finally seeing price drops in ticket prices. Downtown has the embassy which gets some really good shows, the Lincoln museum, the Botanical gardens, the Grand Wayne Center, and now Harrison Square.

And I can't stand it when people say "The Fort" it makes it sound like trash.

The Fort Wayne childrens Zoo is one of the best zoo's in the Indiana and probably in the nation, the animals have a lot of freedom there and they just added a new ski lift that takes you over the African Velt and it costs 2 bucks and it lasts 9 minutes.

Oh and it's also predicted that with the Harrison Square project that Fort Wayne's growth potential could likely double or triple.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Colleges I forgot:

Indiana Tech
Taylor
IBC

Fort Wayne also has Nickles Bakery, Aunt Millies Bakery, DeBrand chocolates, Edy's ice cream which happens to be made right in Fort Wayne just like DeBrand chocolates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana