Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
Who is that?
Over here he's a big radio person.

go to

Welcome to the Glenn Beck Program

He is also on CNN. I don't have cable.

OH! and another reason Fort Wayne is awesome.

They have Fiber Optic Internet service. And it's outrageously fast, and now they offer tv over it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM

92 posts, read 445,725 times
As an RN who works with at one of the outlying hospitals in the Ft. Wayne area, I have met and worked with several doctors who went through the medical residency program at Fort Wayne. It seems to have a good reputation.

St. Joseph Hospitial in Ft. Wayne has the Regional Burn Center, one of only 2 in the state. Parkview is a level 2 trauma center. Opportunities for lots of experience in either unit. Lutheran Hospital does heart transplants and they just got the okay for kidney transplants.

Since I am not a major fan of snow, I would head toward Fort Wayne.

And yes, South Bend Chocolates can't hold a candle to DeBrands!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:15 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierRN View Post
It seems to have a good reputation.
One of my husband's best friends just did an ER rotation there and that's why my husband has scheduled a rotation through that hospital. His friend raved about it and is seriously considering applying to the residency there, too.

So far, all of the residency programs that my husband is interested in either in SB or FW have great reputations. But they also have a LOT more/better benefits than most other programs. Any ideas on why that is? Is there a huge physician shortage in Indiana or something?

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
FtW also has,,, the Komets!

Don't know that much about SB, have only drove through the Notre Dame campus and area a couple times.

As to FtW - it is a nice area; shopping, restaurants, entertainment [downtown, Headwaters Park, various festivals throughout the year, Embassy, etc.], and so forth.

Rivergreenway Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation - Rivergreenway
nice park system Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation - Home

Can be in Indy w/in 2 hours, Chitown w/in 3, Cleveland ~3.5,,,

The Dunes are a very interesting/scenic area NW of SB - massive sand dunes along Lake Michigan.

You have Amish villages, shopping, restaurants, etc. throughout both areas.

As you also have many other state parks in this region, such as the Pokagon State Park:
Pokagon State Park, an Indiana State Park near Angola, Coldwater

FtW really isn't too bad of an area - I'm originally from the Ozarks of MO, and altho' this area is way too flat for my heart, it is nice, clean, friendly, open, and enjoyable, for both myself and for the family. Boys have been in two school districts, neither were in FtW as we live 30-45 mins NW of the city itself, but both are excellent.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
FtW also has,,, the Komets!

Don't know that much about SB, have only drove through the Notre Dame campus and area a couple times.

As to FtW - it is a nice area; shopping, restaurants, entertainment [downtown, Headwaters Park, various festivals throughout the year, Embassy, etc.], and so forth.

Rivergreenway Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation - Rivergreenway
nice park system Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation - Home

Can be in Indy w/in 2 hours, Chitown w/in 3, Cleveland ~3.5,,,

The Dunes are a very interesting/scenic area NW of SB - massive sand dunes along Lake Michigan.

You have Amish villages, shopping, restaurants, etc. throughout both areas.

As you also have many other state parks in this region, such as the Pokagon State Park:
Pokagon State Park, an Indiana State Park near Angola, Coldwater

FtW really isn't too bad of an area - I'm originally from the Ozarks of MO, and altho' this area is way too flat for my heart, it is nice, clean, friendly, open, and enjoyable, for both myself and for the family. Boys have been in two school districts, neither were in FtW as we live 30-45 mins NW of the city itself, but both are excellent.

Good luck!
Thanks for the great information! But, what the heck are the Komets? Is there a new professional cleaning league with bad spelling? (Sorry, the first thing I thought of was that old Comet cleanser.)

Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
If you like snow, it does snow in Fort Wayne. About 30 inches a year. We had one 7 inch snow last year. So you get a good taste of winter. Lots of smaller one and two inch snows. South Bend gets a lot. And while you miss it in AZ, it could prove to be too much. Both cities are hot and humid in the summer, like Chicago, so you won't really escape the heat.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Oh and also one more thing about Fort Wayne, Glenn Beck loves Fort Wayne.
That's nothing to be proud of!

Regis Philbin, Martin Scorcese, Martin Sheen ... all love Notre Dame and go to games.

As for chocolates ... to each his or her own. SB Chocolates are still yum.

SB also has the Silver Hawks baseball team. You can take the train directly to the Gary Railcats baseball games (nice stadium too). Oh yea, and Notre Dame, did I mention them before? The College Football Hall of Fame.

Let me know if I can pm you the name of an excellent realtor!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
Thanks for the great information! But, what the heck are the Komets? Is there a new professional cleaning league with bad spelling? (Sorry, the first thing I thought of was that old Comet cleanser.)
lol,,, if recall correctly, back in early-mid '50's, w/ the interest of the space-race and such things related to such, the new hockey team in town derived its name from such an interest, with the originator of the team using the spelling of his wife's name Kay to modify the team's new name - supposedly implying a hard hitting, faster, etc. kind of team. Anyhow, they are a minor league hockey team, quite good at times, and enjoyable to watch.

There is also the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory downtown:
Botanical Conservatory - Home

Allen County park system:
Allen County Government - Parks Department (http://www.co.allen.in.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&section id=4&id=94&Itemid=385 - broken link)

Fox Island just south of FtW is pretty cool - during winter months there are snow skiing on the park's trails. Other special events during the year too.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

Let me know if I can pm you the name of an excellent realtor!
Oh! That would be great! Thank you!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
So? Fort Wayne has the Wizards, The Fort Wayne Freedom, the Komets who happen to be one of the best in the UHL!

Fort Wayne also has Three Rivers Festival which is a nice size festival that lasts about a week or so.

And if you want the names of realtors check out remax, coldwell banker, orizon... There are a few more. Can't think of them right now.

Oh yeah and Downtown Fort Wayne also has many events that go on through the summer and fall.

Oktoberfest is one of them. And they also do this little thing where they just try to get people downtown to meet other people of Fort Wayne.

Fort Wayne does a lot for its citizens this much I do know. Oh yeah and did I mention they are one of the fastest growing cities in Indiana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana