Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Right to Work Law passed in Indiana?
Great for IN 11 36.67%
Bad for IN 14 46.67%
Unsure 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM

95 posts, read 283,922 times

Advertisements

Indiana is the first Rust Belt state to become a right to work state like the ones in the South.

Is it good or bad news for IN?

Will it really attract corporations boosting the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM

8,993 posts, read 17,423,561 times
I don't care, and most economic experts think it is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

It is more of a political thing than anything else.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,551,713 times
Good for Indiana. Unlike the Pro-Union Folks here they wont accept the fact that now alot of businesses are actively looking to set up shop in Indiana.
Caterpillar across in Ill-Annoy has a strike going on a Joliet Plant. Caterpillar at this rate should just close that plant like they did in Canada and setup shop in Indiana.
Heck the canadian Auto Workers sure did provide some needed Relief to Muncie
Unions were good until they become the Greed Machines that people in the Democratic party protest as Corporate Welfare.
It cuts both ways

Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 AM

3,970 posts, read 8,554,541 times
It depends on who you are. If you are the owner of a business who has questionable morals and character, it is probably a plus. If you are a worker who is working for such an employer, it could be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Unions were good ...
If the unions are broken now by employers who promise that things will be fine (and employees who weren't around to remember how conditions were before and thus believe it), who is going to watch and make sure that conditions don't start returning to the way they were before the unions appeared.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,483,413 times
The problem with unions is they protect bad employees. Employers need to be able to rid themselves with cause underperforming or plane out dishonest employees without having the wall they get from unions. There is still plenty of goverment recourse for these bad employees to complain to after they get fired. Good employees dont use their protections by unions it is the bad ones who use that protection to keep thier lazy ways.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
It depends on who you are. If you are the owner of a business who has questionable morals and character, it is probably a plus. If you are a worker who is working for such an employer, it could be a bad thing.

If the unions are broken now by employers who promise that things will be fine (and employees who weren't around to remember how conditions were before and thus believe it), who is going to watch and make sure that conditions don't start returning to the way they were before the unions appeared.
The many laws that were passed in response to what Unions Pioneered
We have working condition laws and all that stuff.

Mike your spot on also

Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,554,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
The many laws that were passed in response to what Unions Pioneered
We have working condition laws and all that stuff.

Mike your spot on also
The laws that were passed can be changed just as easily if there is no one there to fight to keep them. We all saw those attempts in Wisconsin and Ohio last year.

I was a union member for over 30 years at a previous job. I never once saw the union try to protect a "bad" employee. There were numerous times where I saw the union make sure that proper procedures were used to remove someone from a position where there was a problem. I saw numerous times where the union tried to work with an under-performing employee to try to help them improve and keep their position. I saw numerous times where the union flat out told an employee, "You aren't doing an appropriate job. You haven't made an honest effort to improve. You ought to consider a career change at your choice rather than being forced into it."

I believe many people hear a story or two about an instance and believe that it is the norm. I personally know more good employees who were let go for no legitimate reason at a non union business, than poor employees who were "protected" by a union.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

95 posts, read 283,922 times
I've lived in Louisiana my entire life and it is a right to work state. I don't know anything about unions except the fact that it can help the working men to have their ways by exercising their rights as a member of the union.

By the way, I found good comparsions:

According to the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2010 Occupational Employment and Wages Estimates htt://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm . Comparing the average medium hourly wage of all 22 Right to Work States (RTW) and all 28 Collective-Bargaining States (CBS) as of May 2010.
  • CBS all occupations average $22.73
  • RTW all occupations average $18.86 a difference of $3.87 an hour
  • CBS Middle School Teachers average $56,784 annual
  • RTW Middle School Teachers average $47,862 annual a difference of $8922
  • CBS Registered Nurses average $34.69
  • RTW Registered Nurses average $29.08 a difference of $5.62
  • CBS Sheet-Metal Workers average $24.56
  • RTW Sheet-Metal Workers average $19.09 a difference of $5.47
  • CBS third-quarter 2011 cost-of-living $117.03
  • RTW third-quarter 2011 cost-of-living $94.46 a difference of $22.58
It looks like it would mean lower wages/salaries for Hooisers and keeping the cost of living lower or more stable for Indiana compared to its neighboring states.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
I've lived in Louisiana my entire life and it is a right to work state. I don't know anything about unions except the fact that it can help the working men to have their ways by exercising their rights as a member of the union.

By the way, I found good comparsions:

According to the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2010 Occupational Employment and Wages Estimates htt://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm . Comparing the average medium hourly wage of all 22 Right to Work States (RTW) and all 28 Collective-Bargaining States (CBS) as of May 2010.
  • CBS all occupations average $22.73
  • RTW all occupations average $18.86 a difference of $3.87 an hour
  • CBS Middle School Teachers average $56,784 annual
  • RTW Middle School Teachers average $47,862 annual a difference of $8922
  • CBS Registered Nurses average $34.69
  • RTW Registered Nurses average $29.08 a difference of $5.62
  • CBS Sheet-Metal Workers average $24.56
  • RTW Sheet-Metal Workers average $19.09 a difference of $5.47
  • CBS third-quarter 2011 cost-of-living $117.03
  • RTW third-quarter 2011 cost-of-living $94.46 a difference of $22.58
It looks like it would mean lower wages/salaries for Hooisers and keeping the cost of living lower or more stable for Indiana compared to its neighboring states.

Plus you gotta weigh on your paycheck by not paying Union Dues.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,677,742 times
I think in the long run it will be a bad decision for Indiana and will not make a difference in attracting new jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: