Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM

161 posts, read 563,202 times

Advertisements

No other state has consistently impresses me as much with their people as Indiana. All my times there, and all the people I have come in contact with elsewhere, have impressed me with their sincere kindess and concern.

For the most part, Indiana is affordable and has a tolerable climate similar to Missouri where I am now. My job in retail is fairly transferrable.

But I am having trouble deciding what city might work, as I have some things to consider. I do not want to live in a huge city like Indianapolis or its suburbs. I also would prefer to not be where they get a lot of lake effect snow.

Here are some things I need/want

Decent selection of 1 bedroom apartments under $550 in safe areas

Public transportation - does not have to be great, but just there if needed. I don't expect evening or Sunday service. I will live where I can walk to work, as I can't drive due to a vision condition

Sidewalks - A city with sidewalks along most major streets would be helpful

Airport - must either have an airport, or have a shuttle service to an airport

Large enough to have most things you would need on a daily basis without having to leave town

I looked into Evansville, but it will not work due to the location of my job versus the closest apartments. I was drawn to Muncie, but the airport situation seems difficult. Bloomington fits a lot of my needs, but I am unsure about living in such a big college town. Someone I know suggested Lafayette, but someone else told me Lafayette is expensive to rent due to nearby Purdue.

I love Indiana. I just hope I can find a city that will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Would Fort Wayne be too large for you?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,708 times
Fort Wayne should probably work. Is 250,000 people too big?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM

250,000 is not necessarily too large, as long as there was a safe part of the city where a lot of things were closely located. (stores, restaurants)

What areas of Fort Wayne are considered safe or dangerous?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,812,634 times
Nearly every part of Fort Wayne is safe, with the exception of the southeast side. The north, northwest, and southwest side of hte cities are where the newest and more shops are available. I would recommend you look at the Dupont corridor in northern Fort Wayne around the Coldwater Road area and north of that. Also, look at the northeast side of the city around Maysville Road.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Looking at a map, and knowing where I would be working, the area around Glenbrook Square Mall just might work. It looks like there are some apartments in the vicinity. Any suggestions on apartments in that area?

Also, just curious. I see the population of Fort Wayne has grown by over 45,000 in the past 10 years. Is that all pure growth, or was there annexation involved? The city growth was 21%, but the metro only 5%.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 AM

625 posts, read 1,812,634 times
Yes, the city of Fort Wayne has grown signfiicantly throughout the last decade. It can be attributed to two things, annexation and people moving to the area. The reason it grew so much was because Aboite township was annexed, which added nearly 30k to the population. HOWEVER, I dictate the overall health of the city by looking at the county population. According to statistics, the county has gained a significant amount of population as well, contributing to the overall health of the economy. Unlike many midwestern cities, Fort Wayne has fared well and by moving here you will be able to see that. There has also been a lot of new home construction over the last 10 years and it shows how sprawling the city has become. You will be fine in the metro area as along as you stay away from certain corridors. All of them are southeast of the downtown.

The area surrounding Glenbrook Mall is nice for the most part. There a few shady nieghborhoods here and there, but overall, it is nice. The main thoroughfare is Coliseum blvd (which is six lanes) so beware that traffic is VERY heavy on this road. It is also a state road. I would consider nearly every apartment in the area. The ones immediately surrounding the area aren't suburban, picturesque apartments but they are not filled with corruption either. I would consider Woodbridge, Archer's Pointe, Coliseum Park, etc. From the outside, these appear decently nice.

Also, there is an economical divide in the city, as all cities have. The southwest portion is the extremely rich portion and a lot of out of towner transplants live there. The northern area consists of the more wealthy as well and the northeast is mainly middle class with a few exceptions of nice areas. Southeast is crime alley and where a lot of manufacturing occurs. Downtown is decently nice and has grown over the years with a new baseball field and new development downtown. Overall, I love Fort Wayne and I think you will too.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
You could look into Fort Wayne. I may not live in the most fancy apartments, but I love the location. It's Coliseum Park Apartments. Its in between a mall and the Coliseum.
In Ft Wayne, the main road is Coliseum Blvd and driving down that road, you will find anything you need or want. A lot of job opprotunities. Our rent is $500 but we have a 2 bedroom.
Just PLEASE, STAY AWAY FROM THE SOUTH SIDE! Not safe, at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,762 times
South bend/mishawaka. Sb has an airport. We are a straight shot 90 miles to Chicago. The winters are brutal though. Decent business but nothing like bigger cities. Close to the lake too if you want a faux version of the ocean lol.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,333,054 times
This thread is a year old .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana