Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,401,361 times

Advertisements

I'm as Latino as they come...brown skin and all. The difference between myself and those who yell "racism," is that I'm a voting/tax paying/law abiding/armed service veteran, United States Citizen who chose to leave the Bronx ghettohood behind in search for a better life.

After 30 years of "California living," I have seen firsthand what illegal immigration has done to this beautiful state. This is not the paradise I set foot on back in 1979. Back then, I felt sympathy for the plight of those who came here searching for a better life. Illegals back then mostly lead "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" lives. They did jobs which kept them out of sight, from which they quietly returned to their homes in the evening. I seldomly ever heard of illegals causing any kind of roucus back then.

It's a complete different story today. I come across illegals who speak of their illegal status quite openly, if not defiantly. They will openly speak of their intentions to usurp laws in order to gain legal status; all the while refusing to speak English. Many drive around without insurance or driver's licenses. Weekends are for excessive drinking from which many accidents occur.

The "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" mentality has been replaced by an "in-your-face" stance. For this reason, I no longer have a shread of sympathy for those who are here illegally, usurping the laws of the land, all the while expecting - if not demanding - equal rights at par with those of us who are here rightfully and LEGALLY. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,758,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm as Latino as they come...brown skin and all. The difference between myself and those who yell "racism," is that I'm a voting/tax paying/law abiding/armed service veteran, United States Citizen who chose to leave the Bronx ghettohood behind in search for a better life.

After 30 years of "California living," I have seen firsthand what illegal immigration has done to this beautiful state. This is not the paradise I set foot on back in 1979. Back then, I felt sympathy for the plight of those who came here searching for a better life. Illegals back then mostly lead "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" lives. They did jobs which kept them out of sight, from which they quietly returned to their homes in the evening. I seldomly ever heard of illegals causing any kind of roucus back then.

It's a complete different story today. I come across illegals who speak of their illegal status quite openly, if not defiantly. They will openly speak of their intentions to usurp laws in order to gain legal status; all the while refusing to speak English. Many drive around without insurance or driver's licenses. Weekends are for excessive drinking from which many accidents occur.

The "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" mentality has been replaced by an "in-your-face" stance. For this reason, I no longer have a shread of sympathy for those who are here illegally, usurping the laws of the land, all the while expecting - if not demanding - equal rights at par with those of us who are here rightfully and LEGALLY. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
God bless you. You have a brain and the ability to see past the media. You are truely a blessing to this country and you are aware that we do embrace those coming here to make a difference rather than destroy what we all have enjoyed. We don't want to turn America into Mexico or Sweden or Canada. Like Rosevelt said regarding illegal immigration, "there is only room for one flag."

Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:

Thanks for your focus and insight, my fellow American! It is you that is going to make a difference in this once great nation.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,401,361 times
For those of us who live in border states, the bottom line question still remains...has the person in question entered the USA LEGALLY? Yes or No? If the answer is NO, then they have broken the laws of this country and have no right to be here. In addition, what are we to do about those illegals who have priviledged themselves by use of the social safety net which was established for the Citizens of this country. Should we merely nod and wink at that also?

If we sit around and do nothing then we are complicit in the law breaking activity of illegal immigration, and that makes us a corrupt people.

As we all know, corruption runs deep in Mexican society. Corruption is the reason why Mexico, the 14th largest country in the world, with its vast natural resources, two oceans, proximity to the USA, and hard working/intelligent Citizenry is unable to wallow beyond its sad state of affairs.

What should be Latin America's "first" First-World country is a poorly managed quagmire which has lost any visage of the potential it once aspired to have as an equal trading partner under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Its ingrained culture of corruption, especially by its elected officials (I'm getting visions of former President Salinas de Gortari) is what places so many of its people in a position of having to choose between drug trafficking or coming to the USA illegally. Drug trafficking, illegal immigration, law breaking...the fruits of corruption.

Should we allow ourselves to be counted amongst the corrupt; the ones who turn a blind eye to what is obviously a violation of the law?

Now that CORRUPTION has entered our property and is audaciously sitting on our front porch, are we expected to do nothing?

What would you do if an intruder trespassed into your property, sat on your porch and declared..."I'm not moving from here and you can't make me go!"

For many of us, our first reaction would be to call the police and maintain an eye on the trespasser to ensure he/she won't get inside our homes. Some of us would rightfully brandish our weapons to let the trespasser understand the consequences of violating the sanctity of our home. But, what happens when hours, days and weeks go by and the police have yet to arrive?

At what point do we, the law abiding Citizens of this country, decide when enough is enough?

For those of us who live in border states, the time has come...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,383,523 times
Default Wish Legals Would Speak Up

Quote:

I wish more LEGAL immigrants would speak up! I think Congress lumps Hispanics all together--legal and illegal, and worries that they will lose votes if they support deporting illegals. I'm sure many legals feel the same way you do!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,538,134 times
The once wink and nod days have spun out of control. As Americans we are often gracious and generous yet blatant abuse toward us spurs animosity to the furthest degree.

Very true statement-ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 AM

44 posts, read 42,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My sentiments exactly! I can’t express my disappointment in Obama. I truly thought he would make a difference, but clearly, he is simply a politician. The despicable pandering to Calderon by Obama and members of Congress was more than I could stomach. Even my mother, a lifelong democrat, and former staunch Obama supporter, has become disillusioned due to his refusal to tackle illegal immigration, and his promises of amnesty. Some say he’s the Anti-Christ. I don’t know if that is true, but I am beginning to believe he is part of a diabolical plan to destroy this country. I hope I am wrong.
Add me to the list of people sorely disappointed in President Obama. He let us all down so much with that cowardly, boot-licking display of his.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM

44 posts, read 42,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Had a friend over for dinner last night. He said the same, he have never voted for a Republican even in local, non partician officies, but will not support Obama in 2012 unless he takes a stand favoring controlling our borders. If he even gives on person amnesty our friend will not vote for him. That is saying alot and now our President has himself in a mess. Regardless of what he does, he will look like a fool..

Nita
I've never voted for a Republican for president either, but I've just made the same decision as your friend. I love Obama's plans for health care reform, but I don't want it if any of that money will go to even one illegal. I'm sick of wasting money on these criminals.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:

perfect explanation:In your face. Thanks for finding a way of saying what many think.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,770,382 times
I fear its already too late,the only thing that could stop it would be a HUGE backlash..
From the american people.I havent seen americans marching and protesting but..
I did watch on tv millions marching for amnesty for illegals.
Some states will put laws in place and act,but for California and a few other states..
Its already too late.We need the sell-outs in Washington DC to know they represent..
The AMERICAN people not the illegals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration