Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,605,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Being oppossed to illegals certainly isn't racist.. Do you have any idea how many legal immigrants hate illegals coming in to our country?

If only a handful of illegals commit crimes for instance, that is a handful too many, we have enough problems with criminals that are here legally, we don't need to add to the problem..

Same with those living on assistance, or getting free educations, many of our states and cities are having trouble supporting those who have not come accross the border illegally...

IF that is racism, I guess I along with 60 to 70% of our country fall into your defininition of racist!!!!

Nita
He is anti-illegal. Tinman was being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,165,945 times
Quote:
Being oppossed to illegals certainly isn't racist.. Do you have any idea how many legal immigrants hate illegals coming in to our country?

If only a handful of illegals commit crimes for instance, that is a handful too many, we have enough problems with criminals that are here legally, we don't need to add to the problem..

Same with those living on assistance, or getting free educations, many of our states and cities are having trouble supporting those who have not come accross the border illegally...

IF that is racism, I guess I along with 60 to 70% of our country fall into your defininition of racist!!!!

Nita
Personally, I think it's actually higher than 60-70% from what I've been seeing. I know of a HUGE amount of FORMER Obama supporters (myself & several friends/family members included) who are no longer supporting him due to his stance on Illegal immigration. Disgusted me to see his Facebook crap about working w/ Mexico & etc., & the way congress applauds when the president of a foreign nation, responsible for most of the illegal immigrants & crime & tax dollars lost here, insults the USA on our immigration policies, that we don't even enforce! Talk about entitlement...!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
He is anti-illegal. Tinman was being sarcastic.
totally missed that, I am so pissed off right now, I can't even see sarcasim anymore!!!!

Nita

Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,635,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Obama is doing a far better job on the border and immigration enforcement than Bush.

Obama Administration Immigration Deportations Exceed Bush’s Record | CommonDreams.org

Nothing will satisfy you immigration hardliners when it comes to this issue.

She was a staunch Obama supporter and didn't know about his views/platform on immigration reform before she voted for him?
At least jorge came out of his coma and ordered troops along the border. In obammer's attempts towards one upmanship over what jorge did, when will obammer send troops to Arizona to stop the Arizona bleeding? When hell freezers over?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Personally, I think it's actually higher than 60-70% from what I've been seeing. I know of a HUGE amount of FORMER Obama supporters (myself & several friends/family members included) who are no longer supporting him due to his stance on Illegal immigration. Disgusted me to see his Facebook crap about working w/ Mexico & etc., & the way congress applauds when the president of a foreign nation, responsible for most of the illegal immigrants & crime & tax dollars lost here, insults the USA on our immigration policies, that we don't even enforce! Talk about entitlement...!
Had a friend over for dinner last night. He said the same, he have never voted for a Republican even in local, non partician officies, but will not support Obama in 2012 unless he takes a stand favoring controlling our borders. If he even gives on person amnesty our friend will not vote for him. That is saying alot and now our President has himself in a mess. Regardless of what he does, he will look like a fool..

Nita

Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
totally missed that, I am so pissed off right now, I can't even see sarcasim anymore!!!!

Nita
I know what you mean. I could eat nails.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Had a friend over for dinner last night. He said the same, he have never voted for a Republican even in local, non partician officies, but will not support Obama in 2012 unless he takes a stand favoring controlling our borders. If he even gives on person amnesty our friend will not vote for him. That is saying alot and now our President has himself in a mess. Regardless of what he does, he will look like a fool..

Nita
Same here. But, I will vote for anyone who will protect the citizens of this country against this foreign invasion. If Obama pushes for amnesty, he will lose millions of supporters. This is one issue that is not divided along party lines.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,165,945 times
Quote:
Same here. But, I will vote for anyone who will protect the citizens of this country against this foreign invasion. If Obama pushes for amnesty, he will lose millions of supporters. This is one issue that is not divided along party lines.
SO true!!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,535 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. I could eat nails.
Pass the ketchup, please.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM

358 posts, read 396,059 times
Quote:
Yes, we WILL be heard, one way or another. Hopefully, the government will not wait until our streets resemble Thailand or Greece.
For much of the 20th century, the average Mexican woman gave birth to seven children. That number has since decreased to an average of 2.5 children per family, largely due to family planning. CNN - Mexico's birth rate drops as planners worry about future - July 28, 1999

I fear that our Government will continue to pay lip service to the American people, while allowing this problem to grow. I see my local politicians pandering to the Hispanic vote, here is my take on this. The above article forgot to mention that during times of recession, birthrates are historically low. Birthrates in America have dropped below the replacement rate (and that is counting the anchor babies). I do not think Mexican's are no longer a Catholic majority, or changed their cultural values overnight- deciding on family planning. We have a crisis in California, anchor babies that are now of voting age are easily manipulated and have family/ parents that are not here legally. In 1965 Los Angeles county was 10% Hispanic, today that percentage has jumped to 47.7%+. Even though the Hispanic community is still lowest voting bloc of all ethnic groups, the high birthrate and legal/ illegal immigrant influx will make it impossible to secure our great country within the next few decades, if not now. "The sheer numbers are staggering. In Stockton, California (2003), 70 percent of the 2,300 babies, born in San Joaquin General Hospital’s maternity ward were anchor babies." http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServerpagename=iic_immigrationissuecenters4608 (broken link)
If illegal immigration is allowed to continue that statistic will be coming to a city near you. But in all fairness, the second and third generation should be assimilated, more educated and contributing to America right?

"Despite sixty years of political and legal battles to improve the education of Mexican Americans, they continue to have the lowest average education levels and the highest high school dropout rates among major ethnic and racial groups in the United States. … However, leading analysts, apparently believing in the universality of assimilation, argue that this is the result of a large first and second generation population still adjusting to American society. … These and other scholars predict that Mexican Americans will have the same levels of education and socioeconomic status as the dominant non-Hispanic white population by the fourth generation."

Ok.. so we wait four generations (only 80 years) for them to assimilate and become educated..

"In education, which best determines life chances in the United States, assimilation is interrupted by the second generation and stagnates thereafter."

Uuuh oooh...

"Sadly and directly in contradistinction to assimilation theory, the fourth generation differs the most from whites, with a college completion rate of only 6 percent [compared to 35 percent for whites of that era]."

We are screwed...

"…the educational progress of Mexican Americans does not improve over the generations. At best, given the statistical margin of error, our data show no improvement in education over the generations-since-immigration and in some cases even suggest a decline."
"…rather than improvements in education in subsequent generations-since-immigration, as assimilation theory predicts, we find quite the opposite. ... Greater parental education, household income, social and cultural capital, and fewer children all contribute to more schooling. However, when these factors are held constant, the highest levels of schooling are for those who immigrated as children but were educated in the United States and the lowest for the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren of immigrants."

Well, they might not desire an education, but they did assimilate by the fourth generation, right?

The great majority of American-born Mexican Americans could speak English, but according to the interviewers 24 percent of the fourth generation Baby Boomers still had a Spanish accent. This marks them out as a distinctive minority.

Ok fine then! at least they identify themselves as being American!

Self-identification as a minority was strong among the American-born Baby Boomer children (especially considering that nine percent of them had one white Anglo parent). "Mexican American" or some variation was the ethnic identity of choice for 44 percent. "Hispanic" (or another pan-Latin term such as "Latino") was selected by 29 percent. "Mexican" or "Mexicano" was favored by 17 percent. Only eight percent selected "American," one percent "white," and one percent "Anglo."

I know, I know. Obviously I must have gotten this info from some Hispanic hating racist, right? This study was conducted by the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center! this is a longitudinal analyses conducted by surveys from 1965-2000. the book is titled Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race Telles, Ortiz 2008.
So this is my ultimate fear: masses of uneducated, ethnocentric people voting on issues like immigration. It's no wonder politicians are doing very little on illegal immigration, they would rather have ignorant people voting with feelings instead of logic. And to let you know Telles and Ortiz wrote the book and justified their surprise findings with this statement: "America's public schools have failed most Mexican Americans, contrary to what they did for European Americans." So remember Americans.. WE are to blame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration