Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,539,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, we WILL be heard, one way or another. Hopefully, the government will not wait until our streets resemble Thailand or Greece.
17 states are following Arizona's lead in response to citizen pressure:

ARKANSAS, IDAHO, INDIANA, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW JERSEY, OHIO, OKLAHOMA, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS, UTAH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post

ARKANSAS, IDAHO, INDIANA, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW JERSEY, OHIO, OKLAHOMA, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS, UTAH
You mean we have that many racist people in the United States?

Hopefully they will get the same support as AZ. (The good kind only. )

Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,387,626 times
Default Not Racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

It's not racist to want illegal aliens out of our country. Especially when many of them are involved with the drug cartel or are committing crimes.

Here in GA, a young woman lied to get into one of our state colleges. She got all the way to her senior year and then was recently caught on a traffic violation and of course, had no drivers license. And--they let her back in the college to graduate. I'd have kicked her b...t back to Mexico. She's taking away a spot another legal student could have held.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,160,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post

Well, come on Kansas, get w/ the program!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

Ah yes, the good old "strawman" racism.

It's all you people have to fall back on when your fallacious arguments for unlawful behavior run out of steam and fall flat.

There is no logical argument against enforcing the law, so you have to resort to ad-hominem attacks against those who support it.

Considering the enormous amount of support this bill has with the average American, I'll bet it just galls you to no end to realize that with such large numbers, they can't all be just a bunch of bigoted white folk, doesn't it?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Ah yes, the good old "strawman" racism.

It's all you people have to fall back on when your fallacious arguments for unlawful behavior run out of steam and fall flat.

There is no logical argument against enforcing the law, so you have to resort to ad-hominem attacks against those who support it.

Considering the enormous amount of support this bill has with the average American, I'll bet it just galls you to no end to realize that with such large numbers, they can't all be just a bunch of bigoted white folk, doesn't it?
Gee, I hope that wasn't directed at me.
I'm on your side.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's not racist to want illegal aliens out of our country. Especially when many of them are involved with the drug cartel or are committing crimes.

Here in GA, a young woman lied to get into one of our state colleges. She got all the way to her senior year and then was recently caught on a traffic violation and of course, had no drivers license. And--they let her back in the college to graduate. I'd have kicked her b...t back to Mexico. She's taking away a spot another legal student could have held.
Did you and Kele miss the at the end of my question?
I want EVERY illegal in the United State - man, woman, AND all their children (anchors or not) - removed from this country. Today! (wouldn't that be nice?)

Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,387,626 times
The lack of action regarding illegal immigrants is not just Obama's problem. CONGRESS does NOT want to tackle this issue before the 2010 election. They don't want to lose the Hispanic vote. Neither Republicans nor Democrats are doing anything about this problem because they are afraid of the political fallout.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The lack of action regarding illegal immigrants is not just Obama's problem. CONGRESS does NOT want to tackle this issue before the 2010 election. They don't want to lose the Hispanic vote. Neither Republicans nor Democrats are doing anything about this problem because they are afraid of the political fallout.
This confuses me.

There are approximately 309,327,418 people living in the U.S. right now. Of that portion, 20% or 61,965,483 are Hispanic or of Hispanic ancestry. If we factor out the low end estimate of 12 million illegal aliens of Latino heritage currently in this country (although we all know the number is higher) that leaves 57,965,483.

Now, out of the numbers above, we know that one must be 18 years old to vote--so using the standard Census Bureau figure of 25% for those under 18 in this country, we find we have a voting block which looks somewhat like this:

Hispanic: 43,474,112
Other: 185,521,452

Historically, Hispanic Americans vote at about 47% of the population. Therefore, in any given state and/or Federal election, the Hispanic vote will account for 20,432,832 votes total, a number smaller than the population of the state of California. Among all others living in the U.S., voting numbers for those not of Hispanic descent average out to be approximately 60% overall. This number then accounts for 111,312,872. Comparing these numbers, we see that the Hispanic vote so many politicians are pandering to, works out to be about 18% of the overall votes cast in this country.

Now correct me if I'm wrong. If one is pandering to a voting block which makes up 18% of the overall voting public to the detriment of the other 82%, it would seem to me that percentile doesn't really give one a winnable margin in any election featuring other than Hispanic voters, especially when the politician or party in question consistently sides with this 18% against the other 82% of the population that votes.

Am I missing something here?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,539,091 times
I've been screaming this for months. The overinflated ego's of those constantly thinking the have such power will *pop* come November, America will speak loud and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration